Expansion of World Cup teams to 48 teams- Discussion & Opinions

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Jan 9, 2017.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 AIL1998, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    There is high chance FIFA expands the number of World Cup (WC) teams to 48 which means that WC 2022 will be the last WC with 32 teams. The format of the WC with 48 teams is 16 groups of three teams where two teams advance per group and then knock out stage. So there will be 80 matches in the tournament which is 16 matches more than WC with 32 teams. If this expansion happens, Asia will have around 8 WC spots based on what I heard. There have been many reactions to this plan. For example, Mourinho and Maradona are in favor of this decision but Joachim Low and Pep Guardiola are against it. IMO here are some pros and cons:

Pros:

Gives a good chance to some nations to play at the WC which brings joy and excitement to their nation and football community

Economical benefit for some nations and as a result, more investment in infrastructure and youth football

Higher chance to pass the group stage for some nations such as Asian teams

Cons:

May lowers the prestige of the tournament

Dilutes the quality of the football

All teams cannot play the last match of the group stage at the same time (Whoever plays its second match earlier may be in disadvantage)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*What do you guys think? Do you agree with expansion of the WC teams to 48 or disagree? Discuss your reasons if you like.

2. Leit

Leit Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When will they officially announce it?

3. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Its official. FIFA announced it. What a shame, honestly might as well cancel qualifiers and invite every ********ing team. World Cup is perfect in its current format, 4 teams × 8 groups, its only for the best of the best.

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Even though Iraq has a better chance to make World Cups, I am against this expansion. As if Asia really deserves 8.5 spots, come on who are we kidding?

chook90 repped this.
  5. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Lol time for Qatar to qualify :)

6. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I did not think that the format we currently have needed a massive overhaul. To make matters worse, in order to push this through confederations that didn't deserve extra slots got them.

I would have liked to see a change in the qualifying format with more inter-confederation battles. Maybe a play-in tournament or something to that effect.

That said, I am fairly confident Palestine will qualify if they keep improving as they have over the past two years.

7. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If you expanded the 2014 World Cup to include 48 teams. It's not THAT bad.

UEFA (+3): Iceland, Ukraine, Sweden

CAF (+4): Burkina Faso, Senegal, Tunisia, Egypt

CONCACAF (+2): Panama, Jamaica

CONMEBOL(+1): Venezuela 4

AFC (+4): Jordan, Uzbekistan, Oman, Qatar

OFC (+1): New Zealand

On the Bubble: Romania, Ethiopia, Peru, Iraq, Lebanon

8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Jordan and Oman? Both teams didn't even make the final round in the 2018 qualifiers.. Uzbekistan will make the World Cup, not sure about Qatar..

+PL+ and Kurdii110 repped this.
  9. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    2014 was a down cycle for a lot of teams....Oman and Jordan snuck in ahead of Saudi Arabia and China, respectively. Lebanon ahead of UAE and Kuwait.

All of those teams that missed out have been to a World Cup before.

I don't think it's a great plan- especially in Asia but this was always on the cards. FIFA wants $$ and new fans. It is dying to see India, China, and big ASEAN teams like Indonesia and Thailand in the fold.

They will need AFC to rejig the qualifying format to make that happen and given what they do at club level that may just happen.

If they don't overhaul the format we have now I don't know if it will be that disastrous. Uzbekistan is a good side and should have featured at previous World Cups. UAE beat Japan away.

Saudi Arabia has been lucky thus far but were pretty good vs. Australia and Japan.

That's seven teams. The other 1.5 is a complete free-for-all. Iraq has talent- wouldn't mind seeing them at a World Cup but after that... China, Qatar, Syria, Thailand aren't all that good.

MVP#3, Suren01 and Kurdii110 repped this.
  10. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    The thing I'm dreading disappearing are the groups of death. 3/4 great teams all battling for 2 places. With an extra 16 teams and how they'll likely seed them there probably won't be 3 top tier nations all in the same group.

11. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Correct, adding an extra knockout phase really destroys that. Would have been exciting to see groups of three with only the winner going through.

12. Amir14

Amir14 Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Infantino guy is clearly just as bad as his predecessor and totally driven by money, power and influence.

It means the host counties will have to build even more new stadiums to host the ridiculous amount of games, which will give rise to even more corruption (if this was possible) in awarding contracts.

+PL+ repped this.
  13. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    The main purpose to give nearly double spots to AFC is to reserve a seat for China, IMO.

+PL+ repped this.
  14. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Terrible, takes away all of the prestige of making the WC and will make the WCQ much less exciting for top 4 team fans. This was probably made for China, Qatar ect to finally make the WC

Now all the 2nd/3rd tier AFC teams have a realistic and good chance to qualify which will make the WC quite pathetic tbh

+PL+ repped this.
  15. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I don't see this as a way to "reserve" seat for China when China struggles to make it to the last phrase of the qualification...

16. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 AIL1998, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    First of all, I should say that overall I am in favor of world cup expansion.

This is my main problem but most world cup tournaments can be co-hosted from 2026.

My other problem is that whether they are going to distribute the 48 spots correctly or not. The football quality of each continent should be more important than the number of countries each continent has or the size of continent. For example, If they give 8-10 spots to the continents like Asia and Concacaf, the quality of world cup will suffer. I read in the Iranian media yesterday that FIFA will determine the WC spots of each continent for WC 2026 in May 08,2017. I go with the following , and IMO It is the most fair one:

Europe: 20 (There are still many good teams such as Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Czech Republic, Turkey, Poland, etc that usually do not make the WC. So based on the rumors, 16 spots will be for Europe which is unfair in my opinion and thankfully It was just rumor. They deserve more than that something like 20)

Asia: 7 (IMO more or less than 7 will be unfair. More than 7 lowers the quality of the football in the world cup and most 2nd/3rd tier Asian football countries do not even try to improve the standard and quality of their football. Less than 7 makes it unfair for WC with 48 teams and It makes it close to impossible for many 2nd/3rd tier teams to compete with best 5-6 teams of the continent. 7 is perfect and it motivates lower teams to make the standard and quality of their football at least close to the likes of Uzbekistan, UAE, etc if they cannot compete with the likes of Australia, Japan, etc.

The following link says why expansion of WC is good for Asia and it says some of the reasons that I am in favor of WC expansion:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-but-australian-benefits-will-become-apparent

I took the following four paragraphs from the above link:

"In 2015, in a hotel restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, Iran coach Carlos Queiroz was talking qualification. In Asia, he said, there are three countries with a credit card that produces an automatic World Cup spot with just a simple swipe: Japan, South Korea and Australia. His Iran were always competing with Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia and perhaps North Korea and United Arab Emirates for the fourth and last automatic berth. And the other near-40 nations of Asia? The former Real Madrid coach just shrugged."

"While the Portuguese may have intended to stress his own achievements with Iran, he was stating a simple truth. With South Korea, Japan and the Socceroos usually making it, that leaves one spot for the other 43 - for the vast majority in the world’s biggest continent. The dream is as distant as relations between Sepp Blatter and Gianni Infantino. Talk to heads of various federations around Asia and hear the variety of “Project 2022s”, it is almost cruel to point out that 15 other nations have similar grandiose plans and one, perhaps, will achieve it."

"But not for much longer. Having four automatic spots gives perhaps eight or nine a realistic chance (Added sentence: I hope for 7 World Cup spots for Asia) but an improved quota of eight really opens it up. Even if the big four (the three credit card holders and Iran) have their spots, that leaves three (I changed four to three) for the rest in a much more open field. It gives eight or so a genuine opportunity, the same number an outside chance, and more still a dream."

"Take Thailand. The country is doing all the right things: investing in the league, grassroots, producing decent players and aiming for as much overseas experience as possible but the World Cup is still some years away, if at all. Expansion brings the competition firmly within touching distance and if Thailand can do it, there is huge motivation lower down the rankings. Having to compete with South Korea, Australia and Japan is not an option for many in the short to medium term but fighting it out with Jordan for the last spot? That are plenty who would fancy their chances."

A few months after the last Asian Cup, CQ had an interview with Khabar Varzeshi newspaper. Australians may start to dislike him for this interview. He said before 2006, Asia had 4.5 WC spots. In 2006, Australia join to Asia and Asia still have 4.5 WC spots. When Australia joined Aisa, one of the WC spots was taken away from Asia automatically. Australia joined Asia, that is great but they should have added 1 more WC spot to Asia or at least made the AFC/OFC one continent for WC Qualifiers. In that case, the winner of OFC joins to the final round of Asia WC qualifiers and the fifth team of Asia does not have to compete with Fifth team of Conmebol, etc. for qualification to the WC. So IMO 4.5 spots for Asia is not enough.

