Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    excerpts from an extensive RP interview with Fabian (3 pre-season goals so far):

1) injuries

All supporters remember your two goals against S04 in march ´17; maybe your best match for Gladbach. After that you were injured again and again and more or less lost 1 1/2 years.

There was not much of me to watch last season. I had bad luck with an injury and when I was back the next injury hit - that was very annoying. That's why I've tried to work a lot on myself so that something like this will not happen in the next season.
    First of all, I had to do a lot for my neck which had caused me the most problems. When that was good again I worked off the program of the coaching staff and again and again trained my back a bit.

What was the problem with your neck?

It was about the intervertebral discs in the cervical region.

2) his ‚new‘ role

The new 4-3-3 is a big issue at the moment. As a left winger you play on your favourite postion. What makes this system interesting for you?

I can bring in my speed quite well. I‘m not a player who has to outplay two opponents by all means. For me it‘s all about pushing directly forwards.

Defensively there is more pressing than before. Does that fit you?

I think I‘m still good at defending, especially because of my experiences as a fullback. I know how it works even though pressing is a something different.

For four years you repeatedly formed the left side with Oscar Wendt. In the best of times you seemed to understand each other blindly. What is still special about this duo?

We just understand each other. Oscar often plays in an offensive manner. And when he runs past me he doesn‘t need to run 50 meters backwards after that but only 20 because i‘m covering the side.

If Dieter Hecking would ask you to play as a RB [Lang is injured] you wouldn‘t exactly jump for joy, right?

If the coach needs me there then I'm playing right back, no question. But I prefer playing as a left winger. The coach knows that and therefore uses me there.”

Nonetheless the role on the left is different from before. You now (have to) lurk at the offside line to go deep in the right moment. How does the new system change the Gladbach game?

The way to the goal is a bit shorter for the outside players. Hopefully we will be more dangerous by this.

What kind of left-winger are you: the one who runs right on to the baseline or the one who tends to move into the middle sooner than later?

Actually, I would be stupid to reveal that (laughs). As I said the way to the goal is shorter from this position. That's why I'll look for this path more often.

3) national team

Will the national team play a role again?

I hope so. Honestly, I do not know because after the failed World Cup qualification I hadn’t any contact with the US Association. It is also not clear who will be coach in the future. I'm just as smart as you are.

Would you then first target the Gold Cup 2019 in the US or would even the 2022 World Cup still play a role in your plans? You would be almost 35 by then …

Honestly, I don’t think that far. First of all I would like to return to the national team and that's what I'm working on.

gunnerfan7, adam tash, neems and 8 others repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he didn't want to retire just didn't like the coach or maybe is just saying it to save face?

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You don't say...

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    from TF:

Fabian Johnson: The opportunity to get started again

Last season Fabian Johnson virtually played no role due to injury. Now he is back and could become an important component. The new system gives the 30-year-old the opportunity to start all over again.
    Last season was sobering for many players of Borussia Mönchengladbach - especially for Fabian Johnson. The US international only played 10 Bundesliga- and two cup games. His only goal of the season was the 1-0 goal for the break against Leverkusen - the final result is known. 465 minutes Bundesliga - that was definitely a season for the garbage can.
    Yet Johnson was assigned an important role in the team. Given his age and equipped with a wealth of experience he should take a leade rol. But instead of taking initiative in the field and in the cabin he for months was struggling with 'back problems' that put him out of action for almost the entire second half of the season.
    But just in time for pre-season the situation has improved. The "back problems" have now been publicly specified: Johnson had difficulties with the discs in the cervical region.
    One will observe a fresh and agile Fabian Johnson at the training ground - as in the best of times. This gives hope even though all parties are still sensitized given the history of injuries. There is no guarantee that the problems in the neck are finally solved.
    Currently it looks as if Fabian Johnson could have the opportunity to start again. It benefits him that Dieter Hecking changes the system to a 4-3-3 and is planning to use Johnson for the left position in front. Johnson himself views this role as his ideal and, accordingly, pushes himself to make his mark.
    And indeed: rarely has one seen the US national player as aggressive/biting and concise/grasping as in these days. He consistently is going all the way, be it in 1on1s or at finishing. When you think about a possible starting eleven for the opening match against Leverkusen there is just no getting past him in his current condition.
    Until then however there are still a few weeks and Johnson must continue to confirm the good impression. In addition Thorgan Hazard who is a direct and high-profile rival for the left place in front is joining the team soon. Nonetheless it should be noted that Fabian Johnson's recent development is really positive. Should he go on and above all stay healthy he should be used much more often than last season.

7. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Yup, crediting him with an assist. He also almost scored in the 10th min but was denied by a great save

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Almost scores again on a volley from a tight angle but good save

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of his latest interviews, he was asked if he would want to continue to play for the USA and he said he was open to the idea if asked.

adam tash and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Not a bad option off the bench behind the current youth movement.

Winoman, laxcoach, LouisZ and 1 other person repped this.
  13. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Good chances at 25 seconds and 2:00
    assist at 1:20

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Winoman repped this.
  14. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the number change is only for pre season games? He is No. 23.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he gets back on the USMNT. especially at LB....but if he can play as aggressively as the reports indicate, then at midfield, too.

16. RolandLGIII

RolandLGIII Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Maine, USA
    In form, healthy, 30 year old Fabian Johnson is one of our 3 best players. He should be playing left winger pinching in to the attack.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idk he's rarely/never(?) looked good in an advanced role for usmnt....he's played well at outside back though...that's where i'd play him.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Left mid in a 4-3-3 suits him really well. I just hope he stays healthy so we are reminded just how good he can be this season.

19. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    An in form 30 year old -Motivated- Fabian should be a starter. Maybe it was the coaching or locker room, but he wasn’t so hot for us the last cycle if I remember correctly.
    He also said he would be done after WC with international fútbol.
    And I would rather him a bench option so that the Robinsons and Weahs/Pulisics get that time on the left hand side

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe at the club level but he has generally looked mediocre to poor in that position for the usmnt

21. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I thought he was retiring after the 2018 WC cycle from international play.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    when did he say that?

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he just said recently he would like to keep playing for usmnt but doesnt know who the coach will be etc

24. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    During the cycle, IIRC, like a year or two ago. I may be mistaken.

25. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember hearing that as well around the same time, but of course I can't find the source now.

Either way, it's encouraging to see Fabian regaining his form. If healthy and in form, he's one of our top-5 players right now. He may end up being too old in 2022 (he'll be 34 going on 35), but could be a useful contributor to help us defend our 2019 Gold Cup title and help us through the semifinal round of WCQ in 2020. Heck, he'll be 32/33 for much of the Hex, so assuming we make it that far in qualifying ( :) ), he could still be in the squad rotation, especially if we don't develop more wing depth or if Antonee Robinson doesn't take over the LB spot this cycle.

USMNT history is full of veteran players who contributed during WCQ cycles but didn't make the final World Cup squad. In the 2006 cycle, I remember Earnie Stewart hanging around the team in the semifinal round in 2004 and helping us. In the 2010 cycle, guys like Pablo Mastroeni, Brian Ching and even Eddie Lewis played a role in helping us at time. In the 2014 cycle, a little-known fringe player named Donavan (or Donovan, maybe?) popped in a goal at a rather opportune moment against a rather notable opponent in the Hex, and Eddie Johnson was a pretty important contributor to the team in 2012 & 2013 WCQ matches as well.