Experiences with "For profit" schools?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by olckicker, Jul 21, 2004.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I'll start with ITT Tech -- perhaps the worst school in the U.S. I enrolled in their multimedia program to improve and expand my graphic design skills. Instead I wasted precious time and money on useless gen ed and technical classes which used books filled with spelling and grammar errors. If you watched the commercials and thought about attending ITT don't do it. Don't make my mistake.

2. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    aren't all private colleges "for profit"??

3. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Yes. But apparently the words "for profit" are applied to "career education" schools like DeVry and ITT.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before they went out of business, I actually went through a program at a Computer Learning Center.

For me, it was the single biggest waste of time in my life. Well, sleeping through my 8:00 classes was probably bigger... but for something I actually did, the time and money wasted was HUGE!!!!

I learned NOTHING. They used unbelievably outdated programs and operating systems.

I mean, please. I had classes in DOS, Word Perfect, Lotus 1-2-3, dBase.

Can it get more useless?

How they managed to get accredited is beyond me!

HOWEVER, it was a waste of time for me... but there were some people there who really did use this as a launch pad for real careers. There were people there who used the school to get some decent jobs. I did manage to get a job in accounts receivable for IBM through an outsourced company out of it, but I had the knowledge to do that before I entered into the program. I stayed in accounting for ten years... doing receivables, payables, and then finally relocation accounting before moving into education.

Really though, it depends on the individual. For some, it's a great way to launch a career without having to deal with general education courses, etc. For others, it's a complete waste of time.

5. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    People who went to Devry or ITT never talk about it for some reason it seems.

I have to say the ITT commercials are just silly with the soccer playing guy kicking the hell out of that little goal or the salsa playing guy on the beach and his model girlfriend.

It seems more and more private universities are offering the online degree route ala 'for profit' schools to make a little more money. Business must be good since more and more schools are coming into the mix.