PBP: FA Cup Quarterfinals: Manchester United v. Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yanited charged with failing to control their players but it sounds like Rojo will escape punishment.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    But the thing is, ManU fans think the first yellow was ridiculous and that they barely hacked Hazard. This is what I mean when I say fans are biased. If you can't agree on the basics, what's the point? Hence my desire to just admit we're all wearing our own color tinted glasses and accept that.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ridiculous Rojo did not get a ban because Oliver saw it? Why is Oliver not getting any punishment because he missed just a blatant stamp?

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    While I get your point, I would be livid if a numb nut from our team made a foul 5 seconds after my captain was warned about the number of fouls.

Blueallthru repped this.
  5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly not sure but the FA do like to make sure the referee is not undermined and if Oliver says he saw it and dealt with it, not much they can do.

The general argument around stamping is off in the first place. X player didn't mean/see Y player on the ground. I'm sorry, but these are people who are literally played millions of pounds because they know exactly what they are doing with their feet and don't need to be looking down.

These are not normal people but those with excellent coordination (with the possible exception of John Stones) and should be held to extremely high standards (I include Costa in this and do not condone his antics in this same area).

6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tbf several United fans do seem to be seeing it that way.

Don't blame a lot of them for drinking the Jose koolaid as manyyyy CFC fans bought into the campaign nonsense.

7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I actually find it hilarious and think it's apples and oranges. A good chunk of Yanited fans despised Jose and never thought he was up for it. Now all of a sudden he's the Messiah. You are absolutely right about Chelsea fans though, especially myself. Mourinho has been wanker for quite some time though.

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've said it countless times but I think a year off would benefit him. It's quite obvious his time at Madrid broke him.

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, good shout.

Although it's fair to say we all have our own 'specs' on when viewing matches, it's also true to say that, if a CFC player made THAT foul immediately after the team captain and another guy had just been given a talking to, I'd feel like giving them a punch in the mouth for stupidity.

I mean, WTF were you thinking??? :mad:

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Mourinho on criticism from Chelsea’s fans:

“They can call me what they want,” he said. “I’m a professional. I defend my club. Until the moment they have a manager that wins four Premier Leagues for them, I’m the number one.

“When they have somebody that wins four Premier Leagues for them, I become number two. But until this moment Judas is number one.”

It's not like I don't agree, but jeez guy.

12. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Mourinho on criticism from Chelsea’s fans:

“They can call me what they want,” he said. “I’m a professional. I defend my club. Until the moment they have a manager that wins four Premier Leagues for them, I’m the number one.

“When they have somebody that wins four Premier Leagues for them, I become number two. But until this moment Judas is number one.”

It's not like I don't agree, but jeez guy.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Def have specs on when it comes to this stuff, but I have been insanely frustrated with the targeting of Hazard the last couple years. He is subject to a lot of bad fouls and to his credit, has never been labeled as a diver.

Plenty of United fans seem to agree that Herrera played with fire and got burnt. If the ref were consistent with his yellows then they probably would have ended the match with even less men.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think it broke him, but I think it made him a lot meaner. His Madrid stint was the first time he really lost his locker room (remember the "I'm not happy" incident from Ronaldo?), complicated by losing the press in large part because he dropped Casillas. Between having a difficult locker room and a confrontational press, he got more confrontational himself. I think that made him a lot harder, and he simply doesn't need to be that harder in any other place; Real is very unique. He was also, as I said at the time, a bad fit for Real culturally, who see themselves as aristocrats of football, rather than a team to create a siege mentality about themselves.
    I'm not sure a year off will help Mourinho much.

Wrath and Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm of the same line of thinking. Madrid just magnified the more negative aspects of his managerial personality.

When he first came to Chelsea, there was arrogance but a lot of it was front and deflected attention from the squad to himself. The change largely happened when he wasn't a media darling in the same way and he became increasingly defensive and bunkered. Managing Real where success is demanded each year took away his biggest weapon - winning trophies. Simply winning was never enough in Madrid whereas for Chelsea then (and United now) a lot can be overlooked because of the success.

Being out of action for a year would allow most people to reflect, but I'm not sure that's in Mourinho's character.

Naughtius Maximus, Wrath and nicephoras repped this.
  16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Not only is it not in his nature, I expect that an introspective Mourinho is a worse manager.

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Broke may be strong, but it definitely did something and then some to him. I can definitely agree it made him meaner. For all the reasons you mentioned, and I think it's obvious he was still paranoid during his final season here.

But I still and will respect the man. He was something else for a then 16 year old Kaz.

18. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mourinho also was always used to winning and getting things his way. Madrid was the first place he didn't win everything in sight and he just was not used to it. He hates losing and starts abusing everyone around him making the atmosphere toxic.

JimWharton and Blueallthru repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He was also happier then. Winning and all.

I think back to how he jumped on Essien during his interview after the Valencia game being jubilant (That was a great goal). Mourinho then was arrogant and cheerful. This current version is angry, bitter, and still arrogant. And it's obvious that whatever team he manages he'll be seeing shadows everywhere because of Madrid.

And whether he or we like it or not, he'll always be associated with Chelsea. Our 04-05 side was one of the best and I salivate over what a Hazard-Robben attack would look like. Or Duff-Hazard. I'm not picky.

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With all this said, I don't hold with booing returning players/managers especially when they contributed to our success. It's classless and simply reinforces the hatred other fan bases have for us.

React to them as you would another player/manager would if they did something to warrant an angry reaction, but don't tie it back to their time with us. I hated the Judas chants, not least because Jose didn't dump us for utd.

JimWharton and Wrath repped this.
  21. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Agree. You get fired, all bets are off. It'd be different if he'd left for United. When you can a manager, that kind of cuts the cord.

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Managing to get a title winning side near relegation tends to give a club the right to do that sort of thing. He did himself no favors and almost seemed to bask in the toxic environment he had created.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that's what i was going to say, he engineered his own way out. not necessarily saying it was intentional, but it's not like he was wrongfully fired to be honest. and at some point i think he was looking to break relations with club.

i think we just learned he's not a sustainable manager. and the players should take a lot of heat, but there was a reason they weren't performing, and the environment where that could have happened still comes down to the manager.

Blueallthru repped this.
  24. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've known for years he is not a sustainable manager, some just wanted to believe he had changed or flat out ignore the obvious.

And my earlier point was not that he didn't need to go and that he was responsible but he didn't directly move to another club and so Judas chants are way off the mark (and I dislike them even if someone did move on to a hated rival, even when it was tony dorigo when he left for leeds, which perhaps 3 people here may remember lol).

I don't credit those fans chanting it with much intelligence anyway, but sadly they represent us.

25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Im not saying he screwed up on purpose, but he never wanted to come back to Chelsea the 2nd time. He wanted United all along. That's fine. He is ambitious and we all knew what his plan was - to hit all the major leagues and clubs. Honestly, I'm not sure Chelsea was in his plans the first time, but Roman backed up the truck full of cash.

Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Madrid, Chelsea, United.

I think he'd like to stay at United for a long time, but I dont know if current football conditions allow that. He's the enemy now. Thanks for the titles, but ******** you and your hacking of our players.

And for making Eva go.

Blueallthru repped this.