Extremely depressed

Discussion in 'Player' started by MilanMadrid, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    It seems as if for the past week someone has flicked a switch. I cannot do anything I normally can do. I cannot juggle more than 50 times when usually I can juggle as much as I want (easily over 500), cannot do a single trick, my shot has become terrible. It's as if I magically have unlearned everything overnight. On top of this, for the past two years I've been struggling with injuries; straining a muscle or spraining an ankle literally every game and every training session. I've been struggling to reach any type of form. I cannot see myself living without football and decided to finally make a post asking for any type of help. I've just about reached a breaking point.

2. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I went back and tried to write down all the injuries I've had in the past 4-5 months just to give you guys an idea of what I'm dealing with. So far I've counted 15 unique injures, most of which are reoccurring, and there's probably some more I'm missing.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If it is mostly ankle problems you may have so many sprains it has become a chronic condition. You get that from trying to come back too soon.

Also when you favor an injury you can hurt your back because your off balance.

All these things has happened to me over the course of my life.

Now all these crap is in your head.

I would love to know exactly how old you are.

You should see an orthopedic doctor and get a full physical.

You might also want to see a sports phycologist.

Also in the mean time go out and have some fun to get your mind off all this stuff.

Go night club bouncing see how many women you can pick up. I was always into sports, but always into other things as well.

MilanMadrid repped this.
  4. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I just turned 20 last week. I've seen 2 orthopedic doctors both who didn't offer much help, haven't thought about seeing a sports psychologist yet though. I can't seem to enjoy much else in life as I always have the thought in the back of my mind that I'm wasting time if I'm not somehow improving in football. I just want to succeed badly. Thanks again.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  5. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Take a few weeks (at least) off, see how you come back, rage...

6. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Find the joy of football. Go the local pitch, play with kids, see how they enjoy playing, teach them a thing or two. Play with your friends, just for fun - avoid competitive play for some time. When playing avoid any risky plays, don't dribble, play only very safe passes, build up your confidence slowly, add more risk to your game when you feel your confidence is getting back. Accept, that your form is not perfect now, don't tryhard. Take it easy, you cannot forget your skills, it's only in your head. Spring is on it's way, heads up dude :)

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not joking, but sounds like some form of depression talking. Go see your doctor if he can recommend a mental-health therapist or just see if your insurance company has one in network. It can be a cause of lack of performance and not uncommon if you have gone through a bout of injuries. No, you are not weak if you are actually depressed.

Also, I recommend you see a physical therapist and get on a program. Look, you injure or reinjure something every time you step on the field. That's not a good thing. There's some kind of structural weakness somewhere that needs to be addressed. There was a really good player on Arsenal, Abou Diaby, whose career potential was cut short due to repeated injuries. It all started with a severe knee injury he suffered, but it had a cascading effect with the other parts of his body.

8. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I really do appreciate it.

I read that this might be the best solution, but I can't get myself to do it as I feel like I can't afford to take a few weeks off, especially with how bad I've been as of late.

I try man, I've been playing a lot of pickup and everything recently just to remind myself that football is about fun. However I just can't do it, I take everything with football extremely seriously, even if it's against someone who doesn't play at all.

Yeah I agree, I'll admit parts of what I'm feeling does seem in line with depression, but I don't see how anything besides picking up form again/staying injury free will solve it. I tried seeing a few physical therapists and I didn't come out of there with much to show for it except an empty wallet. I also do agree that there must be some type of imbalance or structural weakness, I've begun doing a lot of research on my own to see how I can strengthen whatever is causing all this.

Thanks again everyone.

9. striking_tan

striking_tan New Member

May 16, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Do something new. For me it was "Dennis Mueller's footwork drills" found via Google. I did all of the drills in the "fast footwork" section and I have not felt better since I was a little boy.

nicklaino repped this.
  10. Beijingx1x

Beijingx1x New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Austin,Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its crazy to take weeks off, lets face it, not going to happen, maybe do a weekend (try no fifa also, it will get your hunger back). I know how you feel, everybody goes through a slump. Its easier said than done but clear your head, just don't worry about it. Massage your injuries and rest if necessary (don't strain yourself, you'll know if its serious), alot of it is mental. Stop doing the tricks and start getting good clean basic touches on the ball. Be an dependable outlet for your teammates passes. If you play up top, drop back a little bit to touch the ball safely. Shots not working? look for the pass or try getting a rebound. This will slowly get your confidence back. Once you get a few games being decent, then turn it back up.

I personally play as a striker/winger, and find that in bad games, i drop back as a full back, get some touches, try to distribute, and that will usually change the game in my favor, even when my touch is "bad"(well... worse than every other day,lol)

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #11 rca2, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Sounds like you might be overtraining. Everything you related are classic indicators. I think we have all probably made that mistake at some point when we were young.

Pertinent subjects are overtraining, rest, recovery, cool down and warmups, nutrition and sleep.

I don't know of course. It is possible that you are not overtraining, but given your young age I wouldn't bet on it.

Wolfbeatseagle and dejansavicevic10 repped this.
  12. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I hit a bad streak with the offensive part of my game, I'd go extra hard on the defensive part of my game. Doing good things defensively seemed to boost my overall confidence and shake me out of my offensive rut.

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have know Dennis about 25 years. A good guy he is actually a nuclear scientist a genius. He wears a hat like Oppenheimer wore the guy that developed the A bomb for us during WW2. It might be Oppenheimers actual hat he died in Princetown NJ. Dennis lives there and was the head of the Princeton soccer club there he took it over from Bob Bradley.

I wanted to use his guys and put his footwork drill on film. But when he heard the camera crew I had he turned it down :) it was my Godfathers crew they make blue movies :)

We were on the coaches e mail list together.

Here is a post he made to our list after playing each other.

"When the Brooklyn Italians BU-16 played the Princeton Bulldogs BU-16, both teams had good scoring opportunities. The Brooklyn team played a patient possession game that was attractive, but a bit frustrating for the Princeton coach (me) to watch ;.). Both teams had very skilled center midfielders who were evenly matched with an edge in sprint speed going to Brooklyn. I used to think I had the best small CM anywhere around at holding the ball in a crowd, the kid from Brooklyn has made me modify that opinion to one of the best. The keepers both stopped everything they should have and at least a couple they shouldn't. That is all you can ask. The defenders on both sides denied the opponents time and space and forced the attackers to play well, which they did. Richie said it was a nearly foul-free game and it was; not one without the contact you expect from 16-year-old boys. But the contact mostly occurred in clean attempts to win the ball and no late or dangerous challenges. This was the best team we have played in terms of skill and team ball possession. They are not as large, aggressive and physically imposing as some teams we play. I expect as the boys get older and big and aggressive continues to lose its advantage over skill that the Brooklyn Italians will make its mark in national-level competitions. We will play again. Probably after both teams have completed their State Cup play this year. Dennis Mueller: Coach of Boys U-16 Bulldogs, Director of Travel Teams for the Princeton."

Our under 14 also played there under 14. They used older players on his team in that game. We won both games :)

14. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone hits a bad rut and risks getting burned out. You have to find a way to dig out. Learning new juggling tricks was my escape without really stepping out of it completely.

I would also double check nutrition. You're probably playing/training six days a week or even every day. Start taking a log of your diet and seeing what you could do to improve it. If you're mentally exhausted, you're probably running on fumes nutritionally.

15. matherold

matherold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
  16. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I would agree with everything others have said here and add that if you really do think you have some kind of depression, don't downplay it...get it checked out. My best friends little brother (we all played soccer together in high school) got depressed after heaps of injuries screwed his senior year up and really had him kind of screwed up with college plans (recruiters stopped calling, etc) and this guy got super depressed and rather than seeking help wound up killing himself. I'm not saying you're at risk of that, just saying things can become unbalanced chemically and get out of your control fast.

