Even more . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 30, 2014.

1. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allowing him to focus on assists may reduce the use of the "Nagbe shoots..." meme.

15 to 32 repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Nashville is getting an expansion franchise since The Don will be there today for a "major announcement". At least I would think that was the case, but with MLS, you never can tell. They might just be announcing that that in the future, there will be another major announcement about something really, really important.

3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/nashville-lands-mls-expansion-franchise.2079835/

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I think MLS will be huge in Nashville. Can't wait.

RSLer repped this.
  6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the Don pulling the soccer ball away from Sacramento?

Ismitje and El-ahrairah repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be surprised by that as an outcome. I think it will resemble Minnesota more than Atlanta. They have a sure thing in Sacramento and a very likely good thing in Cincinnati, yet they go for what appears to be a complete unknown in a metro pop 1/3 the size of Atlanta's. The region is generally unfavorable towards soccer. College football is king, queen, and the entire peerage. Basketball is how you pass the winter and spring. Summer is for tubing on the rivers with beer, then football again.

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a fun city to visit too.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that the region is unfavorable towards soccer. Right next door the ACC has elite university soccer programs. Yes, college football is king. I'm from that region and I can tell you that the people need a professional sports entertainment to fill the time between football seasons. I would say the attitude towards soccer is similar to that in Northern Utah. Youth soccer is big. Its a University town and a State Capitol. The South is still a growing area and the only MLS clubs there are Atlanta and Orlando. Strategically I think its a good decision. Would Sacramento and Cincinnati have been good choices also? Sure.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a pretty decent hockey team there that they support pretty well...

11. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

I spend a lot of time in Nashville, and it's a stronger soccer town than most would think. I've watched a number of World Cup matches in sports bars there, and witnessed the support and knowledge they have for the sport first hand. They've also been strong supporters of the USMNT whenever its visited Nashville.

It's much smaller than Atlanta, so of course it won't be anything like Atlanta. If that's the standard to measure against, all new expansion teams will likely be a failure - there are very few cities out there in that size range currently without a team. IMO Nashville a much better than choice than Cincinnati (which btw is less than 300 miles from Nashville and in that "region" you mentioned above).

Nashville proper is actually larger than both Sacramento and Cincy, but both have much larger metropolitan populations - however, when it comes to soccer support, I'm not sure that's the best proxy for success. I'll be fairly surprised if Sacto doesn't end up with one of the other 3 spots.

The other hidden factor about Nashville is the factor that local celebrity support can play. When you have Nicole Kidman, Kid Rock or Carrie Underwood on the radio or tv talking about how much they love going to the games, it creates an energy and excitement in the city that's hard to explain. I've marveled at this for years when it comes to the Predators and this hit a crescendo this year when the Preds made the Stanley Cup. I was in town during this, and it was a crazy scene on Broadway. If they can manage to capture even a portion of that early on with the MLS team, it has a strong chance for success.

georg, RSLer, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely hope you are correct.

As to Sacramento... we've seen the football pulled away by Lucy so many times now that I'm convinced MLS genuinely doesn't want them.

13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagle blew it. He needs additional investors, but won't give them the voice to go with it.

14. Nikola97

Nikola97 New Member

CSKA Sofia
    Bulgaria
    Dec 22, 2017
    If someone of MLS teams need a left/right wing:
    This is the man!
    Please, save us from that sh.t! :D:D

15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Haha! No thanks, but can we interest you in a striker?

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. Nikola97

Nikola97 New Member

CSKA Sofia
    Bulgaria
    Dec 22, 2017
    He is very high-payed player about bulgarian club, may our budget is lower than his year salary :D
    Its a little proud for us, that our forward is on top 3 goalscorer brazilians in Europe right now! :)
    Haha, i think in Real Salt Lake played one of CSKA bests defensive midfielders (Sunday). How he played in MLS? :D

17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Sunny has been very good at times, but inconsistent and frequently injured.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) On the third highlight, check out the defender he beats to the ball.

2) Alas, if he hadn't come back, then that highlight against Colorado to end the season and get us in the playoffs would have been my enduring image of him.

19. Nikola97

Nikola97 New Member

CSKA Sofia
    Bulgaria
    Dec 22, 2017
    Stoichkov linked Dallas with our owner and staff, after that they signed left back from us. Two months ago, we signed Alberg from Philadelphia.. :D
    Anton is a great full back, who can play without problems in one of top 5 competions in Europe, but his choice was MLS. He has a skills to play in the best american teams ;)

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis is apparently about to snag Sacha Kjlestan from NYRB. Loads of players in and out of the club - they will have the most roster turnover, by far, in MLS unless LAG doesn't re-sign several of their vets.

21. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Interesting...for some reason Kjlestan seems like a Kreis type of player. A lot of work to do in Orlando. Will be interesting to see if Kreis can pull it off. Likely his last chance if not.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would shit on NYRB but they seem to do this kind of thing each year and are still at the very least competitive if not good.

23. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'll probably take some criticism for this, but I would have gladly traded Kjlestan for Movsisyan.

But then, I would have gladly traded Movsisyan for a box of rocks at this point.

RSLer, BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are few players I wouldn't gladly trade Yura for. Hell, I'd trade Yura for some solid corner flags

25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some traffic cones....