Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    feel bad for the guy in a way. Every time he rose to a good role in a team he got injured either on international duty or in some random game.

2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic has article clarifying the hire, but it's behind a paywall. This quote sums it up:

“At this time, we’re not going to name coaching positions, but he will not be the head coach of Inter Miami,” sporting director Paul McDonough told The Athletic. “Right now, Jason will be involved in everything we are doing on the technical side of the club, from scouting players for all levels of the club to training ground construction, and we’ll use his experiences to help us as we continue to grow.”

https://theathletic.com/792679/2019/01/30/jason-kreis-joins-inter-miami-technical-staff/

RSLer repped this.
  5. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kreis keeps it up maybe he'll be coaching the Monarchs some day.

ajr_RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like he might have decided on a different career path than coaching. With his experiences in MLS and inside the MC organization he probably has a lot to bring to franchises that go beyond coaching.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he did worst in New York (in my opinion) was waste - or completely get wrong - the year he had to build up the team before it launched. And this is more or less what Miami has hired him to do.

BalanceUT, RSLer, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you remember correctly, he didn't get to build the team. That was Claudio Reyna. Several pieces were forced on Kreis. They also made him spend that year learning the Man City way. I agree it was a disaster, but Reyna deserves as much blame as Kreis for the NYCFC debacle.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this too until watching NYCFC perform as well as they do now. Reyna is still in charge of the soccer operations so obviously something wasn't working with Kreis.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but I think everyone is too quick to blame him. Maybe Viera was given more say in player transactions and was able to do what he wanted with the team. I just think there is more there than Kreis crapping the bed. I wish he would've talked more about his time there during his interview on Spence Checkett's podcast. He wasn't afraid to say how he felt about Cunningham, but he didn't really go into his time at NYCFC.

However, I will say that Kreis did screw up by relying too much on players he had on RSL's team. He also didn't have a good set of CB's, and Wingert was not a good fit in that position.

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I wish good luck to JK in his new endeavor in Miami.

I would agree that his big mistake in NYCFC was trusting/relying on players he had coached before.

I think he could be a victim of his earlier success in that if he thinks all of his success on the field was because of his choices and not that he was part of a winning system that included a GM and FO that "guessed" right more often then not, he may be in for more pain and run on sentences.

He does seem quite sure of himself which is great unless that keeps you from seeing where you could improve.

I do think that they pulled the trigger on him in Orlando too soon and how they ended the season they probably made a mistake. They also have what appears to be a rather dysfunctional FO.

I would rather see JK and Javi in our FO/development team though.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Javi, yes. I’m still not sure about JK. FO is a new role for him.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still full price on the MLS website:

[​IMG]

Todorojo, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Also still full price on the RSL budget.)

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it before, I'll say it again, when Santi is scoring goals against RSL I really hope Waibel is made to watch and can explain it away

ajr_RSL repped this.
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or flopping on the ground like a fish out of water.....

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of flopping on the ground like a fish out of water, I've been thinking about how to rid the game of floppers/divers/simulators. Since the MLS regularly reviews games after the fact and assess penalties for infractions that the referees missed during the game (What? Referees missing penalties during the game? Say it isn't so!), the MLS can use this to penalize the floppers/divers/simulators.

1) Upon review, if a player from Team A is deemed to have simulated being fouled by another player of Team B, he will be suspended one game.

2) If the simulated foul resulted in a PK for Team A which was subsequently converted, the PK is removed and Team A loses that goal from total goals of Team A for the game. If the score is now tied between Team A and Team B, then the final score is a tie. If Team A now has less goals than Team B, then Team A loses the game. The simulator will receive an additional one game suspension for a grand total of two games,

3) If the simulated foul resulted in a red card for Team B, all goals scored after the red card by Team A will not count and be removed from the final score with ties/loses being awarded as per Number 2. The simulator will receive and additional one game suspension for a grand total of two games.

4) If the simulated foul results in a penalty kick and a red card, the simulator will receive a three game suspension with the removal of goals from the final score as per Numbers 2 and 3.

I don't know what this will do, but at least it's more than what MLS does because if you are going to retroactively assess fouls, you might as well have the team pay for the cheating of one of it's players.

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather just stick to harsh penalties to the diving player. Any situation that results in removing goals just sets precedent to do it to more infractions. Team scored a goal that was offsides? May as well go back and remove it. Goal wasn't counted because an incorrect offsides was called? Better go add it in after the fact. Same with fouls or anything else that could affect the buildup to a goal.

I think by adding harsh infractions for dives, and adding additional games if done within x amount of time, would do enough to curb the behavior. At the same time, I'd love to see penalties to players faking injury. I'd love if there was a hard rule of x seconds and the training staff has to enter the field. If they enter the field, then the player can't come back before x minutes. I find it ridiculous that sometimes a player can flop around for a couple minutes then get up like nothing happened. Same thing about when the training staff gets waved on, then 20 seconds later the player is waved back onto the field.

If something like 30 seconds and the staff has to come on, then 2 or 3 minutes the player had to be off the field before returning, I think you'd see a lot less embellishment. Numbers could be adjusted to find a more healthy amount of time, but I feel like making it a detriment to fake injury would help curb the practice. Same with diving for penalties.

PumaJohnny and El-ahrairah repped this.
  21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also sucks losing Javi to Miami. To shaft one of our most influential players ever was criminal. While most of us could see that he wasn't up playing every game at a high level, the club still did it. To shaft him out of the final game to not have to guarantee his contract, then have a crap meeting to let him go was just stupid. It could've been handled so much better. Then he likely would've stuck with us in the academy.

Sadly, we're now paying for the mistake with KB, who we seem to be determined to start him and run him straight into the ground, instead of using him sparingly while he helps train the new replacement. It's insane.

22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS already reviews the goals during the game to make sure that there wasn't an offsides that would have negated the goal so a second review after the fact would be stupid (but I wouldn't put it past MLS to be that stupid). However, I still think that the team should suffer a punishment for any player who wants to simulate a foul. One or two times that a team has a tie or victory removed due to some player's stupidity will greatly curb any approval, tacit or otherwise, for flopping, especially when one or two points can mean the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I also agree about players faking injuries and the 30 second rule with 2 to 3 minutes off the field. I think would make players think twice about doing that, especially during stoppage time. It frustrating when one team is pushing for the game-tieing or -wining goal and watch the opposing teams players start falling down like flies to kill the other teams momentum. CONCACAF teams do this all the time and I have often thought that the USMNT should screw the fair-play BS and just keep playing, no matter what.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without being specific, some of these takes show glimpses of reason counterbalanced heavily by crazy.

24. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    JK is quite confident, but I think most fans would be surprised by how reflective he can be. He was someone always questioning what he could do better as a coach and making adjustments from that. He obviously didnt always get it right, but not because he wasn't looking for areas of improvement.

The key to his success at RSL was that he was extremely well supported by ownership, and especially the GM. He also had very low expectations put on him early on and was able to try different things and figure out what worked. Initially he did have Adu thrown his way and was expected to use him, but that was short lived. In both NY and Orlando there were significantly more political pressures that had an impact on how he coached. He didnt really have to deal with that here.

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ol' Double-post joke! Well played, sir!

goobx1 repped this.