FA Cup: Spurs v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I hate Chelsea so much

Count Chocula repped this.
  2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems crazy in a 4-2 match that a defender would be named man of the match, but I'd have to agree, Luiz bossed the backline

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Will need to figure out how to play at Wembley very quickly.

4. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. that the Spurs luck all right...

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Poch must insist that they shrink the pitch and cut the grass shorter for starters.

6. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs didn't play all that poorly. bit of luck goes the other way and its 4-2 Spurs instead

Lazy Assed Assassin and mekarshalev repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Agreed. Emotion has the better of me.

Slow start. Uncharacteristic defensive errors and a shallow bench to change things up. Otherwise a good performance

8. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't start well, didn't end well. We played better and dominated large portions of game but they got rub of green against run of play when they needed it. That and a crafty dive sum it up. So close yet so far, team isn't quite there yet in terms of winning anything.

Put this behind and finish the league strong. COYS!

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I have not enjoyed this day.

10. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the obvious dive and the limp refereeing.

our 'amazing' coach really screwed the Poch with that line-up....we were already handicapped from the get go.

Face it.

11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Where did he handicap the team?

12. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Now I don't share Leocal's perspective of Poch, but playing Son at left wing back was a move which looked bizarre before kick-off, and turned out to be a terrible mistake. Effort does not equal being able to defend and Son's attacking qualities were completely nullified by his hesitance to take on his man, knowing he would leave the team exposed were he to lose the ball.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the match reports, seeing the highlights, and reading this thread, two things jump out at me.
    1 - Son playing left wing back (saw issues when I saw the line up)
    2 - Of the 6 goals which were scored, 4 could be considered World class. And when you give up a penalty, it is hard to defend against that.

It was a sad loss, but I think we must recognize that Spurs were missing Rose and Walker. If those two were on the pitch, from everything being said, I can see the match going in favor of Spurs.

Anybody know why Son started in place of Davies?

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  14. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my guess...Davies got skinned at Liverpool, Poch was worried Chelsea's pace would skin him in this one as well

15. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Didn't like the lineup. Other than Trippier for Walker (which is at least like for like), it smacked of trying to get our best 11 available players onto the pitch at the same time but not necessarily all in their best positions. Davies for Son would have given much better balance, and Son coming off the bench could have had the same impact that Hazard did (n.b. not saying he's as a good as Hazard, but he offers the same in terms of fresh, quick, skillful legs to chase a tired defence).

Gutted that we lost in the semi (again), gutted that we lost to Chelsea, but let's face it. We play like that against anyone else in England (and I include Man City and Arsenal in this), we'll Thomas Mueller them. Chelsea are just that good a side, and we matched them in many respects to the point where the same game played on a different day could have gone the other way.

soccernutter and Phillyspur repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Watched on DVR, as I was out marching for science. Quite an exciting match. It seems to me the real difference is just that Chelsea has a deeper squad. They had guys on the bench who could come in and make a real impact; we did not. That is where it comes in handy to have shitloads of money to spend.