Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, all that RSL achieved with Borchers on the field was with Cassar as one of his coaches - all seven years. I think it diminishes the kind of relationship they almost certainly have to think of it like this.

BalanceUT, Allez RSL, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because he is really 35 and on the decline.

andyslc, DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the MLS N&A forum:

PumaJohnny, rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of Sabo's best moments, scoring seconds after returning from a 4 month injury:

Only time I can remember seeing him smiling that much. He did a very low key appearance at a Smith's once and my dad went to see him. Literally no one there so my dad got to chat with him a bit. A few months later my dad saw him again in the tunnel at the Riot that leads to the southwest corner of the field. Sabo smiled when he saw my dad, waved and said he remembered him. He wasn't very public and didn't show much emotion, but he was a good guy. Sad that his playing days have come to an end.

Allez RSL, RSLer, rslfanboy and 5 others repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal was one of my favorite moments in RioT history. It didn't really mean a whole lot for the club in terms of trophies or anything like that, but it was just surreal to watch it happen. The stadium went bonkers.

Sabo had a house out in Herriman with his wife and dogs near where I used to coach kids. There was a time where he was out walking his dog, just like any other guy, right after my practice had ended. I don't speak spanish well enough to bridge the language gap, but he was incredibly nice.

Another time, my mom was selected as "Mother of the Match" (back when that was a thing) and we got to go down on the pitch for warmups. Sabo was coming off an injury so he couldn't play that game. He and Javier (also hurt) were sitting on the bench in street clothes watching the team warmup. I went over to them, in my old school white RSL kit and asked them to sign it with a marker. Both of them were more than happy to. We also chatted for a bit about when they would each be back. It was cut short once one of the stadium people realized we shouldn't be over there. It was still way fun, though.

Oh, and lastly: Am I the only one who catches themselves saying "Sab-o-Rio!" when they do player introductions? He was always last one to be announced in the XI. It just felt so right to yell that to end it...

RSLer, pcny, DrownedElf and 1 other person repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not done yet!!!

Any time the ball was whipped into the box when Sabo was in there, I would yell "TICOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" I thought the guy would win any header. I had reason to, as well. The dude was the best true number 9 to play at RSL and, IMO, probably the league. He was everything a 9 should be. Call him a donkey if you will - that ass put the ball in the net better than anyone else we've ever had.

SpiffCoug, Allez RSL, RSLer and 6 others repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more - this was funny as hell

10. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still get chills watching that.

UPinSLC repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch Andy Williams in this clip. and also Sabo's ridiculous finish

rslfanboy repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this would probably work, too

RSLer, rslfanboy and UPinSLC repped this.
  13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sabo was one of my all time RSL favorites. Missed him already, and now even more.

FC-Sky11, Ismitje, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Great memories. My parents almost always introduce me as their son who flipped off the camera at the end of that game.

15 to 32 and pcny repped this.
  15. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at that game.... seems forever ago

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping you'd comment here.

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Stertzer to NYCFC.

18. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article here - Best of luck, John!

19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    From the article:
    Fascinating.

pcny repped this.
  20. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, let's be honest about it. Who would you learn more from - RSL's coach or NYCFC's?

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, NYCFC indicated they wanted to sign Stertzer in part because "the timing of his runs inside the box is really good - he’s always at the right place at the right time." That seems like something he probably honed here with this coaching staff in his three years as a pro, no?

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Probably. Left off of your quote right after
    is
    He tallied 1 goal and 1 assist in 4 seasons, totaling 48 games and over 1900 minutes. He played a fair amount in 2015 and 2016.

Was Stertzer ever utilized by RSL in a role that would ask him to make those runs in the box? (Has RSL asked anyone other than Sabo/Yura to make runs in the box???) To score goals? IIRC, he was a backup for Beckerman and a defensive sub, not someone we utilized to provide offensive spark, no?

It seems like Vieira sees something useful in him that RSL either didn't see or saw more value in him playing a role that didn't utilize that skill set. That's fine, and probably developed a part of his game that he or his coaching staff may have put a lower priority on. But this is all hypothetical until he sees playing time with NYCFC and either makes a contribution to their offense or fails to do so.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fair to say that it's better for Stertzer to be making runs, or doing anything other than passing the ball or trying to dribble with it.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stertzer is a prime example of a decent enough player that was stuck in the wrong formation/tactics. He's an 8. He doesn't offer anything super flashy going forward like a 10 or a winger 7. He doesn't have the defensive strength to play the destroyer 6. In the current RSL system, we really don't have room for an 8. The closest is the role that Sunny occupies, and that's a really weird mix of a 6 and 8, honestly. I don't envy the player that has to take on that role.

The one goal Stertzer did score for RSL was a hell of a finish to the far post. I only remember it because my nephew was the player mascot that day for John.

I wish John well - we have the second coming of him in Omar Holness right now, so maybe in a few years Omar can make the move to NYCFC and get fawned over

25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States