FA Cup 3rd Rd. West Bromwich Albion v. Leeds United (6 Jan) [R]

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late thread as always. We're up 2-0 at half time with goals from Paul McShane and John Hartson. It does appear we're playing a mostly regular first team with a few exceptions... such as the exclusion of Gera, who began the match on the bench. Our new signing Robert Koren is sitting on the Albion bench as well.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Bromwich Albion 3 Leeds United 1

Well another from Phillips gave us the win. Leeds got one in stoppage, but it was too little too late... and into the drum for Fourth Round we go.

This was a decent win for us. We still have some room for improvement, however, as we did let Leeds get quite a few chances on goal. Opposing teams seem to be able to slice through our midfield at will. Somehow I think the league match on the 20th at Elland Road won't be as easy, despite our previous two results against Leeds.

3. Good win today and it was important to come back strongly after the Southend debacle. I thought we did so today. Leeds did have a couple of chances but in fairness we took our foot off the gas from the 2nd goal. Had we not done so it could have been a hatful as they looked a really poor side. They made 3 changes at half time and Davies (who was my man of the match) coped admirably against Flo. McShane was excellent filling at right back and it was nice to see him score his first goal. Hoult was great too making one outstanding save.

Your right about the midfield though, there were times when we looked a bit lightweight with Greening and Chaplow in there. Robinson made two magnificent tackles in the 2nd half. Kamara was relatively poor as was Koumas. Hartson managed 90 minutes which was a bonus and Phillips got a goal too so it was a good day for the Albion despite a pretty poor crowd (17,000).