Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salacious Bum repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it a step further... what the hell does the general manager of a national team DO in the first place?

LastOfEleven repped this.
  3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    He... you know.... in general.... manages... things...

Totally spit-balling here but thinking... maybe the GM of the USMNT oversees the different groups that run the day-to-day stuff. Brian has background in playing (understanding players' needs in camps and tournaments), TV (understands how to handle media scheduling of players/coaches), and was both domestic and abroad (familiar with MLS and European organizations). Not sure that he has management experience but he does have experience in aspects of USMNT life. So he oversees what others are doing and could be in a position to identify gaps for different departments to address.

LaMacchia repped this.
  4. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agreed. Also, I admittedly don’t understand the power structure in USSF anymore, but can anyone really imagine these guys holding each other accountable? The Berhalter & Berhalter situation is ridiculous enough on its own.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I usually “get” USMNT references like this, but this one isn’t ringing a bell.

Do you mean Mike “can’t guard the near post” Burns?

Help a brother out.

west ham sandwich and Bill Archer repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I hear “US in the World Cup 2006,” I have terrible flashbacks to yelling at my screen (Bruce) to take out Eddie Pope at halftime.

History will show he did not, but the ref did shortly after.

RafaLarios repped this.
  7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to check Wikipedia, and then watch the highlight video of that USA-Italy match on YouTube--I had forgotten that Pope was our other ejection in that match. My recollection of Eddie was that he was a pretty level-headed, steady, reliable CB--not like him to get one, much less two, yellows. Not sure that I would have subbed out a CB at the half for sitting on a yellow.

At the time (and to this day), the biggest crime in my mind committed by Pompous Man in that match was that, playing a man down from just after halftime, he NEVER USED THE THIRD SUB!!! Get some fresh legs on!! Italy was gassed also--from playing with 10 men themselves!!

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had lost a step.. or a few steps.. many steps.

9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Pope was getting old. Heck, most of that 2006 team was old. But who would you pair with Gooch? The choices were Berhalter (32) and Conrad (29). (Or bring somebody younger to Germany in the first place.)

Doesn’t change the fact that, unless injured, you generally don’t sub out a center back during a match, but rather sub out a winded midfielder (or a striker).

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I hated about that match, afterwards, was the fact that FIFA allowed the player that took out McBride to come back for the final, when they dropped a game off the original suspension.

Draghignazzo and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the team specific 6 game ticket to follow the USA at the 2006 World Cup. It was a once in a lifetime 30 day vacation. The only downside was after the USA was eliminated during the group stage we had to follow Italy and watch them squeak by all comers. I was an eye witness to them knocking out Australia, Ukraine and Germany on July 4th, before heading home to watch them win the final too. That trip would have been at least 25% better if any of those teams had beaten them.

europe2006 340.jpg

Kryptonite, Ch(Elsey) and kgilbert78 repped this.
  12. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agoose, obviously!

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not Maverick (he says, having seen the new movie trailer last week)...;);)

14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen neither official retirement announcements nor hints that they have signed for another club for Meram and Higuain. Any idea where they ended up?

15. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Saw rumor posted somewhere yesterday that Meram is signing with an Asian club. No other details. And a couple sentences at the end of a dispatch article yesterday said Higuain is currently rehabbing and focused on getting back on the field, or something along those lines. Doesn't sound like he's ready to retire at all, but I'm trying to figure out what the market for his services looks like and I'd have to imagine it's pretty dire.

Tobias C, Ch(Elsey) and BigStern repped this.
  16. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Technically both are currently free agents.

There was a note in the article about LZ's arrival stating that Higuain was working towards a comeback but with no destination listed. Appears he's still in Columbus but I can't imagine him fitting into the Crew roster so who knows with him.

Meram will probably find a roster spot once every MLS team gets into Training Camp and some team realize it needs some wing depth. Can't imagine that would be the Crew even if the wing depth is a still a question.

I guess there's a chance either of them head to another country's league, probably more likely for Meram as it seems Higuain has settled here in Columbus.

So my speculation will be that Higuain remains a free agent unless injury bug gets bad here in Columbus and Meram finds a team somewhere.

17. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    That makes sense to me. Not sure what kind of deal he'd be able to get on a MLS third (possibly fourth) chance.

18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Jahn is reportedly set to sign with Atlanta. That's only slightly awkward.

[​IMG]

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, you mean Jeff Agoof.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we never won much of anything while those two studs were here, I will always think highly of both.

crew2112 repped this.
  21. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tobias C and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can't stop Adam Jahn, you can only hope to contain him. :)

Bill Archer repped this.
  23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s the tweet I saw...

24. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can't beat him, hire him.

25. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping Meram goes to Asia, and snags a job with a high profile team over there, gets significant playing time and at least one more big(ish) payday.

For Higuain, I hope hes still hanging around here because hes going to stay around here. Since we never had some big sending off goodbye moment, I could see him joining the coaching staff, academy, or front office in some capacity.

Minnman repped this.