PBP: FA Cup 3rd Round - Chelsea FC v. Norwich (replay)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jan 16, 2018.

?

Will we score a goal

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe so

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Banana pudding

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I resorted to shouting "Stay on your feet" at Morata a few games ago he needs to stand up and be strong in this league.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chelsea fan, was it? :eek:

:giggle:

Nah, sorry guys. I shouldn't laugh. I think the teams making me stir crazy :(

3. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Think this game went to show me two things:

1) The team is not completely devoid of talent by any means, we are simply in a bad stretch of form. Happens to 99% of teams every season. Poor touches, poor passes, and a dose of bad luck. Not saying we don’t have areas that could use some improvement, we clearly do, but the players we have are certainly capable of better performances, and I’m sure they’ll come sooner or later.
    2) Whatever form of VAR that is being trialed right now in England is definitely in need of improvement. How Willian or Morata are booked, I’ve no idea. Are you allowed to rescind a yellow in-game using VAR review even if you’re not going to give a pen? Soft, going down easy, whatever, how are you going to give a booking for either of those when there is clear contact? If Willy or Morata don’t go down in those situations, there’s no pen called, and there’s every possibility that both actually were forced to the ground. I’ve seen Morata getting a lot of stick on social media, but I would’ve been quite furious with the ref if I were in his place.

4. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

No I feel sorry for the poor driver it must be awful. I don't know if the jumper planned it but is was the worst possible place as it effects all the branches of the District line

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sounds like a good game to miss, I got stuck in Wimbledon (where my daughter lives) probably due to the 'jumper' and the District Line being b***ered, at the time I was a bit annoyed to miss the game particularly as it was on BBC1 but in hindsight I think it would have just frustrated the s*it out of me!

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not an expert on body language, but on the sidelines for Chelsea looks like the last place Conte wants to be.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't the bottom line that Morata isn't as big a threat as Costa? if he's having an off day we struggle to give that much of a threat on goal.

It's not just sticking them in the back of the net, you have to make the other team think you MIGHT score. That makes space for the other guys to do it instead.
    Well, that's why I and many others have been arguing AGAINST VAR... because it's a slippery slope. I mean, logically, I agree with you. Their yellows SHOULD be rescinded.

But where do we draw the line? Yellow cards? OK! What about throw-ins? Should the play be brought back, (maybe for 30-40 seconds when the VAR guys have had a chance to check it out). What if they've scored in the period between the incident and the ball going dead.

In fact, thinking about it further, what it leads to is every time the ball goes dead you'd have to check back through the tape to make sure a decision that wasn't called should then be made.

If we're not careful it becomes an absolute minefield.

The ball crossing the line tech solution, fine! Matters of fact where the ball inevitably goes dead, (like offsides), again, OK! But for matters of opinion... THAT gets a lot more complicated.

8. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was traveling via East Putney and managed to get on the first train from Wimbledon after they re-opened the lines (it was only going to Earls Court but that was far enough).

When we got to Fulham Broadway the football entrance was shut as they had closed the station and the whole packed train had to exit via a couple of automatic gates to the shopping center it was chaos.

Coming back was just as bad as they were diverting services to try and restore the services we had to wait 20 minutes for a Wimbledon train.