Eurotrash VI: Galliano Couture Edition

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Bonnie Lass, May 31, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ?
    seems pretty standard to me... perhaps in a certain context it would sound quaint.

i'm after doin' the messages... now that's dialectical.

2. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    "Have you been to the shops yet?"
    "I'm just now going."

One person's standard is another's weird dialect.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oh dear. I guess this is a case of American = weird dialect. I hear nothing wrong whatsoever with "I'm just now going." I don't hear it so much that I am not sure what an alternative phrasing would be.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what to do with "I'm after doin' the messages." Huh? Vermont, maybe? Oh no, Canada, probably. You know Canadians, always messing with poor Swedes... (and voila, we're back to football!)

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    scotland. it means "i'm off to the shops".

i know of only one other example of shopping and conveying information being commonly expressed using the same word - dutch boodschappen.

oh, another: in french some people say faire les commissions for shopping, and faire une commission means to pass a message.

note that in all cases this refers particularly to grocery shopping.

5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    #380 Smulan, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Try changing the adverbial of time from "just now" to another like "next week" or "tomorrow". How does that sound to you?

Which parts of Scotland would that be? I'm going to need a source for that one, please. Otherwise...

Scotland: "I'm away to do/get my messages." = "I am going to do my grocery shopping now."
    Ireland: "I'm after doing..." = "I have done..."

Oh... and football. (There you go, jocasta! Got us back on the ball smoothly, no)

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    inner hebrides

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, it sounds ridiculous. And yet, "I'm just now going" does not. There's no accounting for idiomatic usage, I suppose.

(nodding sagely) Yes indeed, the proper respects must be paid to football. And just at the moment, the way Team Sweden is playing, and the way FIFA and the Swedish FA are acting, I feel like "oh... and football" is just about as much respect as the whole mess deserves. Adverbials are more important, on the whole.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, that's done all over. but the title says this thread is supposed to be about sewing. and i don't see a lot of that being discussed either.

so let's bring it all together: which one of you girls is going to knit me a scarf?

9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Oh good heavens, no no no. One uses a thread to sew (or sometimes to sow, if it's discord), not knit. And though I'm good at poking things with sticks (science!), I'm not a knit-wit.

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Today in dogs:

A new hire for Linköping FC can't wait for spring and green grass. But wait, what's that she's holding (in the third picture in the slideshow)? Is that a chihuahua? Have chihuahuas come to Linkers at last??

When I first saw the picture I thought, oh dear, someone's sold the poor child (only 16) a brown rat, under false pretences. The dog's name is Otto and the sidebar claims his breed is miniature pinscher. I am dubious. But what do I know from dogs.

11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this whole section got along just fine for years with almost no modding until certain elements found it as a place to wag their little willies. and it doesn't help to quote posts that obviously need deletion. it just prolongs them.

blissett, Romario'sgurl and bungadiri repped this.
  13. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Awww, I MISSED it! I need to keep up better!

jocasta and blissett repped this.
  14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Haha, this thread is now showing me ads for yarn! (hope it doesn't start showing ads for willie wagging)

15. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    right, let's try that again:

But the hair... The hair!

16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I have just seen somewhere that one of the WWC venues is called "Tim Hortons Field". I trust someone who goes there will give us a review of what the stadium snacks are like. Although they couldn't possibly live up to my imagination.

17. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Tim Horton was a famous Canadian hockey player in the middle of the 20th century. He played for the Toronto Maple Leafs (Laughs) for 20 years and won five Stanley Cups with them, and they haven't won one since. More to the topic though he opened a coffee shop and an astute policeman named Ron Joyce became his partner and when Horton died he bought him out for a million dollars. There are now 4,000 in Canada and 1,000 in the States. Tim Hos and double-double are part of the Canadian vernacular. Joyce is now a billionaire and lives near Hamilton so makes sense his company bought the naming rights. Not far away in town there is also Ron Joyce Stadium.

I'm not sure who has the concessions contract but it would be unlikely if it wasn't Tim Horton's. Which would mean coffee shop with lunch items.

Hamilton was a blue-collar steel town and has always had a good local sports scene and is hometown of Melissa Tancredi.

gricio61 and Micol repped this.
  18. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    A proud Grandpa has told womensoccer.de that Conny Pohlers gave birth to a healthy little boy named Theo this morning.

gricio61, debzy, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I feel a jocasta rant coming on.

debzy and blissett repped this.
  20. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    A rant? I want a lullaby!

blissett repped this.
  21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I want a drumstick!

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The spit-take-and-spluttering that followed my first reading of this astonishing and improbable news would probably have been... amusing to some.

So. Many. Questions.

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    In Sweden, every day has a name. And according to my desk calendar, today is Conny day. And Konstantin also. She should have named the tyke Konstantin. Course in Sweden she could have just named the tyke Conny and people would only think "Oh how quaint and old fashioned. Wait... mamma, what did you say your name is? Err... really?"

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Holy shit is German attack player sale in France today?