FA WSL 2015 : Season 5

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by shlj, Dec 2, 2014.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Current budgets are not huge in England, we are talking ( allegedly) from around $ 1, 500, 000 from the richest to $210,000. We are talking around 5,000, 000 € in France for the two big teams.

Average attendance are going up in FA WSL 1

1 076 compared to 728 in 2014.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Final table

1. Chelsea 32 pts
    2. Manchester 30 pts
    ------------------
    3. Arsenal 27 pts

This is the same top 3 as the men's premier league 2014/15....

4. Sunderland 20 pts
    5. Notts County 15 pts
    6. Birmingham 13 pts -7
    7. Liverpool 13 pts -9
    -------------------------
    8. Bristol 8 pts

Champions League 2016/17 for Chelsea Ladies and Manchester City

Relegation to FA WSL 2 for Bristol Academy

Promotion to FA WSL 1 for Doncaster Belles and Reading Women

Promotion to FA WSL 2 Sheffield United

As previously said on the thread :

FA WSL 1 2016 9 teams
    FA WSL 2 2016 10 teams

Goalscorers League table :

Beth Mead Sunderland 12
    Natalia Sanchon Arsenal 7
    Eni Aluko Chelsea 6
    Jess Clarke Notts County 6
    Gemma Davison Chelsea 6
    Toni Duggan Man City 6
    Chioma Ubogagu Arsenal 6
    Rachel Williams Notts County 6
    Izzy Christiansen Man City 6

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nice to see the Belles back up in the top flight!
    Looks like the game still has to grow a little bit, as WSL2 was lacking parity quite a bit....

FootballAmator repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well the second level is 99% amateur players who train twice a week. There are probably 10 good players out of 10 teams.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    True, but that's why I said there's still growth to be had.
    And if it's 99% amateur players, you would expect a fair amount of parity anyway aside from the team that has a few of the really good ones rising to the top - but we're seeing a lack of parity top-to-bottom, it's not like there are a few class teams and then the rest all clumped together.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Parity is linked to mediocrity imo, teams tend to get dragged towards a medium level rather than up their quality overall.
    From what I have seen in the last 3 years the youth training system with the center of excellence is starting to produce better quality players technically speaking, so the overall level in FA WSL1 & 2 will grow in the next few years.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't see Ji So-Yun in the goalscorers table. Was she anyway key in Chelsea's title, as she was last season in their fight until the last game?

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes she finished with 5 goals and scored the FA Cup winning goal. They played her higher on the pitch this season. Last year as a 10 this year as a false 9.

blissett repped this.
  9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here is Ji's goal for Chelsea a week back. you might need a big screen to watch but notice how she expertly settles the ball before she strike

last season, Ji won league mvp. Not sure, but I would go this year with either her team mate, the old style winger, Gemma Davison)(she's the one that cross kicks the ball in the video) or since Chelsea was really stacked this year. scoring leader Beth Mead of Sunderland.

The underrated Davison has now won 4 league titles; at Chelsea 2015, Liverpool 2014, Arsenal 2012 WPS/Flash 2011. So at least with Davison on your team, you know at least your going to win a championship!

blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gem has also won a very long list of trophies with Arsenal Ladies prior to 2011 ( she played there from 2005 to 2010) ... including the UEFA Women's Cup back in 2006/07

blissett repped this.
  11. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I got asked to compile a Top Ten Players in WSL for this season for a national newspaper (before Sunday's last round of games). They used it in print but for some reason nowhere to be found online. Tried to maintain some balance of teams etc. You may be interested (and please pull it apart - these things are for debating):

In reverse order (drum roll)…

10. Kerys Harrop, Birmingham City (centre back)

Has brought an understated consistency and calm to the centre of defence, during a season in which Blues were down-on-their-luck for lengthy spells.

9. Mary Earps, Bristol Academy (goalkeeper)

Basement side Bristol Academy started 2015 poorly but have gamely battled on and improved – several scorelines could have been higher without Earps’ brave and acrobatic displays.

8. Alex Greenwood, Notts County (full back)

Left footed Greenwood’s ability to deliver shots and dangerous crosses sees her lead the league in assists, alongside speedy forward Jess Clarke, has been County’s standout performer.

7. Casey Stoney, Arsenal (centre back)

The evergreen central defender continues to shine and lead by example, revelling in the partnership with newcomer Jemma Rose and excelling in the Gunners' solid back line.

6. Ji So-Yun, Chelsea (midfield/forward)

With Liverpool’s Fara Williams missing the second half of the season due to injury, the unselfish South Korean playmaker Ji takes sole claim of the moniker ‘league’s classiest technician’ and remains a footballing joy to watch.

5. Steph Houghton, Manchester City (centre back)

The Lionesses’ captain has also skippered and marshalled City’s strong defence, turning in impressive individual displays (adding three important league goals), as the team’s true quality has emerged in the second half of the season.

4. Gilly Flaherty, Chelsea (centre back)

Another leader on the field, with guts, guile and crucial goals from set pieces, Gilly and co have created a sturdy stability upon which Chelsea’s flair filled forward line can flourish.

3. Izzy Christiansen, Manchester City (midfield)

Jill Scott played a key role in the side’s pre World Cup break displays but an effervescent Christiansen has increasingly provided the bustling industry, spark and goals for the City midfield (five in the league), earning her a well-deserved first start for England, in Estonia last month.

2. Gemma Davison, Chelsea (forward)

Loves to run with the ball and take on defenders, Davison is a tricky, flying winger – always a potential catalyst performance-wise - who shares her team mates’ determination and winning mentality and is looking to win back to back titles having been with champions Liverpool, in 2014.

1. Beth Mead, Sunderland (forward)

Speed, tenacity, all-round finishing prowess and a hatful of goals (12 strikes in 13 games makes her the league's top scorer by some margin) - even as a lone striker she's proved a handful for almost every defence she has faced, in her first, stellar season, in the top flight.

Only thing missing from her game is an England call-up!

debzy, blissett, hotjam2 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would have Mead, Lindhal, Flaherty, So-Yun, Fahey, Stoney, Duggan, Davison, Boho-Sayo and Earps.

blissett repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WOW! I've picked either Mead & Davison for mvp in my previous post, but Christiansen was my third choice !!!, just didn't think anybody would believe me that she's looked better than any of her Man City, NT stacked team mates like Bronze, Houghton, Duggan & Scott.

It's a shame that the top 3 weren't even on the WC squad. Got the feeling if they were, England would of gotten passed Japan and into the finals. But than it would of been up to Sampson to use them, some of his picks as starters Rafferty & Bassett, were weak links, as well as starting Chapman(vs Japan), even Spence(her Chelsea teamie at mid) looks better! and he still favoring Ellen White, compared with what's he's got now(if you add Mead, Carter & Parris to the table) Ahh........what could of been!

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't actually need big screen, not because the video is crystal clear (it is a little pixeled instead, so you're right that it would need a close-up), but because I was used to see Ji So-Yun's "magical" tricks like this one day-in day-out when she was playing for INAC Kobe Leonessa. :giggle: I guess there are very few players around that have ball-control technical skills that can be compared to hers and I am quite sad that South Korea didn't impress enough at WWC this year, because a player like Ji would deserve more international recognition (I mean, whoever saw her play, in Korea, in Japan or in England, knows what she's worth, but how many outside from these countries can really assess her value? :cautious:).

Micol repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the England vs China game

a bit disappointing out of England, coach Sampson puts a lot of speed in his lineup with the likes of Aluko, Sanderson, Bronze, Jill & Alex Scott, but it's defense that proves disastrous, both Chinese goals scored are unmarked and simply no pressure put on the Chinese even though they're playing from an defense/counter attack stance. Davison finally gets to play but refrains from her patended dribble/drive style until she finally sets up Aluko for England's goal. Sanderson proving that despite some skill, she's not just a team player. Commnentary is in Chinese(as well as the lineups). So I posted the lineup below for England(as good as I know how) I take it the strikingly attractive Chinese gk is Wang Fei?

gk....................Bardsley

df....Bronze..Scott....Houghton....Flagherty

md,..J Scot...Potter...Christiansen...Davison..

fw........Sanderaon...........Aluko

ps sorry about any misspeliings!

blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :laugh:

Appreciate your sense of humour

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    no surprise, Carli Lloyd's bomb at the WC finals just got nominated as FIFA's goal of the year(men or women), but here was the FA's top picks for the season in the WSL. Dunno who finally won, but I'll go with Toni Duggan's 2nd as she gives a lil dance after scoring it

18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Very talented Dutch playmaker Danielle Van de Donk has announced three days ago that she will join Arsenal FC.
    I guess the Londoners were looking for the new Kim Little.....;)

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    don't know who won 2015 mvp yet, but here a few highlights of my two top choices; Gema Davison & Beth Mead

the whole focus is on Gema here, as she's playing with the NT in their last game vs Bosnia

you could all this the Beth Mead show, but her team in highlights vs Notts County. I would pick her as my personal choice of mvp. She definitely gets the better of Alex Greenwood(the hot blond fb & another of my faves). Yet NT coach is keeping her under wraps with still no NT appearances(while rostered)

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here is the full list of the awards :

• Vauxhall England Player of the Year Lucy Bronze
    • Vauxhall England Young Player of the Year Beth Mead
    • FA WSL 1 Players’ Player of the Year Beth Mead