Evans & Bellion - WC Blog

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by Lucky Wilbury, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    This updated blog entry has been making the rounds in my email, and I figured that most here would appreciate the read, considering that the bog has been mentioned before in the Referee forum. Looks like they (or maybe just Bellion) came out of hiding to update the blog with some thoughts on WC 2014 as a whole, rather than individual games, like they did with Euro 2012. Their general theme is that the referees should have been allowed to stick to the LOTG throughout the tournament instead of refereeing differently than what got them there.

http://fortheintegrityofsoccer.blogs.com/artandscienceofrefereeing/2014/07/world-cup-.html#more

All tournament, I've thought that the comparisons to MLS' early days is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but they make that argument in the last paragraphs. Yes, players were allowed to "get away" with more, but the skill level between WC 2014 players and MLS players from '96-2007ish are night and day. When you're dealing with higher-skilled players that have more respect for the game, then pulling fewer cards has the possibility of working, when properly implemented.

Either way, the rest of it is a good read.

Alberto repped this.