Expansion Draft Press Release

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by SamPierron, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Hartmans age and salary will keep him here in KC. It was a gamble last year for us to pick him up. It was a push. A year older that bet is even worse.

2. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I seriously doubt we would take Hartman, not with two better, cheaper and younger keepers available in Burpo and Wells. Also Hartman is among the all time favourite players to be booed and heckled by San Jose fans. We'd riot if Frank picked him. I'd take Burciaga, if he doesn't settle with the team he'll still have some good trade value.

3. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I don't share that opinion. I think we'd be a better *team* without EJ, personally, as long as we got a striker that's willing to work for 90 minutes.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, wait, why is everybody crying in their soup over Hartman again?

a) His stats are technically worse than Bo's.
    Hartman had a 1.50 GAA in 2007, compared to Bo's 1.41​
    Both had only five shutouts​
    Hartman had only 5 more saves than Bo did. Five.​
    b) He costs a LOT more money. (Bo made 60k in '06. Hartman made 150k in '07)
    c) He's 37, and judging from that half-field bomb he let in against frikkin' RSL, way past his prime.
    d) He's only been here a year (So it's not like he's some holy-grail untouchable like maybe Jimmy Conrad or Davy Arnaud. In fact...didn't everybody hate him not that long ago?)

Considering the depth of the US Goalkeeper talent pool (especially when guys like Matt Pickens are coming out of nowhere and performing really solidly for relatively cheap), we can and should do a LOT better.

5. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that a lot of us believe, despite his stats, that the back line wasn't doing him any favors and he's still a good keeper.

6. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preston Burpo - 9/26/72
    Kevin Hartman - 5/25/74

7. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ojsgillt's point is that if SJ picked him and exercised the option and then sold him then KC gets nothing. Better for KC to protect him and see what we can get out of it. Remember, Reading is read to pay 4M US$ for him and that right there is the #1 reason to exercise EJ's option.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts are silly. :)

9. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    $$: if he gets sold to Europe, we'll get the cash from his transfer.

I bet Hartman does get picked, he's the best young-ish goalie out there (Onstad is 39)

10. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to Hartman and Jose being out there for the grabbing. Why do you protect Morsink and Kerry at the same time; they basically play the same position; throw one out and keep Jose who can play 2 in the back or in the midfield.

I know he's in the doghouse but players that can play different positions surely are more valuable. (in that case even Eloy who plays attacking mid and could play up front).

It will be interesting to see if San Jose has the money for Hartman or Jose.[​IMG]

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one's the veteran leader, the other his understudy?

12. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be, but can we afford both and let Jose guy to the Quakes? That is the question:). After a pretty good rebuilding year I'd have to differ to CO's knowledge of what he has.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not wanting to start stuff again Jeff, but didn't Harrington play left back in college? It wouldn't really be converting him.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, yes he did see lots of time there, so I shouldn't say converting per say, but I meant it more in a selfish way for Harrington. He should be looking for a chance to succeed or fail at LM. He has lots of time to be a fulltime LB, but if he can be an impact two-way LM like a Beasley, his career prospects are a lot brighter.

I would also guess he likes playing that advanced role more, as I've yet to meet a pro who doesn't. Most play good soldier and are willing to fill whatever role to get time, but it's kind of like putting a young projected starter in the bullpen. Yeah, he'll probably do great there, but did you sacrifice some of his potential for that safety?

15. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I did have two questions somewhat related to ~~~>
    How much money do we get from a transfer? Is it 2/3rds with 1/3rd going to the league?

And secondly, has Kronberg seen much game time? What sort of potential does he have? Because it was mentioned earlier that Hartman isn't getting any younger...

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I like Kevin, I am hoping that Kronberg can give him some serious competition in training camp. We need to start developing a young GK for the future ala Brodie Croyle. Nearly all SJ fans say NO WAY to Kevin anyway. Honestly, I think they will take Burciaga, and hope that they do. One person was even brave enough to put him at CB :eek: . If for some reason they don't take Jose....use him as trade bait and get some value out of the deal (hopefully an actual player instead of the usual draft picks).

17. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could be that the core of our back line is as solid and talented as they come in MLS, but haven't played under a solid presence at GK in three years.

I'm more inclined to that. Nick, Jimmy and the gang were all some of MLS' best defenders not that long ago, and it's not as if they've gotten old. In fact, I'd argue that they're in their prime right now.

Even a back line of Alves, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, and Zambrotta can only do so much with a weak 'keeper. It works both ways.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with that, personally I liked Harrington's play at LM better then at LB. But he is certainly no slacker at left back...

19. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Eric Kronberg play in the reserve game against Chivas when I was in LA... and I think he's got some serious game... I think he could be ready to give Hartman a push in camp next year.

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But most importantly, will Eric buy the beer?

21. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I don't know. :p

22. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont think Hartman's stats do him any justice this year. I think he performed much better than his stats show. I think our backline didnt do Kevin much favors this season.

Until we absolutely have a proven keeper on our roster other than Hartman, he needs to stay.

I dont follow college soccer much, are there any strong prospects that we could be eyeing for the draft?

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    college keepers that could come in and immediately challenge? I don't think there are any strong immediate impact keepers in college right now.

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Oh, thanks for the correction, I thought Burpo was a younger player, shows how little attention some of us Quakes fans have been paying the last coupla years.

In that case I will revise my comment to read

I seriously doubt we would take Hartman, not with two better, cheaper and in better shape keepers available in Burpo and Wells.

25. KCWizMystic4Life

KCWizMystic4Life New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    But he made saves that arguably Bo wouldn't have made, theres more behind the numbers. He's also a good locker room presence who works well with the team and on the field hes so much better than Bo.

Er, I could be wrong, but isn't he 33? I think that saying he's past his prime just by looking at that one goal is unfair, he got caught out of position on one, if you look at the season he made saves that kept us in games.

But he's just so darn likeable :D

True, and I think Kronberg will be good when his time comes, but I still think El Gato should stay here at the very least one more year.