Expansion Draft - Miami and Nashville

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ToMhIlL, Oct 23, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 3:
    MIA: Lee Nguyen, LAFC
    NSH: Jalil Anibaba, NE (announced by Mookie Betts)

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 4:
    MIA: Luis Argudo, CMB
    NSH: Brandon Vasquez, ATL

Nashville GM announcing Valentin and Vasquez will be traded.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round 5:
    MIA: Bryan Meredith, SEA
    NSH: Jimmy Medranda, SKC

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zarek Valentin traded to HOU for Joe Willis
    Brandon Vasquez traded to CIN for allocation money
    Nashville also gets Daniel Lovitz from MON for xAM, and Adrian Zendejas from SKC for xAM

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs (and the other 9 teams that lost a player) get $50K in GAM from the league.

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna miss Jalil.

During the Friedel Era, he was one of the few Revs where I never questioned his effort.

7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I always thought he was a card waiting to happen. I wont miss him

He who shall not be named taken in the third round. Glad somebody appreciates what he brings. Wish it was the Revs but he might like Florida better (No income tax) lol. Warm weather and I suspect he wont be riding the bench in Miami. Maybe I'll get to see him more now

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't a card waiting to happen it was a bone headed play waiting to happen

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought he was good defensively (and loved the intensity he brought to center-back), but to me his distribution skills were severely lacking. He still plays with the 'clear it' mindset in an era where defenders need to be able to link up with midfield and/or the front line. Kind of how I saw Jay Heaps, way back when we moved him to cdef.

BrianLBI and tsb11 repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you thought he was a card waiting to happen, that doesn't mean it's true. In his two years here, he had 6 yellows and 1 red in 53 appearances (48 starts) for the Revs. Those are reasonable numbers.

Just as an example of someone who we all pretty much respect is a damn clean player, Parkhurst had 9 yellows but no reds in his last two years in Atlanta (53 appearances, 47 starts).

Mike Marshall and a517dogg repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some of us remember Leo Cullen who went like 3 years as a D-Mid and never got a yellow card....

12. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I understand the stats, but the two played a completely different style and shouldn't be compared to each other.

Parkhurst always seems to be in the right place at the right time so he can beat his attacker to the ball or stay with his attacker as needed. His play is so smooth that I wonder how he even got 9 yellows.

Anibaba was praised for his hustle but that hustle was often a last second miracle slide tackle and that type of play is so much more likely to result in a card. I consider him lucky to only have received 7 cards.

I'd much rather have the controlled Parkhurst than the 'hustling' Anibaba, but on the 2018/2019 Revs team with a poor defence Anibaba's last moment interventions were a much needed asset. However, if a team wants to compete for MLS Cup, Anibaba should be the first choice off the bench and not a regular starter. In that sense, thanks for your time with us but we need to upgrade that position on the roster.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I hear that about a lot of guys, but I think they often don't get credit for their ability to make adjustments and stay just on the right side of the line.

Luis Caicedo picks up tons of yellows, but I don't even remember him getting a red. Same with Zahibo. IMO, Anibaba didn't even seem that reckless, but I do agree that he often had to make last ditch tackles/clearances.

If anyone was suspect, I think it was Farrell, whose worst infractions (pk's, cards) often come in situations where he didn't really need to over-commit.
    Well, the two guys are on very different planes in terms of talent.

I think Anibaba is a guy who is an excellent defensive reserve (he's always ready/prepared, has a great attitude, plays with a defense-first attitude, has a cheap contract, ...), but looks more and more limited the more he plays. I think it is a loss for the Revs, if you consider him a bench player, but it should end up as a net gain if you looked at him a starter.

Jon Martin repped this.