European Qualifiers: Italy vs. Greece & Liechtenstein October 2019

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Oct 12, 2019.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Guys like Bernardeschi or Insigne aren't superstars either. However, they are more accomplished players than Belotti, having played in Champions League and in the latter stages of that competition. While Chiesa hasn't gotten there yet, he is the only attacking player that we have that actually shows the potential to become a truly great player. In his case, you get the sense that he is off to a big club shortly and could do great things. Belotti was that guy and it hasn't panned out yet. Usually by their mid-20s, the great strikers are picked up by a big club. Until Belotti takes that next step, just play the most talented players you have using a false nine.

2. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You never know. Balo might work his way back

3. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What's the deal with Berardi? He's been playing well.

4. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya he should be called. over Grifo

5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lord Berardi doesn't play against the peasants.

Pietro Calcio and Falc repped this.
  6. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    No, thanks. His attitude would ruin the group, also isn't doing anything to deserve the callup now.
    Beside Belotti and Immobile the only striker i would call is Cutrone, but he needs to find a team where he can play more.

7. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't be dense. Mancini will make tactical changes against better opposition in order to prevent that from happening

8. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne is one of the best wingers in the world.

9. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Kean and Balo are the type of gifted strikers that we need on the team. I hate this perception that is surrounding Balo right now, he isn't the cancer he used to be. He has matured based off multiple different accounts. Get Immobile out of the team, he has done way less for the national team than Balo.

10. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    The wrong perception is of who thinks that Balotelli changed. I' d like to think so, but every time he confirms the opposite. He has technical qualities , there is no doubt on that, but it's his relation with the others "azzuri" that isn't good.

About Kean: he has been considered the new Balotelli, but imho he isn't definitely.
    He doesn't have the quality Balotelli had at his age; the fact he isn't playing at Everton proves that, Balotelli was able to find a spot at Manchester City where it was even harder than Everton to compete with his team mates.

11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berardi extends with Sassuolo. Good move. If he had to gone to Juve, hed be stuck on the bench all season. Hope he's finally realized his potential.

12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're a psychic and can predict what Mancini will do in future games. Thanks

Tifoso repped this.
  13. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    any chance Mancini entertains a Candreva call up? I will admit I never wanted the guy anywhere near the national team... but... a little bit of Conte magic has turned him into a whole new player

14. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Conte always makes players over perform

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not a psychic. I just think its foolish to assume that Top Level Managers do not make tactical changes against good opposition.

16. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1. There is no evidence to suggest he has anything less than a good relationship with his Azzurri teammates. Look at his relationship with Lorenzo Insigne for example.

2. Moise Kean has fantastic quality and is one of the best players in the world for his age. He has produced at Juve (all be it a short stint) and at every single level for Italy. As for the Everton dilemma, Marco Silva is the issued. he is dumb af. He is a garbage coach who has an immensely talented squad, yet has playing them a system that makes it impossible for the creative players in the squad to attack the 18.

17. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He even made Giaccherini look good :p

Rosay repped this.
  18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Conte is a magician. He's even making Gagliardini look world class :laugh:

BTW, I can't believe what I'm seeing with Alex Meret. It seems every game he is making spectacular saves. Napoli should erect a statue in his honor because they would be nowhere without him right now.

On current form he is better than Donnarumma. Deserves the starting nod.

calabrese8 repped this.
  19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You must be new to this sport. Anyone reading this will give you dozens of examples of managers that stubbornly stick to their guns even when things don't go right.

In all of Italy's recent games we have shown to be very susceptible to counters even from opposition that is of lesser quality. There is in fact no good defensive holding player on this roster. For you to automatically assume that Mancini will magically change this when we face better opposition is wishful thinking. He has been sticking with this approach/formation throughout all of qualifying. He needs to change the formation IMO. I'm not saying that Italy can't do well, I'm just seeing a big deficiency that needs to be addressed.

20. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is where I disagree with you. The Qualifying stages is where you create how your team plays philosophically. For mancini's italy, it is a possession based style, with a fluid attack between the front three.

Tournaments are where the tactical changes before and during a match are seen. You don't think Mancio recognizes the flaws of the system? There are ways to correct it without a formation change or change in philosophy. For italy, its not a matter of the players its a matter of tactical changes. If you are playing france, would you not adapt and make different tactical decisions knowing the pace that they posses up front?

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You can't base your arguments on what you think Mancini will do. Until we play better opposition, my position won't change.

johnny6 and calabrese8 repped this.
  22. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    fair point. for this reason I hope we have some friendlies pre euro cup against some strong opposition