FA Cup 4th Round v Newcastle

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Yahtzee, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Better 60 mins late than never

Michy with 2 simple goals

Pretty easy going outside of a couple saves from Willy

cokeyounut repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who runs this joint :mad:

;)

Anyway, yeah, the kid's showing a bit more than he did before, that's for sure.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hehe.

Marcos ********ing Alonso. His shooting technique is something else

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    the yoof immediately looking bright

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice efficient win. Next.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Solid win.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't get a chance to watch... I saw Michy got two... how'd he do tho?

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't watch all of it but he looked lively enough in the bits I saw.

9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    two great things about this game:
    1. Ampadu came on for Kante and looked more than comfortable
    2. Hudson-Odai looked very composed

Drinkwater and Barkley? Not so much

10. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He did fine. He makes excellent runs in behind the defense, almost had a really brilliant 3rd goal that was just saved. Not at all someone who will do well when asked to be Diego Costa but is quite capable when his strengths are played to.

^Agreed... our youth players came on and looked completely comfortable.. all this bitching about squad depth is laughable sometimes. Use our youth players more please!

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise there. He's got the make of a very good player. And I love that we can play him in midfield or anywhere across the back 3.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    “If the club decides to add another player, I don’t know if Michy wants to stay or wants to go on loan. In this case it will be the player’s decision, not my decision, because I am ready to continue working with these players because I am very happy with them.” - Conte

Says we NEED three recognized strikers, then says its the clubs choice to add a new one and that its totally up to Michy to stay or go. Uhhh

Conte, more and more, is someone who tries to cover every angle as to never be held fully accountable for certain things. I have a very hard time believing its Roman going ape shit behind the scenes trying to overspend on a 31 year old Dzeko. Its quite simple.. Michy isn't to Conte's liking and Conte wants to replace him.

Meh, whatever tbh.. I hope he stays and continues to feature for us.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Went to today's game, I know its a bit of a cliche but it really was a game of two halves, first half very ordinary (yet 2 goals up), second half in complete control (yet only 1 further goal), as they say (sorry another cliche) but its a 'funny ole game'.

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hqdefault.jpg

15. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I take a lot of Conte's comments with a grain of salt because his english is still a work in progress and I'm not sure he is ever able to 100% get his opinion across

His english has actually progressed pretty well tbh. One of his favorite terms is to say something is "a pity"

16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's amazing how different his body language is, though. Much fewer smiles, no cake eating. All very serious. Very few sideline celebrations.

17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bats was still inconsistent with his play. the kid can score when given chances, but still leaves something to be desired when linking up or, you know, passing. he tries one touch layoffs TOO much. sometimes he needs to just keep things simple, trap the ball then move it.

his movement on both his goals was great though, especially the second, he fainted to go across hazards path and the defender bit, and then he widened out enough to give hazard a passing lane.

cokeyounut repped this.
  18. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was encouraged with some of his driving runs in the second half too when hunting for his hat-trick. Whilst his final shot wasn't excellent he was threatening and is a good sign for what he is capable of. Of course none of these facets match up with Conte's current desire for a big target man.....

19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All you can ask for at this point is a home draw, and we have that against Hull. Not a bad draw but still have to focus as these games take on ever larger importance for the 'smaller' clubs.

FA Cup fifth-round draw
    Sheffield Wednesday v Notts County/Swansea

West Brom v Southampton

Chelsea v Hull

Leicester v Sheffield United

Huddersfield/Birmingham v Manchester United

Millwall/Rochdale v Newport County or Tottenham

Brighton v Coventry

Wigan v Manchester City

20. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #20 cokeyounut, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    I think the match again showed that Michy would be great in a 2-striker system. Solid positioning in the box and good finishing, but passing and hold up play leave a lot to be desired. In addition to the unsuccessful layoffs and flicks, there have been countless times when he successfully collects the ball only to needlessly turn into a defender rather than playing a simple pass. One of our biggest problems in scoring when we aren’t on a counter attack is slow movement of the ball, and Michy is a fairly big contributor to that when he’s on as the lone striker imo.

The more I’ve thought about it, I can see where Conte sees his problem - in a 3-5-2, playing off of Morata is the only position he sees Hazard as being able to play. Having Hazard in the midfield three with Bats and Morata up top would leave us without enough defensive cover or a lack of connection between the defense and attack. A target man is great for the system as he can come on for either Hazard or Morata to change the dynamic of the game, and the formation is still balanced. Michy could come on for Hazard as long as there is someone like Fabregas playing to link the midfield to the attack (honestly not sure why that hasn’t been tried before, I feel like we haven’t seen it), but when he comes on for Morata we lose something in the attack. Now whether or not you agree that we should be utilizing a 3-5-2 is a different story, but Michy still needs to be relied on as a lone striker in the 3-4-3 where similar problems can occur

Dtrip77 repped this.
  21. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's become a job for him now. Everyone hates their job once the joy is sucked out of it.

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What are you inferring?

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think a lot of media and fans think he's unhappy at the club. I'm not sure that's the case. I think he's pissed we're not in first place. Which is good.

Because if you watch this, it's awesome and he's not unhappy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BekqN3MB9hD

Wrath repped this.
  24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ha, great vid.