Even more . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 30, 2014.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That CCL berth is the only reason it’s on MLS teams’ radar.

goobx1 repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you get to host MLS Cup, should you do well in the playoffs, with it too.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I like the Supporters Shield, I'm glad it's a part of MLS, and I'd rather RSL win it than the Open Cup. Not that the Open Cup is bad, it's just not as impressive an achievement.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is an interesting take

The Euro view of these things would suggest that they are of equal importance and, based on where you are as a club in your league, the Open Cup (domestic tournament) would actually be viewed as a higher achievement/more realistic achievement.

I think the Open Cup has potential to be a really good tool for US soccer growth. The way it is currently played, though leads it to being just a bunch of games for MLS teams that they throw away or not even care about. I hate how late MLS teams are introduced. I hate how few lower division teams are able to play. I think it really dumb that USL affiliated sides aren't allowed in given the roster limitations that tournament requires. It's a mess. I know it's not easy, but there are a lot of self inflicted wounds that makes it so I lose sympathy fairly quickly.

I honestly think that the Open Cup has the potential to be the best tournament in the country. If modified, it could last the life of a season so be of a great achievement for a team. However, it's also a tournament so it can play to American's love of knockout tournaments.

Instead of waiting until the 4th round and having the field be 2/3 MLS, why not throw in MLS sides from the start? Especially if you're going to limit USL affiliated teams from playing, have MLS sides jump in early with the ability to have a roster of 45-50 players. Then make it so that roster must be narrowed down at later rounds, if you so desire.

Add more amateur teams to the mix to get the team number to where it needs to be. Also include some byes for the previous years winner, finalists, etc if the numbers get too hard to crunch. I think it's ridiculous that MLS teams don't jump in until round 4 with the field only being 11 teams from other divisions. That is flat out dumb.

BalanceUT, RSLer, El-ahrairah and 2 others repped this.
  5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw the MLS teams in at the start like in France and let the USL teams who are sponsored by MLS teams also play in the Open Cup. I want to see an amateur team knock off an MLS side or better yet, an USL team like the Monarchs knock off a MLS side like RSL. Just think of the sturm und drang that could result from that!

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had to go. His tactics were abysmal, the team underperfoming, and last weekend he stated publicly that he has a bottom of the barrel roster. I am surprised he made it to Wednesday of this week.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's not wrong
    but also, yeah, they were painful to watch

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as Casey goes, the other two assistants were part of the NZNT setup from which the head coach came; Casey is the only one not part of the Kiwi brain trust, and as such the only real option to coach. Plus he has a positive history with the team.

9. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

UofRSL, RSLer, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 to 32 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, meteorologists get paid a shit ton of money to look out the window and say whats going on, so why not

Todorojo and El-ahrairah repped this.
  12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching games as a player is probably different that watching games as a coach. I'm sure he's changed his opinion since he stopped playing, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten into coaching. There are a lot of players that don't watch soccer, including high profile players like Carlos Vela. That tweet seems a bit out of context and is just trying to stir the pot. But Casey is still a wanker.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to not watch ANY soccer is weird to me. I know there are other players that don't, and that's fine, but how/why did that change for Casey as he moved into coaching? Or does the guy still hate it?

Any time I think we've got it rough out here, in any fashion, I just look to the other side of the Rockies and realize we've got it pretty damn nice.

BalanceUT, goobx1 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a GM worth a damn, I'd say we should take advantage of the cRapids situation. That roster is not a complete waste. It has bad players, don't get me wrong, but it has some talented players we could use.

I'm still upset we didn't go after Diego Rubio. Kelyn Acosta could be a good fit in our midfield problem. Dillon Cerna at LB could be a solution.

15. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you missed the priority...are there any wings that RSL could grab. CW never saw a winger he didn't like.

SenordrummeR2, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wings? Like at KFC or Buffalo Wild Wings, those type of wings?

17. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehehe....they would be just as useful at this point

18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand if this is out of contex. If he only watches out of job duties (to scout, learn, tactics, etc) vs out of entertainment, I could see how it could be boring for someone who loves and rather play the game, then watch someone else play it. If he doesn't watch games period even for his job then . . . Good for us because rapid are going to be bad still.

I have a friend who use to race motor cycles professionally. Another friend asked him what kind of bike he had in his garage, and if he still watches the sport. His response was none and no. This made the friend curious how he could give up such a hudge part of his life that he use to enjoy. The former racer said it is hard to go from rush of racing at over 150 mph to driving in your neighborhood. Hard to go from lifestyle of a racer to cut any party club line, invites to Playboy Mansion, to watching TV with your mom on the weekend night.

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was far down the Things To Do list for Kroenke.

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this quote sounds like another team I know...
    After a series of recent issues and a team culture that had deteriorated, we determined that it’s time to make a change to return a club-centered focus to the team,” president Jeff Berding said in a statement. “This decision is not driven by recent game results themselves, but rather the underpinnings that have led to those results. We have not come close to maximizing the talent we have in the dressing room this year, nor have we seen a foundation being built that will set us up for success this year and into next year. Our whole locker room is committed to our club goal of earning an MLS postseason bid, and we need to put them in the best position to do so.

22. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    C'mon Pappa Del Loy, you're next!

23. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team: