Expansion Draft Press Release

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by SamPierron, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you seriously think that our backline played as well as it possibly could this season and that most of the blame lies on Hartman? I don't. I remember several glaring mistakes that cost us, namely giving the other team FAR too much space inside the box. I think Garcia and Conrad are solid, and I wouldn't trade them for anyone in MLS right now, but we still need help back there.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2007-1974=33

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you haven't been paying attention to MLS much lately but you speak with such certainty that Burpo and Wells are better and in better shape?

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man.

I'm dumb.

....Nevermind about the age thing. :)

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens when you live in DC. It rots the brain. :D

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You don't understand how the draft works and how transfers out of MLS work.

We protected EJ because he's still MLS property. If we exposed him, San Jose takes him, then Eddie goes to Europe - San Jose would get the money. The only way we get the money from selling Eddie abroad is if he's on our roster.

7. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true even if he is out of contract? I know there is a one-year option on his contract, but i thought i read a while back that it was conditional and that MLS could not just exercise the option on its own under any conditions...

i may be wrong, but what i am concerned about is that he may get sold by MLS to some English/European club and we would not get the money because he is out of contract.

personally, i find the MLS rules about transfers, roster status (Youth international, etc.), salary caps, and so on to be very difficult to understand. also, im not sure that the "rules" are even that firm... such as saying that EJ, et al are grandfathered as DPs for only one year, then turning around and saying that its longer.

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    KC's GK and other points.

Wow, too much handwringing over Hartman. For reasons mentioned I can't see him being picked.

To Yank's Hartman v Bo stats comparison: The numbers leave out the polar opposite attacking philosophies among many other things. The most important differential is that even if you generously allow that defensively they were similar in ability, the inner guts and offensive skillset from one to the other separates the two talents by roughly a full league and maybe half of another.

Add in that one player unquestionably cost his team a Cup and wasn't worth even his samll salary beyond '04 and you have a clear gap to Hartman. Was Hartman worth his salary this season, that's another question. Worst case is KC can go get a guy or live with the kid. Choice B would seem to kill playoff hopes next year, but it might bear fruit later when it will be more important.

This thread: What a great post to list all players available. Nice job Sammy! No sucking up, spin, or emotional manipulations here. Just above and beyond info. Another legitimate reason to thank the front office!

Draft: Hard to tell which way SJ will go. You build with kids and you can put together a ten. Follow Chicago's example and emphasize singings and maybe you have another ten. SJ has no competition is this draft, so they can do whatever. Watch who they sign pre-draft.

Burciaga: How is this man as good as gone? Out of form, history of knees, defensive liability today, production nosedived from 8-8 to 2-4, and not a starter post DP rule.

The up side for SJ is age, athleticism, defensive coaching? (by SJ's view maybe), and of course Burciaga is the only defender to score 8 goals in a season the last 10 years.

Eloy: Hasn't played :90 here, SJ needs :90 guys from the picks.

9. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: KC's GK and other points.

Draft: The renegotiation of salary provision is interesting. MLS Players need a union worth hocking a loogie...wow.

KC might be one of the 3 teams untouched.

Chivas - Merlin should be manditory, maybe even Zotinca
    Chicago - Busch is gone, maybe a Curtin brother
    Colorado - Prideaux, Kirovski, Hernandez, Casey
    Columbus - Herron, Miglioranzi
    Dallas - 1 of 5-6 quality guys is as good as gone
    DC - Carrol, Gros, Dyachenko, Vanney is a longshot
    HOU - Cochrane or Wondolowski is gone
    (That's 7 picks)
    LA - Glinton, Martino (another team that should go untouched)
    NE - Dorman (8)
    NY - Big long list of underacheivers that will merit a pick (9)
    RSL - C. Brown, Kotschau, Watson
    TFC - Lombardo or Stamatopolis is gone (10)

Other than Jose and Hartman, it's Eloy and Raybould other than a long reach for youth. (Who stared in KC v LA reserves? Anyone?) I doubt Yallop is looking to repeat playing behind a team that can't defend like LA did this year.

Maybe Hartman is the pick if Busch is unfavored and there is nothing in the draft or free agent pool. If me I happily take Busch (if healthy) at GK and use the salary cap room elsewhere.

Ther's also this, if there is a way to hurt the teams in division, it makes sense to do that first. If that is a tactic used, that leaves only 4 picks of 10 for the 7 East teams. NY, CHI, and NE seem definite and there are seemingly good arguments for the other 3 East teams before Jose or Raybould.

Best for KC is if SJ signs a DP GK pre-draft and Yallop comes out with a quote about, "wanting to build from the back" or something similar.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC's GK and other points.

http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/news/t...ent_id=104161&vkey=pr_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=t105

Eric Kronberg, Ryan Raybould, Aaron Hohlbein (Amir Lower 46), Tyson Wahl, Jose Luis Burciaga, Lance Watson, Kurt Morsink (Jed Hohlbein 64), Will John, Michael Kravs (A.J. Godbolt 57), Yusa Movsisyan (Edson Elcock 46), Willy Guadarrama.

3-2 win for KC, goals by Movsisyan and two by Guadarrama

11. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List from there

14. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives says Burciaga taken, Goff doesn't have him on the list...

Of course, Ives also has 11 players on his list of 10 players taken.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Goff has updated his blog to say that his list is 100% official from a league release.

so we lose no one.

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a shock. Now we can use Jose as trade bait and get something back....better for us.

18. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just noticed that Ives updated his list and Burciaga is no longer on there.

19. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise nobody from RSL or Colorado was taken. Only a couple of 30+ year olds from those two were worth snatching up.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    EJ is not "out of contract", so your question is moot.

21. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. toritoritorrence

toritoritorrence New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    the LX
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wowewowwowow!

i feel a little snubbed i'm not going to lie.

i wonder if jose will stay or get traded anyway.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I remember EJ's contract was very unorthodox, and I have no clue on the details, but this article indicates he'll be a free agent in January. I'm not sure if a transfer fee is going to be recouped here.

I find the league's rules to be arcane as well, but I think we would still receive an allocation b/c that option means he isn't technically out of contract? If so, that alone would be worth protecting him.

Glad to hear we didn't lose anyone no matter what their long-term future here.

24. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we had no one taken in this expansion draft, it just proves that KC needs to be moved to a better market so that they can get more people to the game and get better players and be a deeper team...and thus have someone worth taking in the expansion drafts coming up.

Am I right?

Move KC!
    :rolleyes:

25. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are moving, across the state line. :(

And then we can move them back...:D