"Excuse me!" - Jeremiah White at GKS Belchatow (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Jerry White joined GKS Belchatow, in the Polish Ekstraklasa, on a 1 year contract.

Here he is on the official website: http://gksbelchatow.com/index.php/squad/teamdescribe?id=21

Here is a yanks-abroad.com interview posted on the old thread: http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=6799

Jerry saw his first action with Belchatow today, playing 12 minutes in a 1-0 loss at Gornik Zabrze. http://www.soccerway.com/matches/20...aklasa/ks-gornik-zabrze/gks-belchatow/942117/

Belchatow is tied for 2nd in the Ekstraklasa, with 12 points from 6 games.

Also, I tried to come up with a good "Belch Town" joke for the thread title, but couldn't.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's pronounced Bew-hatov (white huts/homes) anyway.

It's basically a suburb of Łódź.

3. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    I lived for a year in Belchertown, Massachusetts. It beats 'Fartsville'.

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The Danish football website bold.dk have had a talk with White :

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/White-Ville-proeve-Europa-igen

- "I chose the club [Belchatow] instead of playing for a Middle Eastern club , because I wanted to try Europe again. Football down here is very physical , which will add another dimension to my game , " White said to bold.dk.

- "Compared to Denmark , I would say that Polish football is more [Physical] intense. The Danish league is more tactical , but the technical level is the same. We are are in 3rd place, well ahead of a team like Lech Poznan, that got a 3-3 result away against Juventus."

- I do not look for a contract in Denmark, because the income tax conditions are difficult. I miss Denmark, and keep in constant contact with my friends there. We bought a house back home in Philadelphia, but Aarhus will always be my second home, so I 'm glad to see that AGF are doing well, " White said.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case I petition to rename this thread something to the effect of "Putting the White in Belchatow."

In any case, I saw this clip of a Belchatow game almost being ended 10 minutes early on Dirty Tackle: http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...end-match-10-minutes-early-coa?urn=sow-277998

That reminded me to look up how White is doing.

In the last four games, Jerry has consecutively started, made the bench twice, and then didn't feature. Belchatow has a 2-1-1 record in these four games and are still 4th in the Ekstraklasa.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I wonder how much money his Saudi Arabian gig was.

Maybe he should have stayed there, if he could.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article says that Belchatow are currently negotiating the dissolution of White's contract as he has been injured too much and since his return he has been very poor and is not good enough to play for the squad.

9. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he's certainly seen a lot of the world, even if he doesn't have the ability to stay in one place

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    didn't the Revs draft him out of college? The grass is not always greener in Europe.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yep in the 3rd round but he turned them down to go to Serbia.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, but the sand is always hotter in the Middle East.

13. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its kinda weird. He got all the way to Aurhus, a good team in a pretty good European league, and now he's playing in a joke Polish division, with more corruption than contribution to soccer?

I mean I'm all for athletes grabbing the biggest offer, but how many of these big salary guys in the oil states actually succeed on and off the field? Next to none considering how many of these guys move away once their contract is over and can never seem to reach the heights they reached in more competitive leagues.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aarhus got relegated, which is why Feilhaber is trying to get out of there.

From what I've seen of Arab clubs, the style (if not the level of play) is very similar to the Mexican league: lots of time and space on the ball, not much physical pressure at all. Players who move from Arab leagues tend to have similar struggles to Latin American players moving to Europe or Mexican players moving to MLS. Going directly from Saudi Arabia to Poland is probably an especially ill-advised move.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Huh?

They don't play the prettiest soccer there but it's a large country and soccer there is very physical and intense.

Lech Posnan actually finished second in its Europa League group with 11 points (even with ManCity) and ahead of Juventus (6 pts) and Salzburg (2 pts).

And Lech currently lies 10th in the 16 team Extraklasa.

That's not exactly a record for pushovers.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Aarhus being relegated have to do with White? He left before that because of the tax laws in Denmark. Aarhus appreciated his contribution to the team and even helped him search for his next club.

Moving from the Middle East to Poland probably wasn't the smartest move though.

White turned down the Chicago Fire in search of another payday in Europe. Dude should've just taken the offer. He can be a key player for an average team in MLS. He should have just taken a short term deal, shown his worth, and earned a pay upgrade. You would think a player who has played so much overseas would welcome the opportunity to settle back down in the states and play for his ever-improving domestic league. Everyone else is doing it and everyone who hasn't plans on doing it.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I am far from being an insider, but my recollection is that White and the Fire were never that close to an agreement. He probably wanted decent money -200-250K, and they were thinking under 100K (for a guy who wanted to return, i.e. lacked leverage).

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy is going to have to accept less money than he's wanting. He's going to have to earn that paycheck.

We've seen what players with speed can do in this league: Huckerby, Richards, Zakuani, Pappa, Najar, etc. I'm not saying White can be that type of player, but MLS is definitely a league where speed kills.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.brotherlygame.com/2011/1...rialists-at-the-philadelphia-unions-first-day

Wasn't hard to the Philadelphia press to figure out which club despite the Union not releasing names :D

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I agree. I'd love to see in him in MLS and actually have a chance of seeing him play.

You'd think by now he'd kind of understand the salary deal with MLS. This makes me wonder what he was being paid in Poland vs what MLS offered.