Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gott sei Dank!

2. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    his inactivity due to injury took longer than expected but at the moment things are shaping up well
    maybe he get some minutes at the weekend, we definitely need his prudence to get all of the nine points

contract negotiation is going on
    according to BILD Borussia is willing to offer a four (!) year contract (Johnson already is the third oldest Borusse) and according to a lot of other media Fabian is more than willing to sign: "Max Eberl knows that I totally feel at ease here, it's simply outstanding to play for this club."
    RP points out that he is part of the team-committee, that he is beloved and respected and that he has made his best matches in midfield...

3. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I accidentially deleted the bold word above

HartwickFan and Winoman repped this.
  4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Isn't he just as good on the right? His runs in the World Cup from the right FB position were outstanding one of our best players. Nah be doesn't seem to do as well on the right.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    His play and inverted overlaps from the RFB were often very effective. I don't think we ever had the rest of the tactical piece in place to really make them count (and they would get exposed on a club team more quickly - or more often, let's say.) but he was not bad in that role at all. The one place I've yet to be impressed with him is the #10/SS thing they had him do for a couple of games. Just doesn't seem his best look. Fabio needs/likes vertical space.

6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    yes, I still have his WC-runs in front of my eye but at least in one game he got surprisingly much space if I remember correctly ;-)
    anyway: RP (Rheinische Post) is a local newspaper (with a sizeable catchment area though) which is solely aiming on Gladbach-supporters... the full quote is "Favre [...] liked to see him in left midfield. There he played most of his matches for Borussia - and above all his best ones."
    it's important to point out that in left midfield Wendt & Johnson complimented each other fabulously under Favre, when Schubert switched to 3-5-2 Wendt started looking bad

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523, HartwickFan and Winoman repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and schrutebuck repped this.
  10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Today's the first time Johnson makes the squad since March 16.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Johnson played 24 minutes. His sub appearance was interrupted by a delay due to severe weather in the 78th minute, but ultimately the match resumed and finished as a 1-1 draw.

Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  12. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first time playing in two months is very good news

13. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Great news for FabJo, especially w/ the contract extension. I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets into coaching after his playing days like Dolo.

He seems to be very well liked by the team and management at at Gladbach.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Johnson earned his first start since March today, playing right back, and was subbed out after 74 minutes with a 2-1 lead. It looks like it will be a 2-2 final.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #3116 Bananenflanke, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Nico Schulz was approached by H'heim and when he asked the manager about his 'situation' at Borussia he was told that there is Wendt (again and again) and that Johnson is able to play that position, too
    Schulz took this as an extra-broad hint and ... left
    which (most likely) means:
    a) Hecking is planning to play back four (most of the time at least)
    and with the prospect of Elvedi & Jantschke sharing the right back position in this case:
    b) Johnson has to find his place on the left side... with two options at least
    LB: Wendt (clearly a more offensive LB with sometimes weak defending) still seems to be ahead... Kolo (might be leaving), Doucouré (not combat ready for some time) & Jantschke played on this position before... but for my liking Johnson should be the No.2 option here
    LM: Grifo is new in (excellent technique and set-pieces, effective assister) should be ahead (alternatively he could get a more central role)... further contenders: Herrmann (whose legs momentarily are not the strongest), Hofmann (often playing more central)
    conclusion: I guess Fabian's place on the bench should be pretty save at the very least, should Wendt or Grifo weaken slightly, be suspended or injured OR should Hecking once in a while choose to play more defensively he should be a starter (of course you never know, especially me ;-)

Johnson-stats according to RP (from end of May):
    108 matches: defense (left or right)
    129 matches: midfield (left or right) OR offensive winger

Gladbach (103 matches):
    75 : left midfield
    11: right midfield
    7: defense [6 of them on the right, only 3 of them as part of a back four defense/RB (like WC 2014)]

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's never struck me as the coaching type. He doesn't exude leadership on the field.

18. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Q: Do you feel the pressure now? Apparently Fabian Johnson should challenge you.
    Wendt: "I don't know. He prefers playing in midfield I think. But he surely can play as full back, he over all showed it at the national team."
    when asked about his closest friend in the team Fabian said that he's getting along very well with ... Oscar Wendt

Fabian started Tegernsee-training-camp with Borussia (the locks are off!)
    it's his longest pre-season with Borussia, thank you Mr. Bruce Arena!
    that's good because Fabian often was a slow starter into season; he said he's looking forward to not always lagging behind this time while he doesn't like that there will be more training sessions and less games compared to last season

sakibomb523, Winoman, Dage and 1 other person repped this.
  19. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Johnson may quit United States team after 2018 World Cup
    http://www.espnfc.com/united-states...-quit-united-states-team-after-2018-world-cup

Snip:
    United States international Fabian Johnson has indicated that he could opt to retire from national team duty after the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Johnson, 29, has won 56 caps for the U.S. since making his debut under former coach Jurgen Klinsmann in November 2011.

However, the Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder, who can also operate in defence, said his priorities had changed since the birth of his son Sean in March.

"I still really enjoy playing for my country, but there is an agreement with head coach Bruce Arena that I will only play in the more important matches," Johnson told Bild.

He said it "could very well be" that he opts to quit after the 2018 tournament, for which the U.S. has not yet secured qualification.

"The World Cup is, in any case, a major goal," he said. "It was outstanding in Brazil, and I am now looking forward to Russia."

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine by me. He will be 34 for 2022 (wherever it occurs), probably time to be clear and make room for younger players. Good signal of loyalty back to a club that just gave him a rich extension. Makes sense.

Zinkoff, Winoman, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta give his focus to keeping that starting spot at BMG. Understandable

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem with Fab considering his options after the WC. He will hit 30 and odds are against him making the squad in 2022. Ending your international career has extended the club career of many, many players. Close to home it added 5+ years to Brad Freidel's career. National team aside, I hope to goodness a MLS team makes an approach for him after the WC. That's my hope. I'd rather see that happen than he extend his international career.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy hasn't lived a minute in the US, has very limited connection to the US. Seems pretty unlikely that he has great aspirations to live here in his retirement. I would do the very same thing though if I'm Fabian. THe only suggestion I would make is that I wouldn't tell the world that I've made some agreement with the NT coach to only play in "important" matches. What's important? Is a pre-WC friendly against a good team to develop chemistry between players unimportant? Is a WC qualifier against a minnow unimportant? I guess that is up to Bruce, but it sounds more like Fabian has a say in it now as well. The way it comes across is that he thinks he is too important to be wasted on certain matches. He ain't that old.

Suyuntuy, Gorky and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I def concur. Friedel made the right choice there.