F1 - 2010 Season

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Juan Carlos II, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qMPPJUipE"]YouTube - Amazing Home Made Formula One Simulator! (HD)[/ame]

:O

2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little jerky, but really impressive.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought it was a three horse tace with Webber as the forerunner. I thought Alexander was out before Korea. It's now back to a 4th horse.

The engine issue could be the deciding factor.
    http://www.vivaf1.com/engine.php

Please correct me since I do not really unbderstand the rule and the chart from the link.

It seemed that Alonso could use the 9th engine on the last race, but he had used this current engine for 4 times. A DNF in Brazil could put him all the way back.

Since Vettel's (his 8th)engine blow up in Korea, what does it mean? Does it mean tghat they have to fix it or he will receive apenalty in Brazil? I just don't understand the rules.

Both Webber and Hamilton seemed to have better engine situation.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Incredible indeed.

The jerkiness is due to the fact that the simulator emulates accelerations and decelerations using gravity; that's why the seat falls backwards when he steps on the gas and leans on the left in a fast right curve. I guess they can yield a fraction of 1 G by doing that which must give some strong sensations, somewhat equivalent to what one would feel in a very performant street car. But, as far as F1 is concerned, it's quite off the mark since braking and cornering these single seaters can lead to "forces" up to 5 G !

Nevertheless, I wish I could ride one of these simulators at the fun fair or in an arcade center (if they still exist), let alone have one at home...But I think there would be stuff flying all over my bedroom ! I wonder what the neighbours would think too if they saw me through the window ! :D

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Alexander ? You mean Lewis ? I can't believe people are still obsessed by Wurz ! :D

Considering the title race, let's point out that it is a first matchball for Fernando Alonso; if I'm not mistaken, should he win the Brazilian GP and Webber be 5th or worse, the Oviedo ace (that sounds very journalist like he ! he !) would take the 2010 crown !

Thanks for the link, that's quite interesting.

From what I know and understand about those rules, drivers manage their 8 engines allocation the way they want or can. Vettel has blown the 8th fresh engine he entered but that doesn't mean he can't use one or several of his previous blocks to finish the season.

Teams try to spread the mileage on all of their 8 engines but of course, some of them are not reusable. So Red Bull has 2 solutions, enter a 9th fresh engine and take the 10 grid spot penalty or extend the mileage of an already used engine.

Alonso is in the same situation however on average his remaining engines have more mileage due to the reliability woes earlier this season. That's why they're so concerned...It can indeed affect the title race but I guess everything is better than a DNF at this point, especially since they're leading...

On a side note, the FIA needs to realise that it may be less expensive to give one more engine in the allocation given that there are more and more GPs per season than to force engine manufacturers to expand the mileage within the current frozen specs rules...

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    By the way, this first Korean GP was a cracking race even if it took its time to start. The rain always add some fun !

For the people who missed it, you may watch it there. It starts under the red flag and safety car conditions, so you can either watch all the drama or fast forward to the actual start of the race which is about the last third. There's a second link for the second part of the GP.

It's actually a cool jtv channel with plenty of archives which spares the hassle of looking for DL links !

8. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I have been calling him "Alexander" since I first saw him in Macau many years ago. I do that all the time in real life.

[​IMG]

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Eventful day for Renault as the French manufacturer gives hints that it may retire from the sport as an F1 team but will carry on with engines. In fact, the Red Bull engine deal has been extended and the current lotus team will also use the Viry-Chatillon made V8.

The interesting part is also that the current Renault F1 Team may become Lotus Renault with a partnership with Group Lotus (the actual Lotus manufacturer) while Fernandes' Lotus Racing team may change its name to 1Malaysia.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87936

Bye bye Renault F1 Team then it seems. :(

11. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I can't imagine how expensive it is to run one of these teams.

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Holy Hulkenberg!

13. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Hulk struck ! In the qualy I mean.

Well done Red Bull - Renault for your laurels !

It's gonna be hot in Abu Dhabi...

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then, the real Lotus will be back. Only if they can be sponsored by John Players Specials.

15. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

Congrats Lui... err Sebastian for your maiden title. In the end, it's a fair result.

Lesson of the day for the Ferrari strategists : "the F1 grid has more than 5 cars in it !"

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Next GP in... 118 days... :(

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Wow, who'd have thought this was possible after Vettel's unlucky technical drop-out 2 races ago? Simply sensational comeback to win his first title, becoming the youngest F1 champion ever. Kudos & congrats!

Good job from Red Bull & Vettel in the last 2 races, while Ferrari & Alonso screwed it up.

18. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Some points:

1) I'm so glad that the cheats at Ferrari weren't rewarded with the title.

2) Congrats to Vettel. Well deserved title for a real racer. Today he proved once more his talent, dominating the race from start to finish.

3) Generally, the amount of talent in the current F1 is really staggering. There are now 5 world champions and at least 7 (probably more like 10) drivers capable of driving on the highest level. I hope that my fav Rosberg will be the 6th Champion one year from now ;)

4) I still miss refueling. F1 lost one fascinating tactical aspect by banning it.

5) The new rear-wing rule for next season is a disgrace IMHO. Yes, it'll make passing much easier, but it does so by giving the passing car an unfair advantage. I don't understand what's so difficult to increase mechanical grip instead. That would make it easier without giving anyone an unfair advantage.
    Yes, we all like to see attacks, but F1 is also about the difficulty to pass, about the skill needed to do so. A better driver or a better car should make passing possible (hence more mechanical grip) but just introducing artificial drama by turning F1 into a pass-fest is stupid and against the spirit of the sport. Especially re-starts will be terrible with the leading car getting smoked by the cars behind him...

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Vettel deserved the ntitloe more than anyone. He was the pace setter in the last few races. Ferrai got outsmarted by Renault and Mercedes and Webber could not deliever while it counts.

20. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sweet Victory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    adrian newey is a legend, red bull was the superior car.But I dont know if vettel deserved to win, he made too many mistakes but still won it.I think alonso is the best driver on the grid, followed by hamilton.If any of them were at red bull this year, the title race would have been over 6 races ago.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    In terms of raw talent, I think Vettel is one of the best, if not the best. Hamilton is actually quite similar in that he also tends to push too far and thereby sometimes wastes his talent. But they're both still young and will only get better with experience. Plus it's what we spectators want to see...

Alonso might be the best all-round driver in the field right now, although I don't think that he would have dominated with the Red Bull either at least not without the #1 status he enjoys with Ferrari. And there are others that I'd put on a similar level: Schumacher for example. He needed some time to get used to the new F1, especially without being able to test drive, but now he's back. Kubica is another great all-round driver as is Rosberg.

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    BTW, Schumacher and Vettel go way back, as Vettel used to race on Schumacher's Cart track during summer vacations:

Then (1994):
    [​IMG]

And now:
    [​IMG]

Souvenir:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  25. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC