Extremely depressed

Discussion in 'Player' started by MilanMadrid, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I guess I need to stop worrying about what others think and just play my game. Yesterday for example I was kicking around with a few friends, 4 of which don't even play football, and I was still nervous about missing the goal or messing up a touch. Any articles or exercise which help with mental strength? Thanks again really do appreciate it.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    this has to be mental. I was a goalkeeper beginning in high school, and hated game days.. I would feel drained and weak the day of while in class, and never felt into the game.. I played "decently" but when I got to college and played intramural, and later on in NYC for a club team, I played much better as I didn't feel the pressure (even though the level of play was higher...) Once that happens a few times (playing well) you essentially play out of your funk... If it keeps happening and you cant snap out of it, I suggest ask your doctor for a recommendation.

MilanMadrid repped this.
  3. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Yeah I agree I'm convinced it's mental. It seems when I'm alone training I'm a completely different player than in a game, let alone a competitive game or a tryout. I've always wanted to talk to a coach or someone about it but felt like it's too silly of a topic, perhaps they'd even think I'm being a bit conceited.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    First of all, I am not a doctor or therapist, but I think I can offer some perspective hopefully on this, or maybe steer you in the right direction.
    You mention you aren't really enjoying things in life and you seem to be carrying around guilt since you aren't training the way you like to. Your inability to train up to your standards has you depressed since you know you are capable, but cant seem to snap out of it... I think you need to cut yourself some slack and realize injury/reinjuring is a big part of this, or at least the original culprit. The rest of it seems to gotten worse due to you getting caught up in your own head...
    This is called performance anxiety. It can happen in all areas of life. Public speaking, sports, meeting new people at a new job, etc. Hell, some guys get it in the bedroom even if their partner looks like a model.... Problem is obsessing about it starts a chain reaction and things just get worse, and can snowball out of control...
    The good news is that its totally reversible, and fixable... So don't despair..

He is my suggestion. Set something up with your doc for 2 reasons.. He can check you out for depression and help with that if need be, and also refer you to a therapist. Sports therapist would be nice, but I doubt it has to be, b/c the treatment I am guessing is the same as the other forms of performance anxiety. He will know better..

Remember, you aren't doomed. This gets better.

MilanMadrid repped this.
  5. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Thank you, a lot of what you said seems to resonate with what I'm going through. I can't even enjoy watching a game now without reminding myself of my own failures and dreams. My biggest worry about this all is that I'm running out of time or maybe even wasting my time. I'm 21 and have been without a club for almost 3.5 years. By now most players are well established, and here I am just struggling to get to consistent fitness/form. Thanks again for the response, really do appreciate it.

6. Peyton Valentine

Peyton Valentine New Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know how you feel... So I've been practicing my juggling for a few weeks now, and at first I noticed some progress, butnow I'm kinda stuck. I can juggle fine using the different parts of my feet at different angles and stuff, like hacky sack, but not just out in front like I should be able to. I feel like my technique is fine, I just can't get very many hits without losing control. It's really frustrating, especially since I'm 18. I only took up playing soccer about a month ago, more as just a hobby (my school doesn't have a soccer team which is dumb), but I am getting frustrated with myself. It's really difficult without a coach, I'm trying to teach myself all this and it's pretty discouraging... Any advice?

7. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Advice on juggling? It's something that has no secret man just practice practice practice. You mentioned you've only been playing for a month which is good, but that's just a drop in the bucket. Stick with it and soon you'll be juggling with ease.

rca2 repped this.
  8. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Look any this guy's work on fear response and performance in high stress environments. Awesome stuff, IMO.

https://blauerspear.com/

MilanMadrid repped this.
  9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A. Proper rest periods when injuring yourself.
    B. A good pre-game routine to get you properly warmed up and your muscles ready for the exertion to come.
    C. A good post-game routine to keep everything limber and to move as much of the lactic acid out and to loosen up any tight spots before jumping in a car for the 90 minute trip home.
    D. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation even when not injuring something. Recovery periods are quickened with RICE, even when not injured.

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    @Wingtips1 I agree with everything except the use of ice when there is no injury. The last I read up on the subject (about a year ago) there was no evidence that ice or ice baths post-match hastened recovery or any other post match alternative, even doing nothing except resting. Post-competition icing of baseball pitcher's arms and soccer and basketball player's knees is treating overuse injuries.

An additional concern is that ice slows down circulation. Heat speeds circulation which is why "ice" therapy is changed to heat therapy for treating soft tissue injuries after the risk of swelling has passed. (We are not talking about possible heat injuries here.)

Please let me know if there is some new research showing ice is superior to heat therapy or effective in cool downs. This is not my area, but I try to keep up with the changes. One of the problems I see is that the professional trainers are likely to see what they learn as trade secrets and professional clubs see effective recoveries mechanisms as competitive advantages, all of which means knowledge is not publicly shared.

11. -Nightmare-

-Nightmare- New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    change up ur diet and keep practicing dont give up

12. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Sorry for the late response but will definitely be checking this out, thank you!