F52: USA v. Netherlands, 7 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That record doesnt really count because Dutch women's soccer didnt really take off until about 5 to 10 years ago.

Having said that the US still remain strong favourites

2. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Concur on both points. But Holland is a good team and taking it lightly would be a calamitous mistake.

jnielsen and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch coach, Sara Wiegman, was the first Dutch women's player to reach 100 caps. Today I saw a clip of her being honored for the achievement before a Dutch NT game--I'm not sure what year--by Coach Louis van Gaal, who of course went on to become one of the most decorated managers in (men's) football, coaching Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United (most recently) and he was twice the coach of The Netherlands National team. Wiegman was, I think, a smallish midfielder back when the women were all forced to wear men's jerseys that were of course much too big for them.

As for this match, I think to compete the Dutch will need to defend early and well and not give up an early goal. Scoring early has been the U.S. trademark in the tourney. An underdog has to get a foothold in the game, try to build a little confidence, and then go from there. More particularly, the Dutch will need to deal with the U.S. high press, which is very effective because the outside backs, especially, O'Hara, play such an aggressive high line. England, trailing by one goal in the second half, struggled for a long and important stretch to get the ball out of its defensive half, and forward Rachel Daly, who can be quite effective in attack, had to spend a lot of time help to get the ball out of the back or to defend after giveaways. That's not the way to win a soccer match. So we'll see if the Dutch can cope.

The other big thing will be whether the Dutch have the legs to compete. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's outrageous that after both teams have played six games in four or five weeks, that one finalist gets one more day of rest than the other. That is a big deal at the end of a long, hard tournament and should not happen. It's BS.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fully agree, and a win 3 years ago in a friendly has little to do with what will happen on Sunday. I was just answering a question asked. :)

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be because the Olympique Lyonnaise field is where a good number of the French players play their club home games.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. No need to "apologize". I've got the feeling we're going to have a respectfull posting habit about this match

cpthomas repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Absolutely! Remember the 1969 Super Bowl: Baltimore Colts vs NY Jets. I won $200 an immense sum at the time by getting absurd point spread correct.

9. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I actually think the Dutch should come out attacking right away; only for the first 15 minutes or so in a similar high press to what they did against Japan in the first half. The Americans have been trying to put pressure early on every team they've played, sitting back and defending plays right into their approach up to this point. If you let them get an early goal they sit back, play defensively and look to hit on the counter almost all game (and they are very dangerous at this).

The best course of action for the Leeuwinnen to get something from this game, IMO, is to take the game to the US. They have the players and midfield to do this and control the game from the onset, especially if Beerensteyn and van de Sanden are the wingers from the onset with Martens injured.

It will be key, of course, for the Dutch not to use all of their energy in the first half (like they did against Japan, which they've learned from and adapted so far). They've been very good at getting second half goals and creating danger from set pieces though so...we'll see.

Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can you find a single international competition men or women that this is not the case? I've been watching a little it of the Copa America and they have the same split day semifinals. They are allowed a fourth substitute if the game goes into extra time and Sweden did use theirs.

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Well, this to me means that other tournaments are making the same mistake. I get that there would be some serious logistical hurdles if you tried to play both semis on the same day, in the same stadium. For one thing, you'd have to clear the stadium of fans after the first match to get ready for the second, but it's doable. Otherwise, at least give the team playing the later semifinal four days rest. The Netherlands will have three days rest after a grueling semi and six games in four/five weeks. Not enough. Of course TV plays a huge role in scheduling, as we know. The final will always be played on a Sunday.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I read today that The Netherlands is seriously interested in hosting the 2027 WWC. It's early days but apparently the KNVB has already had preliminary discussions with FIFA.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was afraid I wan't going to have another WWC in Europe within a decent amount of time: I would appreciate very much a Netherlands 2027 WWC! :)

Kakeru, CoachJon and L'orange repped this.
  14. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is interesting. Bit of a leveller if the rain comes down hard, as the cliche goes.

blissett repped this.
  15. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could be but I thought it was more generally because Lyon is so dominant in French Women's football. Best club team in Europe.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiLLeNNiuM, M and blissett repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I may well be crazy
    [​IMG]
    but the more I think of this game the more I think Van de Sanden could be key if she is up to it. The US do leave space if you can beat their high press. They push their full backs real high on occasions and their CB’s aren’t very quick.

The Dutch have some tricky technical CM’s that can get the ball through the press. Get Van De Sanden running between the full back and centre back gap.....

The main problem I have with the Dutch attack is Miedema is the most talented forward in the tournament but she doesn’t work enough off the ball. She should try and pull defenders out of position more or make runs to create space for others. I never thought I would say this at the start of the tournament but she needs to play more like Ellen White has played :ninja:

Kakeru, blissett, Orange14 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    soccernutter repped this.
  20. MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) I don't believe I have ever seen van de Sanden making a run into that gap.
    b) nearly every forward in the tournament needed to play more like Ellen White.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’ve seen her do it but she does primarily run on the outside (which would suit Dunn).

Maybe I shouldn’t have name dropped White. I was more talking about her playing style. Basically the other forwards the US have faced in the KO stages have done alot of the selfless work for the team. Miedema has to do that too. Run the CB’s into the ground.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. La naranja máquina de lucha pura
    [​IMG]

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Except this is not Miedema's style of play: she's the typical FW who seems to completely disappear for long stints of the game, to the point that you have to wonder if she's really "that good", until suddenly she has an half-chance and she bites like a cobra converting it.

She almost did that in the Sweden game also, when she forced Lindhal to deflect on the crossbar.

25. Most of the time she disappears to the side line where she starts distributing the ball and indeed she than reappears when the defenders lost their attention for her.

blissett repped this.