Conmebol: 6.5 (There are only 10 nations. Giving more spots to them make the top teams such as Brazil and Argentina unmotivated for qualifiers and the football quality of qualifiers in this continent drops significantly)

Concacaf: 5.5

Africa: 8 (There are still some decent teams that usually do not make the WC such as Egypt, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Mali, etc. They deserve 8 spots. IMO 8 spots is the most fair one for Africa. )

Oceania: 1

Twelve 4-team groups, with the top two from each group advancing along with the best eight third place teams is another option for the WC with 48 teams but the problem is that some teams have to play 8 matches to become champions, and you need to extend the whole tournament in a couple of weeks. Anyway it seems that 16 3-team groups is the best option.

chook90 repped this.
  17. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 AIL1998, Jan 12, 2017
    I hope you read my last comment completely. I explained why I think this world cup expansion is a right decision. Do not forget that the WC Qualifiers in Asia is currently boring for many 2nd/3rd tier teams and if you read the bolded parts of my last comment you see the reasons.

I added the unsure symbol and the bolded sentence. Note that the whole paragraph with the bolded sentence is completely what CQ said in his interview with Khabar varzeshi newspaper a few months after the last Asian Cup not me.

18. kung_fu_kicks

kung_fu_kicks New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    We still won't make it unless we host it. :( We Chinese spend billions of $ on football but our team is the second worst team after Thailand among the 12 countries that participate in the final qualification round in Asia. :mad: We are by far the worst footballing country per capita in the world. :mad::mad::mad:

19. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Maybe now Iran might be able to qualify on a consistent basis.:D

20. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    With the current and upcoming generations of players we have I expect that we will qualify at least to the next 3 out of 4 World Cups with the current 4.5 format and be consistently in the top 2-3 Asian teams

Anyways, I prefer not even qualifying and only 4 Asian teams going to the WC than qualifying to every single 48 team WC, and most Iranian fans think the same. The prestige of the WC will be long gone when the lower 2nd/3rd tier AFC teams will start having a high chance of qualifying, obviously the fans of those countries will mostly support this idea. Now about 1 out of 4 country will qualify lmao, that's pathetic

iranii, Mani, dinamo_zagreb and 2 others repped this.
  21. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am totally against this decision. It will kill the joy of watching top flight teams battling for supremacy. There will be less incentive for weaker teams to progress because they can be in WC with less effort. This is simply lowering the bar instead of helping the teams to progress.

dinamo_zagreb and Suren01 repped this.
  22. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I would rather see Iraq fail to qualify under this format, than qualify under the new format..

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I'll say for Asia it'll be good that they expended but as far as the quality goes...
    Also I heard that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL might merge...

24. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 AIL1998, Jan 12, 2017
    Do not forget that there will be seeding for WC 2026 tournament before draw like all other world cups. For WC 2026, we probably have AFC, Concacaf, and Oceania teams may be with exception of Mexico in Pot 3 like previous world cups. Except those teams, around three lowest FIFA ranking teams will be in Pot 3 and most of those 3 teams may be African teams. Pot 2 consists Conembol, most Africans, and some European teams. Pot 1 probably consists most Conmebol teams and the rest of European teams. So it is not that bad. I think It will be ok.

I like what Jose Mourinho said. He said:

"I prefer groups of three. Two matches and then through to the knockout stages or go home. This way, the two group matches are crucial, then the knockout stage is next which brings even more emotion.

"Teams with less potential and experience will probably play two good matches and go home. But they would do so having improved and gained experience on the pitch, which would be added to the economic rewards of appearing at the finals - including further investment in their footballing infrastructure.

"The expansion means that the World Cup will be even more of an incredible social event. More countries, more investment in different countries in infrastructure, in youth football.

"More nations taking part means more passion, more happiness, more enthusiasm. More countries means more Africans, Asians, Americans together.

"Football is developed in the clubs, so we can't expect football to explode in terms of quality at a World Cup. The World Cup is a social event and football can't relinquish this opportunity to further reflect fans' passion."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/int...on-more-happiness-more-enthusiasm-mourinho-in

25. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Every team going to park the bus now, especially with them now doing a group stage penalty shootout after every ********ing draw. What a joke.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

dinamo_zagreb repped this.