FA Cup 5th Round - Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ever since our first few games with the 3-4-3 it feels like we've slowed down a ton. Defense solid as ever, but the way our midfield transitions to attack is just not cutting it. Theres a huge disconnect. While our players are talented enough to basically make it work, a real box to box mid would make a big difference in this team

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hmm. But every commentator notes how lethal we are on the counter, which we are.

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Half the squad changed, so there was going to be some disconnect. The dangerous thing with matches like these is superior teams tend to get lackluster against inferior teams. It somewhat showed.

I like Moses, but without Azpi out there guiding him, it's highly obvious we can upgrade.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We've always been great on the counter. More concerned with how our midfield and offense works together when we aren't countering.

5. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Dave is the upgrade. He would be fantastic in that role but it seems Conte doenst trust anyone else to start in that back 3. Hopefully given loan returns/purchases we will see Dave in that role next season.

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ake could be that one to push for it.

7. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    I have never seen Ake play on the right though given his jack of all trades skillset he might just be able to.

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I haven't either to be honest and going all the way back to his loan at Reading he was almost used exclusively as a wide left midfielder.

I would add though, with only 3 at the back, is there really that much of a difference for playing one side vs the other? I don't know the subtleties of playing CB, so I can't speak from experience.

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Right footed, left footed. Ake is a leftie, no? But Az is a righty and had been our left back for awhile.

10. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    cahill is played off his weaker side. it can be done, but really you could argue that Ake and Cahill switch spots and Dave goes out right.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well right footed players generally spend more time working on their off foot as there are less lefties and it helps them stand out. While lefties are usually used in a role to accentuate their left foot because of the lack of them overal. But specifically for CB's it's important for at least one reason. When you ask your CB to distribute out the back the way they open their hips when receiving a pass is important, especially when under pressure. We've seen Cahill struggle under pressure with this and cough up the ball. There are more reasons like angle of approach when closing down. The way the field opens up for passing angles as well. Though it's capable a right footed player is equally good with left. Having said that, even when a player is good with their left but a righty you see tendencies. See Azpui as a left back. He was solid there when he got up the pitch but he had the tendency to cut back and put the ball on his right. If your a CB it just takes a striker catching you in that tendency once to capitalize.

A coach could give up more and or better reasons but those are a few that popped into my head.

352klr and Blueallthru repped this.