F1 - 2010 Season

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Juan Carlos II, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well the big news so far is that Lewis Hamilton and Nicole Scherzinger have split up.

Oh and that damn cheating German is back :)

2. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I bet he wins it.

3. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, I simply don't think he'll be quite up to scratch and as much as the Brawns/Mercedes dominated the early season last season I just don't think they'll be right up there this time around. I think if the Ferrari drivers have the car underneath them this season Massa will be champ.

Anyway, did I mention I'm going to the Monaco Grand Prix? :D

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Did I mention I'm going to the French GP ?

Wait...

:eek:

:(

5. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Better still, it's free :D

6. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm interested in seeing first if USGPE gets off the ground and if by chance their presence will get more F1 races on Fox instead of Speedtv.

I doubt it though.

7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of the new cars been unvaeiled? I wonder what major new rules there are, and how it's affecting the look of the car.

Mad that the USA is snubbed.

8. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19405709&postcount=394

That said, I've read that since the multiple deck diffuser is still legal in 2010 (it will be axed next year), teams will probably take this to a more complex level with things that could be pretty spectacular...

The bigger fuel tank will also probably lead to changes in design that can affect a sizeable part of the bodywork.

Also, Ferrari has been said to "copy" the look of the Red Bulls, we'll see that as there hasn't been any picture of any challenger yet ; Which is quite unusual at the end of January.

As long as there is no good opportunity for Bernie to make money, that won't change. Even France has lost its Grand Prix. The fact is the business model of F1 makes it difficult for a US GP, since in America the organisers have to make profits when providing the race while paying Bernie and his shareholders a big fee.

Most organisers actually lose money with GPs but they are refunded by public authorities (region, state, city, etc.) in order to have the prestige, advertisement and ultimately the economic fallout which come with having a Formula One GP on its territory.

Who is willing to pay in the US ? Once that question has an answer, there may be another US Grand Prix.

Maybe Las Vegas to advertise themselves once the crisis has levelled ? NYC ? It will have to be some place where they have an interest. But it can also be a return to Indy with the new layout.

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2010 FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar

01 2010 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Sakhir)
    12 - 14 Mar

02 2010 FORMULA 1 AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne)
    26 - 28 Mar

03 2010 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur)
    02 - 04 Apr

04 2010 FORMULA 1 CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai)
    16 - 18 Apr

05 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA TELEFÓNICA 2010 (Catalunya)
    07 - 09 May

06 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2010 (Monte Carlo)
    13 - 16 May

07 2010 FORMULA 1 TURKISH GRAND PRIX (Istanbul)
    28 - 30 May

08 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2010 (Montreal)
    11 - 13 Jun

09 2010 FORMULA 1 TELEFÓNICA GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia)
    25 - 27 Jun

10 2010 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone)
    09 - 11 Jul

11 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2010 (Hockenheim)
    23 - 25 Jul

12 FORMULA 1 MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2010 (Budapest)
    30 Jul - 01 Aug

13 2010 FORMULA 1 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps)
    27 - 29 Aug

14 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2010 (Monza)
    10 - 12 Sep

15 2010 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore)
    24 - 26 Sep

16 2010 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka)
    08 - 10 Oct

17 2010 FORMULA 1 KOREAN GRAND PRIX (Yeongam)
    22 - 24 Oct

18 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2010 (Sao Paulo)
    05 - 07 Nov

19 2010 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX (Yas Marina Circuit)
    12 - 14 Nov

For those who are finding it hard top cope with the craving, you can watch streamed F1 races on justin tv.

http://www.justin.tv/mc_kik

I put this channel that does not stream - but seems to stay - as a hub for other channels since they change frequently.

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. This should be interesting. Tire size change, too, but I'm just anxious to see the bodywork for '10. Even subtle rule changes can bring about big change as the rules are dealt with by teams.

11. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    can someone please explain the reason for the refuelling ban? surely it will push costs up, at least temporarily, since a few things need to be redesigned. and I can't really see much saving in the long-term. if it's not about costs, then what is it about? I think it will make racing less interesting since the room for different strategies will be cut. and the weight of the cars will be pretty much the same throughout the race, making over-taking less likely. I simply can not find any positives about it, just negatives..

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well if everyone has the same fuel then people will actually have to overtake cars rather than just hoping their fuel stop strategies works out.

13. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    the lack of overtaking is not due to a lack of will, it's because it's most often very difficult. if the cars weight more or less the same, it becomes even more difficult. and they will still have to stop anyway, to change tires.

14. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If I remember right the ban on refueling is to save costs by not having to have the refueling machine and everything else that goes along with it.

It's going to be interesting to watch. I've never seen a F1 race without refueling although that's the way things used to be in the old days. I started watching F1 in 1998.

15. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    they still need to fuel the cars, so the machines are still needed. and they are provided by the FIA as far as I know. they've got enough money. cost-cutting's main goal is to create a more even playing field among the teams, and to make it easier for new teams to get into F1.

yeah, I know, but technology has moved on since then. I could be easily wrong about it, but I think the aerodynamics of modern F1 cars make it harder to overtake than in the old days.

I found this blog: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/05/03/why-f1-will-be-better-without-refuelling/
    opinion seems to be divided among F1 fans on this matter. let's hope the guy is right.

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, it's very difficult to predict. It's obvious that the tyre wear and it's evolution becomes even more fundamental. Normally, the start of the race will be steadier but the end may sometimes be crazier. Hopefully...

I'd use an empirical argument in the sense that the Senna v Prost years were not exactly the worst in terms of racing and they were during a non refuelling era. That said, if a driver has the right set up, he might win the race by country miles ; we may witness the return of 40+ seconds gap at the end of the race...

A bit by principle, I think it's a pity that the refuelling disappears since other major motorsports like Nascar and Indycar have them. Well, it's also another way for F1 to distance themselves from American forms of racing ! :p

IMO, F1 is not pure sprint ; with races that can hit the 2 hours mark, it's more semi-sprint or semi-endurance like you want...But well, that's an old debate.

The non refuelling rule is also coherent with the current environmental issues and the capacity of the tank may be lowered in the future forcing manufacturers to produce sober engines.

In the end, as ever, we'll have better clues after a rounds of racing. On a side note, I think the FIA should also have restricted the number of mechanics performing the tyre pit stops...

17. kronic160

kronic160 Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Mars
    [​IMG]

Adding a new piece to the puzzle. I personally think they should race in reverse direction the following year. It would make things so much more interesting.

18. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Mercedes unveiled their 2010 livery today:

[​IMG]

I like it.

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    And this is Ferrari's new livery:

[​IMG]

Introducing white color will surely piss off some traditionalists, but I think it looks good...

20. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    that's not the new car though, is it? I thought that's a repainted Brown car from last year, and the 2010 Mercedes will only be unveiled when testing starts.

21. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Yes, it's only the new livery...the new car will be presented February 1st when the testing commences.

22. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The layout really looks funny now. It looks as if the former has had a tumour or something...

I don't really see why.

Strangely, I felt that the nose was somewhat different, maybe it's because of the change in colours. Anyway, the mat silver renders sweet I must say.

[​IMG]

23. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Boaah, there has been other Ferraris with a lot white in the past. I think it would have looked better -more Ferrari - with Italian colours stripes between red and white.

2006, not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    If I remember correctly, the Marlboro Ferrari wasn't exactly loved by the fans (though it was probably mainly due to the different shade of red) and neither was the 1993 Ferrari with the white stripe.

In any case, I like the white...

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here are the launch dates for the different 2010 F1 cars:

Mercedes Feb 1
    Red Bull Feb 10
    McLaren Jan 29
    Ferrari Jan 28
    Sauber Jan 31
    Williams Feb 1
    Renault Jan 31
    Toro Rosso Feb 1
    Lotus Feb 12

Force India, Campos, USF1 and Virgin still have to announce their respective launch dates...