Expansion Draft -- Fri. 11/17 @ Noon CT

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Christina_MacDermott, Nov 2, 2006.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Re: Expansion Draft -- Fri. 11/17

Moreno played great throughout the playoffs. Earlier I said he did well when he actually moved the ball forward instead of falling down or passing back, and he's done that a lot more the past few games. He almost set up a 3rd goal against Chivas, and got an assist against Colorado. I also wonder what changed to get him to play differently.

2. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

He also had a nice diving header against the Revoltings, almost top corner. And he juiced 2 or 3 defenders down by the corner.

3. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

There is some discussion under the unprotected players list in the News and Analysis section that Mo Johnston absolutely hates our boy Serioux. Its under post #63-#64 of Jason 1551 and another

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Well, maybe that is why Dom left him unprotected. He knew there was no way he would pick him up if he already traded him once. Pretty interesting how all of this will pan out.

5. Dynamo 06

Dynamo 06 New Member

May 27, 2006

Talked to some of the players today and Adrian told them he wants to stay in Houston which is what he told me. But there are also rumors that Adrian told the coach he wants to go.

This was Adrian first year playing in the back and I know he longs to play defensive midfield which is what he played at Millwall and won't have the chance with Clark around.

I'm crossing my fingers he stays.

Those of you thinking Ching is leaving for Europe can forget it. Ching is comfortable here in the states and just recently got married. His wife is still in school in Cali. Plus Ching has one last hoorah for the Nats team and he'd be better suited tearing up the MLS then playing for a lower Euro squad.

6. houstonsoccerfan

Dec 29, 2005
    Austin

that makes sense - except by protecting Adrian and then trading him we would have lost either Goldthwaite, Holden, or Wondolowski (to Toronto). So the whole of any deal for Adrian would have to include the fact that we lost a future starter who is under 24 years old.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Not necessarily, part of the deal could have been that they don't take any of our guys, or give back whoever they did take. Of course, we may have offered that to Toronto and they wouldn't do it.

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

List of unprotected players:
    Aloisi, Chris
    Chabala, Mike
    Goldthwaite, Kevin
    Gray, Kelly
    Holden, Stuart
    Hutton, Martin
    Lanes, Aaron
    Moloi, Mpho
    Nash, Julian
    Serioux, Adrian
    Storey, Marcus
    Waibel, Craig
    Wells, Zach (GK)
    Wondolowski, Chris

9. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

Nice new avatar Nobius. And next year, you just change the numbers.

10. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

This could be true!!!!

11. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks Nobius...but I was the first to post the list here! I want credit, dammit! :)

12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well call me too much of an optimist.

I thought that it was 100% that we'd protect Serioux due to his play and that he was a huge fan favorite (if he's picked, my wife is gonna be pissed.)

That said, and as many of you have alluded to, there's gotta be something going on behind the scenes so I too will wait until we know what's up.

13. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was trying to figure out the analogy to the Texans' expansion draft a few yrs ago. The reason we took Boselli and his contract and injuries was that Jacksonville agreed to leave Gary Walker and another player, forget who, unprotected. Since in this draft, you can't lose multiple players, there's no carrot out there of "well, we want to get rid of this guy anyway, if you take his contract, you can take these guys too."

There may be something revealed after the draft as to considerations given to Houston for leaving Serioux unprotected, but shouldn't that already have been announced? I'd read somewhere the league had a one-day trade window, I believe yesterday before the lists were finalized.

I agree with the poster above that this keeps things simpler, if you lose Stewie because you protected Serioux, who's to say TFC would be willing to trade him back? Besides, we can't lose a guy w/the dancing talent he showed yesterday at City Hall. ;)

14. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the deal was we keep Holden & Wondo, as they are both exposed, and in return we give them Serioux.

Just hiding Serioux and then trading him for something we already had makes no sense.

15. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rickker please tell me you weren't talking about John O'Brian.

16. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

No he was talking about Ronnie OBrien from FCD.

Other players I think FCD may want to trade that Houston would want:

Roberto Mina - silky smooth ball skills and great at possession and running at Players, can shoot from anywhere. Very creative. Only knock is maybe not faster than Daglish (but faster than Moreno at least).

Arturo Alvarez - creative left side mid who is from Houston

Chris Gbandi - great left footed defender that can get in the attack

Abe Thompson - better version of Nash - a Ching proto type.

I would be satisfied with Houston just getting Ronnie O'Brien, but I hear he wants to play for Nicol:p

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

From what I saw Alex Yi also looked decent and would be a good replacement for Serioux.

18. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

I did hear that Alvarez would like to play in Houston. He knows there's no place like home. Even though Frisco is a 2nd home to the Dynamo.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fri. 11/17 @ Noon CT -- see MLSnet.com

The draft is on at Noon CT tomorrow, Fri. Nov. 17.

The official league site -- www.mlsnet.com -- should have the picks and the press conference audio on Friday.

They also have a mock expansion draft up now.

20. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i 2nd this notion.. if that even falls into place

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    There are some really good keepers that have been left unprotected-Walker, thornton, Meola, Busch-granted these guys aren't what they used to be due to age, injury or doughnuts (in Tony's or Zach's case)-but decent nontheless. So I wouldn't figure that Zach or PAt would be taken if left unprotected. Hmmm...Fat Tony starts off in NY, backed up by Thornton in '96 and both have been hitting the doughnuts of late-and no.... this New Yorker doesn't like donghnuts (knishes were my downfall)-as Homer would say...knishes w/mustard, hmmmm good.

22. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Bump.

This shizzle's right around the corner.

Why would we give up Serioux for nothing?

23. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    yes why are giving up Serioux who we trade Danny Orourk for and we are not getting nothing for this?

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this mean, from the MLS website on the draft?

Do we have any players that are protected like that? Such as Holden? How young is young?

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Ianni, Nash, Hutton, and Cochrane were. I know Ianni still is. Cochrane graduated from Gen. Addidas status, I'm not sure about the others.