Everyone's favorite son: The Timo Werner thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BorisG repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Werner is killing it in Europe scoring to make it 1-0 HT for RB vs Marseille. Very nice goal.
    https://flixtc.com/w/i9jP6wg

It's his 7th goal in Europe this season.
    In EL, 4 goals and 2 assists in 5 games. An average of more than a goal/assist per game.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

that's him having involvement over 9 goals in 11 games in Europe this season. Not bad considering this is his 1st real season in Europe. He did play like 30 minutes in EL something like 4-5 years ago as an 17 year old.

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He also missed a lot of minutes in the CL due to injuries.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that is true, half of his CL games he was only a sub player or played nowhere near the full games because of his health/hearing issues that affected him in that period.

even with those issues he still scored 3 goals in 6 games in CL although likely to have been more had he been fully fit.

Also when it comes to EL, he's already just outside the top 10 scorers lol after 5 games only.

7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  8. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1 goal in last 11 BL games.........

Form is a bit worrying

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I rather have him saving energy right now. I'm sure he will step up heading to the World Cup.

10. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From what Rangnick said, Timo Werner is not 100% healthy and has some minor injuries.

I think this season he has shown some of his weaknesses in his game: lacking composure and poor finishing, relying too much on counter

last match VS Werder Bremen he couldve scored a hattrick. Kinda reminds me in his Stuttgart days

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’m not concerned about his form. I think a lot of it has to do with the poor tactics from his coach.

If he is struggling at the WC Gomez can always sub in for him.

Dage repped this.
  12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    It's not unusual for young players to show fluxes in form. Other comparable strikers like Belotti, Andre Silva, Dolberg, Schick, Iheanacho who were well rated a year ago have fallen off considerably even more. But you never rule out such players to bounce back again in the future.

Leipzig has also had to deal with an expanded schedule participating in more competitions, while having a relative lack of depth and key players unavailable due to injuries at various periods.

But through it all, Werner is still by far the most productive player in his club. His scoring rate in CL and EL also stands out for someone who's in his first year playing in European competition, with goals against clubs such as Porto, Monaco, Napoli, Zenit, and Marseille.

Dage repped this.
  13. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will he bounce back before WC tho?

14. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did he miss many easy sitters today?

Looks like it was a very open match and he still couldn’t score. Very very worrying

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they were down to 10 men by the 47th minute.

not really worrying, German NT isn't the same as the RB one. And RB have sucked all season. They were very scrappy team last season,this season they got worse. And when the team isn't always fit doesn't help either.

what's worrying is that Keita will be gone next season, then they'll be even worse unless they find a good replacement. Which I have my doubts on.

16. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [emoji23][emoji23]

He should come to Bayern...

IMG_0250.JPG

17. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Open match? Leipzig got thoroughly destroyed by Hoffenheim. The match was basically decided by half time

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It’s an open match because both side have poor defence and play high line

Many room for Leipzig to play counter. I was worried because Keita seems to score more goals in BL than Werner lately.

Don’t wanna find excuse but Werner missed two easy chances Vs Werder Bremen too

Really lacking composure. Those were chances even I would score

And I think Rangnick publicly criticised him as well

19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #344 Epitome990, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    There's many factors involved towards Leipzig's overall struggles. Which I find unfair to be completely scrutinized upon a 22 year old. Especially playing at a position where most elite strikers won't reach their prime until their mid-20s. So a young player will go through periods of ups and downs. Even a more veteran player like Volland, or Selke went through long periods of time of not scoring. Others like Uth took many years of being under the radar before finally developing. Also in the past there's seasons where even Miroslav Klose was in really poor league form but still put it together when given a chance to be part of a cohesive unit on the NT.

The season is long, so a lot happens. And Leipzig are just dysfunctional all over the place right now. Even with that Werner still remains his team's top offensive player in basically every category. And this is done with complementary attacking players like Forsberg and Poulsen being pretty much non-existant all season, and Sabitzer put injured. How he does in the BL can mean different things. But I find his quality performances in European competitions to be really encouraging because that shows more signs of playing well at a higher and more spotlighted stage.

dips82 and Ger90 repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    19 goals and 8 assists is struggling???

that's almost 30 goals/assists this season. Could still hit 30+ by the end of the season.

and like Epitome said, his performances in Europe show his quality and Low has always said Europe>>>>League.

Dage and Epitome990 repped this.
  21. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just saw poor composure and finishing recently

If he can calm down a bit and managed better, he could’ve scored a hattrick last match Vs Werder Bremen

Anyway, I m not too confident about his performance in WC, still a wild card. Not experienced and it seems like he struggled under pressure.

Composure is the main issue, many of his finishing is just hitting it straight to goalkeeper insitead of calming down, observe and shoot at a better angle

I think he’s good, but He isn’t ready to start in WC yet. Maybe WC is one year too soon for him

I don’t know, maybe we can start Mario Gomez first and see if we need Werner when we play a more counter approach

He isn’t too confident handling the ball in tight space too

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Werner with his 12th of the season to make it 2-0 for RB.
    https://streamja.com/NNpb

was also his 20th goal in all competition this season.

Epitome990 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Werner with his 7th assist of the season to make it 3-1.
    https://streamja.com/WnvR

1 more goal or assist and Werner hits 30+ goals/assists in all competition.

BorisG and Epitome990 repped this.
  24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even if Werner isn’t on fire scoring goals, the entire offense functions better with him on the pitch. He has much better technik than any of the other options.

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Werner with his 8th assist of the season to give RB the 2-1 lead.
    https://streamable.com/09zax

It was Werner's 30th goal+assist of the season.

Epitome990 repped this.