Expansion Draft discussion

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 28, 2016.

1. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Teal because his salary is much higher than what he gives the team, or Koffie assuming, they have no shot at resigning him (although maybe they'll get something if they trade him?)

pwykes and Feldspar repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All due respect to Femi but he and Mullins are in different leagues talentwise IMO. Mullins won the Hermann trophy back to back in college and earned loads of ACC honors throughout his successful 4 year career at Maryland. In the right environment he will be a solid if not great MLS player. The guy is a bona fide future starter and the revs were idiots for failing to see that and leaving him unprotected. The revs development is a joke as we all know and NYC is in love with veteran "name" starters, making it a terrible environment for a young striker with potential to get serious starter minutes.
    However, there are much better talent evaluators elsewhere. Back in the DC area, I bet he will flourish as he's already shown signs of his talents this year with 8 in 14 appearances for DC United.

Femi, however, I don't see the same no-brainer starting quality. He's a spark plug and fan favorite for sure, won a title at Indiana and scored over 20 goals in his career for one of the best programs in the country, but he doesn't have the same longevity as Mullins - at least coming into the league. If it were the early revs, I'd compare Femi to Sawatsky and Mullins to Joe-Max.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, though you'd lose the little speed the revs have.

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. As boneheaded mistakes go, Mullins was the bigger mistake.

My beef with not protecting Femi boils down to this: he was a log shot, but there were signs he was at least a serviceable reserve. That likely puts him head and shoulders above anyone the Revs might pick up in the superdraft or reentry drafts. A bird in hand...

Crooked repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disagreement here. I was just pointing out that, at the time Mullins was selected by NYC, there were some here comparing him to Zach Schilawski, defending the Revs decision.

pwykes repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disagreement here. I was just pointing out that, at the time Mullins was selected by NYC, there were some here comparing him to Zach Schilawski, defending the Revs decision.

7. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Damnit Teal" Bunbury would have been my calculated risk. Maybe is salary wasn't the poison pill that Goncalves was, but I think it would have scared other teams away. Worst case, you get a little cap space back.

Edit: in Teal's defense, you don't want to lose him if you're considering transferring another attacking player. There are always rumors about Fagundez or Agudelo floating around.

8. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hoped he'd turn out to be a Pat Noonan type.

Feldspar repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If you judge Bunbury solely by his 2016 season, leaving him unprotected would be a no-brainer. But, he can and has been a real difference-maker. He was a critical component of our drive to the MLS Cup in '14.

I can see the Revs thinking that it's too soon to give up on him on one down season (when most of the team underachieved), but I sure wish we weren't losing Femi!