MilanMadrid repped this.
  17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When I was a kid I only thought about three things. Sex, making money and football in that order.

Ran away from home at 10 or 11 to get away from a nut job Daddio. Lived on the street until I was 15 until after someone killed him. Everyone in the neighborhood was poor except the wise guys. We did not know we were poor because everyone was poor. We lived in tenements no one owned a house or a car.

I saw rebel without a cause when it came out. I thought what the heck is he fighting about his family had it all. A decent mother and father they owned a house hell they bought him a car. I thought that kid had it all.

My apartment had a kitchen living room that was also bed room and a bed room and a bathroom. It was 35 dollars a month. Some apartments had the toilet in the hall way. The kitchen sink had a cover that came off that turned into bath tub. You took a bath in the kitchen. That apartment was 30 a month :)

18. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Hey guys I appreciate all the responses. I overcame this little bit of depression but actually got hit with another injury last month and am still recovering. The odd part is I'm starting to get in my head again even though I'm not playing consistently because of my injury, so it's not like I'm overtraining or anything. For example just last week I was messing around with a ball and I got 800-900 juggles first try, I wasn't trying to break a record or anything but was just having fun. Fast forward to this week and it seems I can't even juggle as consistently as before or do all the freestyle tricks I could do just one week ago! This has to be mental right? Surely there's no way someone can lose all their skills in just one week...I really need to stop getting in my head like this, anyone have any tips?

19. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Yes what you're describing sounds mental. Lack of focus. Lack of confidence. Overthinking things. It's a case of the "yips"....

MilanMadrid repped this.
  20. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    How does one get over this? It's been a problem I've had for years; extremely nervous before games even when it's one that's purely for fun, overthinking things, no confidence in my abilities...etc

21. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I don't know man. You just have to find a way to relax yourself. I used to get that way too in high school games and I'd make terrible passes and not strike the ball solidly, etc....but eventually I just was able to block out whatever was making me nervous and relax. I know that's not much help...but it's inside your head, so it's going to be on you to figure out where the anxiety or whatever it is comes from....

MilanMadrid repped this.
  22. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I believe it comes from the fear of messing up an people thinking I suck and that might ruin any chances I have of progressing in the sport

23. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Just stay calm and play your game...don't rush things. As I tell the players I coach - "be quick, but don't hurry it"

If you have the talent and ability, and it sounds like you do....you'll be fine. Talk to a coach or someone about it maybe. Never know who is going to say the right thing or point you in the right direction.

MilanMadrid repped this.
  24. MilanMadrid

MilanMadrid Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Thanks, I know my mentality is holding me back because sometimes after a game I reflect on it and wonder why I was nervous. But it takes me a while into the game until I'm comfortable, and if one thing happens (say a bad miss or the defender makes a hard challenge) I'm in a shell for the whole game. I feel like if I had more confidence I could be ten times the player.

25. bobellis75

bobellis75 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I played soccer and baseball mostly growing up...I used to really have that problem in baseball more than anything. I was less confident (I was a much better soccer player and even basketball player). I was a fine baseball player, but I'd be in the field defensively and if misplayed something I couldn't shake it. It became me in the field saying to myself "oh god don't hit it to me...don't hit it to me..." and of course they hit to you and your nerves get you and make another mistake or try to play it TOO safely and that screws you up.

I didn't have as much of a problem in soccer with it...mostly just when playing outside my comfort zone - I was usually a center back or also played a lot of midfield. So more defensive minded and more of a distributor. If coach ever said "How about I put you up at striker for a bit to give so and so a break" because maybe we were short handed due to injuries, etc....I always was nervous about scoring...I didn't want to blow it on a shot. Which was funny because in scrimmage and practice I was a a very good and very accurate shooter, actually.

You just have to not worry about making a mistake. You can't be perfect. Everyone takes a bad touch or makes a bad pass. Just be ready for the next chance and calm yourself and make a solid play.

MilanMadrid repped this.