Everton Sign Francisco Junior (Coleman / Barkley return) Jagielka/Osman Coming Back

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Pigs, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everton Sign former Benfica Starlet Francisco Junior

Everton have signed the 20-year-old former Benfica academy graduate Francisco Junior on a free transfer.

The midfielder, who has been capped twice by Portugal Under-21s and spent some time in Manchester City's development squad earlier this season, has signed a four-and-a-half year deal, subject to receiving international clearance.

Seamus Coleman Returns
    [​IMG]
    The Everton midfielder Seamus Coleman on Tuesday made a goalscoring return for the reserves more than a month after being sidelined with a thigh problem.

Barkley Plays For Reserves
    Teenager Ross Barkley, who made such an impact in the first two months of the season but has not featured since November 26 because of a knee problem, also stepped up his bid for full fitness with a run out and goal in the 6-3 win over Newcastle at the club's Finch Farm training complex.

Jagielka and Osman Returning Soon
    It leaves only Phil Jagielka (knee), Leon Osman (knee) and Jack Rodwell (hamstring) of the senior players to return from injury.
    Rodwell, who has made only three appearances since November, was in training last week until he suffered a setback.

However, Jagielka's return was scheduled for late February/early March and the defender is looking forward to edging closer to first-team involvement.

'It has probably been the longest January ever but I have got over that and am out of the brace and starting to do more in training as well,' said the centre-back, who has not played since damaging medial knee ligaments in the defeat to Bolton on January 4.

'I have had Ossie (Leon Osman) for company which has been good and we'll hopefully be stepping it up in the next couple of weeks. I am getting there.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rton-sign-Francisco-Junior.html#ixzz1mOa7bInt

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does this "international clearance" work?

I was under the impression that under the rules of the European Union, there weren't any restrictions to a citizen of a member nation moving to another member nation to work.

But I guess different rules apply for professional footballers?

3. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest I don't know. I suppose it's just legal work. I can't see how there would be any problems.

4. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    International clearance is needed on any transfer that is across border from where the previous contract was held (in this case Portugal). The Portuguese FA will be asked to ratify the deal (i.e. player has fulfilled all legal requirements throughout their contract, etc) and when passed issue an international transfer certificate to our FA which allows him to play here.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Looks like a way for the FA's and lawyers to rack up fees more than anything else.

6. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the guy:

[​IMG]

Everton have signed rising star Francisco Santos Da Silva Junior on a free transfer.

The 20-year-old, known as Francisco Junior, has been monitored by David Moyes and his scouting staff for some time and he arrives at Goodison Park on a four-and-a-half year deal, subject to receiving international clearance.

Junior, who will wear number 30, has already trained with his new team mates after completing a medical and agreeing personal terms at the Blues' Finch Farm training headquarters.

The highly rated player, who was being chased by other top European clubs, is able to sign for Everton outside the UK transfer window as he is currently a free agent.

Born in Guinea-Bissau in West Africa, the young midfielder stepped up his footballing education after joining Benfica's well-renowned academy and has been capped twice by Portugal at Under-21 level.

At the start of the current season he spent some time at Manchester City and appeared for their development side including appearing in the Manchester Senior Cup but Everton officials have moved quickly in the past 48 hours on hearing of his availability to secure his signature.

taken from the official website: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/02/14/blues-sign-francisco-junior

7. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Junior Joy At Blues Move
    "I really like the players, there are many famous players here and I think they can help me develop my talent," he said. "I also feel very good about the supporters. I saw the game against Chelsea and the fans had so much passion for the Club. I can see it is a family Club and I want to play for those fans.

"The training ground is right up there too, it's a top facility and Everton is a top, top club."

Asked to explain what he can bring to Everton, Junior added: "It's difficult for me to say what my qualities are - I'd prefer to show the fans and then after have them tell me what my qualities are or not.

"But I'm coming here to show my football, in every training session I will give everything, and when I have an opportunity to play I will do so with lots of heart.

“I like to play beautiful football, I like to touch the ball and I like to play both defensively and in attack. I can play both ways and with both feet.

"My first mission is to try to get into the first team. Then it is to win over the fans and to win things with Everton. They're a big team and they're a team which is normally challenging for cups or for the European places. That is what I want to do."

read more: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/02/14/junior-joy-at-blues-move

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any mention about what role Francisco Junior normally has in the midfield?

It seems like we have more than enough defensive midfielders.

So hopefully Francisco can provide an attacking threat, either centrally or on the wing.

9. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this caught me for a loop that's for sure... wtf is going on with our everton!!!! 4 1/2 signings???? OMG!!!

;)

10. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I don't think it costs. Every player has to do it even down to amateur leagues I think. It's more just to confirm a transfer of registration across borders. Has to happen even when players are signed from Scotland and Ireland.

11. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Apparently he does both, so I guess he is box to box. I heard that he is similar to Ramires from Chelsea in style of play. Seen him described as "looks a player", "a bit tasty" and "a livewire". Been impressive in training supposedly. I guess he will start with the reserves but who knows.

12. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy is number 4 in this video. (He's more of a all round central midfielder)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fw75KgwSiU"]francisco junior.manchester city player new makelele - YouTube[/ame]

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like someone who could be very handy once Landon heads back to the States.