Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thougth I saw recently (last week?) he was ahead of schedule with the rehab (I'll go see if I can find it.)

(edit: that seems to be essentially what the article is saying albeit not so clearly, with a 9 month timeline from May being jan/feb)

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, I saw it too. But that latest article says they can't realistically expect him to be ready to play until next summer. His contract with Arsenal expires next May.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I read it that way first time too, but it seems less than precise second reading:

"At present the 20-year-old has not given up hope of playing before the end of the campaign, although realistically he may have to wait until the summer to return to full fitness."

Although, realistically, him getting anything beyond U games, if that, in the late spring would be Virgin of Guadeloupe level stuff. I think my joke ran this thread off course, so I'll post any further info in the GZ thread from here on out.

Go Fabio!

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench today vs. Stuttgart. Gladbach up 1-0 in the 2nd half.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He replaced Patrick Herrmann in the 70th minute. BMG won 2-0.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He ran around for about 20-25 minutes. Good for fitness and to give Bruce a visual if nothing else.

9. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Starts vs BVB

Winoman, edcrocker and shotcallin04 repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  11. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Fabian didn't do anything out there. At least he's being consistent with his anonymity at both club and country now

Anderson11 repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not aging all that well. Seems to have lost a gear.

I can no longer call him Fabulous. Perhaps I'll call him Fabuless.

Maybe he gets it going though. Long season.

13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I thought he was good. They had him locked on Pulisic and he only really got beaten twice (?) directly and nothing in a critical spot. His cross at the beginning was pretty good given where the other players were. After that I saw him defending mostly, M'gladbach were getting routed too badly for them to do much else. I thought they weren't worse than BVB by 6-1, but the tactics chosen obviously didn't work and their finishing let them down while BVB's finishing was stellar. 4-2 is probably a more reflective score and I didn't notice FabJo being at fault for any of that, though I am not good at noticing anything but obvious defensive faults, like 'controller disconnected', or 'try to pass out of the penalty box rather than clear it and have it picked off and put in your net' (looking at you, Ginter, I think).

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShaftBrewer and Winoman repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Our boy starting...why would we want a guy who plays in the Bundesliga consistently on our roster, when we can call in the great Gyassi Zardes? Smh.

17. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Ever since the last World Cup he hasn't been the same for club or country; although injuries have definitely had some impact.

He showed his best at the last World Cup playing with so much more passion than he does now I think around that time there were plenty of us clamoring for him as our top player. It's as if whatever professional goals he had set years ago are now unattainable for him so he's become disinterested.

keller4president and adam tash repped this.
  19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He never was better than last year for Gladbach.

Gacm32 repped this.
  20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Agreed, he had a great season for Gladbach when healthy.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No way a cow runs at only 20 mph. Try to corral one of the beasts and you'll see they can run a lot faster than any human. Bet they hit 25+ mph in a sprint.

Pulisic is clocked at 33.8 kph.

PS: 1.6 kph = 1 mph, so 33.8 kph = 21.1 mph.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think this is really really key when figuring out USMNT peformances for all players, not just FJ.

look at bradley and altidore....are they gonna get another big contract after the ones they are currently on? probably not. are they gonna go back to europe? not likely. especially after not playing in WC Russia....i dont think its a coincidence their performances have been listless.

look at jermine jones....he didnt have an MLS deal before brazil 2014...and look how well he played.

I would like to see the USMNT include more players who clearly have something to gain career-wise....because if they do i think you will see better performances and effort....and at the bare minimum the USMNT will actually benefit the players career-wise.

one of the big reasons i think the team failed recently is that there were barely any players whose wallets stood to benefit from team success. howard? nope. bradley? not really. altidore? probably not. arriola? no he just signed a new deal. dempsey? no. gonzalez? nope. etc etc.....

jnielsen and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was making way more money before he came to MLS.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my point is that generally players who have a tangible incentive money-wise are gonna perform better for the national team....players that dont will not.....dont have time to research every player but im guessing it is true.....

i.e. jones....he was up for a new contract with MLS after WC and that contract wouldnt have been as good as it was if he hadnt of played so well in Brazil. he's the type who probably wouldve played well regardless......bit it still money!! there was an incentive and he played well!

but in light of so much apathetic play lately for usmnt...maybe the fact that THESE PARTICULAR players dont stand to gain much by being with the national team at least partly explans their apathetic play.

historically national team inclusion also comes with better $$ for most american players. this last cycle was the first where that wasnt really true....the results suffered.

i think inclusing plyers who can use the USMNT as a springboard is the way to go.....not the players who can use it as a final resting place.

a lot of players play national team soccer for waht it can do for their club careers....some players reach a point where they arent gonna move up the club ladder no matter what they do internationally....mostly cuz of age....these players dont usually do well internationally. i think fj is htting that zone in his career...but i hope he stays with the usmnt cuz i think he can be a difference maker when he is locked in.

25. shockbldxz

shockbldxz Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States