Expansion: Montreal Impact pressed for time

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2007/10/20071009-100101.html

Basically, MLS wants 16 teams by 2010. Montreal Impact is pressed for time with Seattle being the 15th team. St. Louis and Philadelphia are also in the mix.

Toronto FC's Canada territory exclusitivity will run out on December 31, 2009. Saputo ($3 billion Montreal Impact owner) has expressed his interest on MLS a couple months back. Expansion fee is at $35 million. Luckily, Canadian dollars is almost on par with US dollars now.

The 13,000 seats (expandable) Saputo Stadium is a few months from completion. If expand to 18,000 seats, it could be a cozy MLS stadium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    It would be great to see Montreal in MLS, but I really hope they'd change the name first. People are arguing about the Sounders name, but it's a hundred times better than "Impact", which is just awful in my opinion (harkens back to the days when Nike insisted on singular noun concept team names such as Clash, Burn, Wiz, etc.).

That's a snazzy-looking stadium by the way.

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. The problem for them is that they need a name that works in both French and English. Think it's better than Wiz, personally. :)

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Anything's better than Wiz!

I'm aware of the English/French argument, but the wisdom of picking a bad name just so everyone can pronounce it is still questionable I'd say.

On one of the other Montreal MLS threads, someone posted the concept of Olympique Montreal, I believe complete with a logo and uniforms. Now that was a classy mock-up in my opinion. Plus everyone can pronounce it.

Not that I think the pronunciation argument is all that important anyway. I would guess most English-speakers in Montreal have an at least perfunctory (unless that word doesn't mean what I think it means) command of French as it is.

7. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they join the league so I have another reason to visit Club Downtown, Supersex, and Peel Pub. Montreal really is like a playground for American Adults:D

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ah yes. Montreal's strip clubs are so subtly named: Club Supersex, Le Chateau du Sex, etc. Such classy establishments!

9. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    If Montreal, Las Vegas and Portland (which has more strip clubs per capita than any city in the country), all joined the league, they could play for the Strip Club Cup.

10. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Why?

Canadiens, Allouettes, Nordiques. Do Anglophones in Quebec hate these teams (assuming there are Anglophones in Quebec City, of course)?

Expos. Did Francophones in Quebec hate this team (assuming that anyone liked this team, of course)?

11. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't beat a full contact $10 lap dance! :D

So why not name the team 'Club SuperSexe'...

12. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this would be fantastic, so it definitely won't happen.

That new stadium looks awesome! Needs more roof, though. That can be added on later. I'm gonna have to make some excuse to visit Montreal next summer so I can go to a game.

And yeah, the presence of those downtown strip clubs make the good old "Let's all go to the strip club" chant seem strangely... applicable!

13. hogmesh

hogmesh New Member

May 13, 2006
    msp (formerly va)
    Club:
    DC United
    thanks for the article! not much new here, but it's nice to see continuing speculation about montréal's role in an expanded mls.

i actually thought one of the more interesting tidbits was later in the article:

i think this is the real reason we're finally seeing more news from montréal: "despite all of the efforts of joey saputo and several owners to put the usl-1 on solid foundations, the arrival and departure of franchises continues". in other words, he doubts that he can continue to operate a profitable business in the usl, as markets either jump up to mls or fold (the article mentions the victory as one that's on "life support").

good read!

14. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Perhaps Montreal Sportif? Or Montreal Athletique? Actually not sure if the second is a word or whether the first is in the masculine form, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully folks will begin frequenting the MLS: Expansion forum for loads of this type of good conversation about expansion candidates. Good topics, good place to do it!