Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this today and thought I would share it here. This is a report on recent activity by former RSL players/Academy kids. Comes from a bigger report on all US related players playing overseas. Here is the link for that if you want to read about the others. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

Sebastian Soto - The Hannover 96 strike prospect made his third appearance for the first team with a cameo in their 0-0 draw at Hertha Berlin on April 21. Soto was back with the Reds' second side at the start of this month, and picked up where he left off before the promotion. He shot down home side Dynamo Dresden with a brace on May 4 and fired the early equalizer in last weekend's 4-1 rout of Osnabrück. The return outburst brought his A Junior Bundesliga Nord/Nordost season total to 17.

Taylor Booth - The young attacking midfielder is fast becoming a lineup card fixture for the Bayern Munich Under-19's. Booth has now started four of their last five games.

Lalo Fernandez - Fernandez is also spending his time spectating while his club fights for the title. The goalkeeper is still rotating in and out of the back-up job for Liguilla semifinalists Tigres. The club needed an 84th minute strike from Andre-Pierre Gignac to get past first round foe Pachuca, and will now square off against Monterrey for a place in the final. That tie kicks off at home on Wednesday night.

Richie Ledezma - The PSV Eindhoven winter signing celebrated his first start for their Under-19 side (and, it's worth noting, manager Ruud van Nistelrooy) by netting the early opener in a 1-1 home draw with NAC Breda on May 4. Last weekend, he kept his spot in the No. 10 role for another 1-1 share against the joint NEC Nijmegen/TOP Oss team.

Sebastian Velasquez - Second flight promotion hopefuls Suwon FC have been extremely busy since our last update, playing six games. That means squad rotation, which has seen Velasquez start three and watch three from the bench. The third-place side lost all three matches played without the Colombian attacker, including their second round FA Cup tilt at Daegu FC. The good news is they won each contest that featured Velasquez, who has been a driving force for the club's offense.

Luis Silva - The forward made his fourth straight start for FC Honka in a 3-0 win at KuPS on April 20 before coming off the bench 11 minutes from time of a 3-2 victory over FC Inter five days later. All was going great for Silva and his new employers at that point, but he's missed their last three matches with an injury and they've gone 0-2-1 without him to slip from second to sixth place.

RSLer, trackrunner and Allez RSL repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Old time" RSL player Atiba Harris lined up against the Monarchs yesterday. He now plays for Oklahoma City Energy of the USL.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  4. CD Palestino

CD Palestino New Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Looks like Saborío is doing well after unretiring. He’s played a big role with San Carlos as they’ve gained promotion and recently won the Clausura in the Costa Rican Primera División. A quick look shows him netting 21 goals in 36 matches.

PumaJohnny, Todorojo, DrownedElf and 4 others repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss this man so much and am so happy for him and his family

Todorojo, rslfanboy, trackrunner and 2 others repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    If only he could have stuck around RSL a few more years. I absolutely loved that guy. What a loss for this team when he left. They haven't come within 10 miles of finding a player to fill his role for RSL.

jessyca, Todorojo and trackrunner repped this.
  7. CD Palestino

CD Palestino New Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Also want to add that Sabo made the provisional roster for Costa Rica’s Gold Cup team.

trackrunner, 15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always loved everyone that bagged on Sabo for being lazy, or whatever the complaint of the week was. Guy is still hands down the best scorer we'd ever had. I'd take another 'lazy' player like him in a heartbeat.

rslfanboy, Ender16, elkaholic and 6 others repped this.
  9. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robin Frazier is considered front runner for crapids job

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice piece on Sandoval doing well with New Mexico United. He had a rough spell bouncing around with teams (one folded right after they won their league), but is doing well with his hometown.

[​IMG]

BalanceUT, Allez RSL, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good that he is still playing in a decent league. Maybe some day, he will find himself back in the MLS.

BTW, while looking for info about New Mexico United (they lead the USL Championship Western Conference right now and the Monarchs are in 15th place), I came upon the Four Corners Cup, a competition between teams from states that make up the Four Corners region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_Cup

Allez RSL, RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandoval and Tate Schmidt on the field for New Mexico against Colorado in the USOC. So, too, is Kevaughn Frater, who came to the Monarchs on loan in 2017 as a 20 year old from Harbor View in Jamaica (he stayed just that season).

RSLer repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Sandoval scores 3 minutes in. He scored his pk shootout goal too. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

trackrunner, Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also had a potential game-tying snap header saved in quite amazing fashion in second half stoppage time. Clint Irwin got down quickly and then the ball trickled across half the goal mouth, almost on the line, and went out for a corner before Sandoval could follow up.

15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! Big Dev!

And also, Yay! Colorado got dumped out of the US Open Cup.

Both RSL and Colorado lost, but at least RSL didn't lose to a team from a lower division.

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Dev and New Mexico United defeated FC Dallas 2-1 in the USOC and are on to the quarterfinals.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dude was slow as tar but had an uncanny ability to find the goal - especially in this tournament. As a 3rd option at forward he would have been amazing depth for us. Wish we could have found a way to make that work but I'm happy for him, in his hometown, to be so successful.

El-ahrairah, DrownedElf, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd still be with us if he was as quick as any of our other forwards.

It's pretty bad when I feel like I might beat him in a foot race, and I'm far from being in running shape.

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Kyle?

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching a bit of the Gold Cup - Haiti specifically - had me curious about Jean Alexandre, who last I knew had been released by Orlando City right before they made the jump from USL to MLS. Since 2014 he has played in Malaysia, the NASL for a couple of seasons, and since last year with Hang Yuen FC in Taiwan. He was apparently signed in part to strengthen their campaign in the AFC Cup against teams from Macau and North Korea.

Allez RSL, rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The life of lower division professional soccer players would make a hell of a documentary. I mean, think about Vela. On top of all of his personal stuff, you add in the world trekking. It's wild. Hmm.... Nobody steal this idea, please.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange. Maybe he thought that the money he would be paid wasn't enough or something.

24. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I heard he was going to sign but showed up late.

PumaJohnny and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn alarm clock!