Everton vs Arsenal (EPL) 21 Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Dec 20, 2019.

1. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see another clean sheet. Those have been rare this season. Only our 3rd in the league so far.

In general, we lacked any real creativity or ideas. The midfield was good coming back to support defense, but they really never broke down Everton's defense or started any notable counter-attacks.

Martinelli had his worst game for us, imo. He's young, and may have sustained a knock early in the match, but he wasted most of our best chances by shooting and not getting close to on goal.

I never felt like we would lose, which is a positive. But it never felt like we could win either, which is discouraging, but still more positive than negative to take away from this match.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 NorthBank, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    My take on that was that it was a statement about the end for Freddie. Obviously the end of him being in the hot seat, but quite possibly the end of him coaching the first team, and perhaps the end of him being on the staff in general. (I hope not)

So there were extra hugs going around, especially between him and the youngins.

A similar thing was going on for Everton, to an even greater degree. Especially on an emotional level. It was touching to see Big Dunc, after FT and his pitchside interview, giving away much of his wardrobe to deserving kids.

Ps. When have we ever seen two clubs with brand new managers on the day they play each other?!! Maybe it's happened to somebody else but I'd venture to say it's never happened to Arsenal.

fari repped this.
  3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Clean sheet!

fari repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the hardest part of our schedule.

We need to win away at Bournemouth, and then scrap 2 points at home to Utd and Chelsea - that would give us 6 points from 15 including the game already lost to City

Then we have a much easier run of games through Jan/Feb where we have to play Chelsea & City but otherwise some very winnable games.

In many respects the season starts again now.

fari repped this.
  5. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely felt like these teams could have played for a week straight and neither score a goal.

6. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    can't believe i got up at 5:30 am my time for that mess.

the backline did well all things considered. also lucas and Xhaka huffed and puffed in midfield. ESR, Willock and perhaps Nelson need to go on loan, they all look so lightweight and unsure. I felt it for Auba today he was really starved of chances

NorthBank repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to stop watching with about 25 minutes left to take my son to his ODP training session. As we were leaving, he asked, "dad are you dvr'ing so we can see the end later." My response, "Yes, but I'm fairly confident this is ending nil-nil."

fari, bigredfutbol and maskito repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me watching fans turn on Robbie and aftv, requiring police intervention

[​IMG]

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Have to say that I don’t think it was as bad a most.

Although it is clear to me that our young players still have a way to go.

The three behind Auba had zero passes completed into the box and created zero chances from open play. That’s woeful for three attacking mid/wingers. Our young “fullbacks” did very little as well creating one chance between them and they are actually wingers. So we had 4 wingers and a #10 and still couldn’t create much.

the quality just doesn’t seem to be there at the moment.

Arteta will have his hands full. We need quality of ozil and Pepe or we will struggle the rest of the season.

10. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Your ire is directed at the wrong person. Robbie is a class act and a good guy. He has finally given fans a platform to voice there opinions and views. The board and club do not like that and traditional media is jealous of his success because they don't believe a person like "him and his lot" should have much influence and have a voice. Btw thuggery and violence should have no place in Arsenal football or the game.

fari and meyers repped this.
  11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 Shen-O, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    I heard you the other 2-3 times.

Obviously I don’t agree. Not condoning fan violence but I love people turning on aftv. As long as nobody gets hurt, I will continue to enjoy this, no matter how many times you tell me he’s doing some public service.

I simply don’t like aftv, from the very beginning.

yossarian repped this.
  12. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Agree to disagree.

NorthBank and Shen-O repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched Freddie's post-match presser, and if you haven't already seen it, I think it's worth your 5 mins to watch:

Although it's a bit surprising & disappointing that he wasn't able to get better results from his brief run of 6 games as caretaker, in that time he's confirmed that he's a class act.

If Mikel can conduct his interviews with the poise, directness and honesty that Freddie does here, we'll all be happy.

p.s. Freddie seemed a tad "lighter" in this post-match Q&A compared to others. Part of that might be from earning an away point, or a clean sheet,. But I sense an even bigger factor: that he seems relieved... i.e. not to be in the hot seat any more. As if this responsibility came a tad early for him. He may still evolve to be a head coach somewhere but maybe not quite yet, and not here under these circumstances.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't condone violence or even intimidation against Robbie and his parade of misanthropes; they certainly have a right to do what they do. Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I said I was able to muster much sympathy for them. There's a fine line between "giving the supporters a voice" and breeding toxicity, and I think he doesn't mind crossing that line because of the "views" it generates. But the problem is toxicity breeds more toxicity, and he's starting to reap a bit of that it seems. Doesn't make the response "right" but it doesn't surprise me either.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States