European options for Kelyn Rowe

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For Rennes he would probably have to prove himself in the reserve team first.

It's the long-held debate about whether it would be better to be in the reserves of a club in a "bigger" league, or the first team in MLS. Rowe, I feel, could get playing time relatively quickly in MLS. It woud depend on the team that drafted him, and their needs. Kids like Kitchen, Okugo, etc. were thrown into the fire right away.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Spain Latin American players can apply for citizenship after three years. Sergio Aguero just got his Spanish passport and he's been there for nearly five years.

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Good point but aren't foreign reserve leagues longer? I know the games are pretty sporadic but I believe its a decent "season" (going off English reserve games). I think the MLS reserve league is only 10 games. Granted its the first year back and anything is better than nothing. I wish MLS loaned players to USL/NASL teams more often.

A foreign team is more likely to loan him out than MLS if he makes it of course.

4. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about MLS reserves is that they may only have a 10 game MLS v. MLS schedule, but they are free to fill up the rest of the calendar playing USL, PDL, or whatever club team they want (I think).

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You'd figure, the "normal" - or more probable route - in France is the reserves, then a loan out to the 2nd D, then a loan to a lower tier team in Ligue 1.

The pay progress should be better in France too.

6. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    I guess I need to see Kelyn Rowe more this fall. I saw him in just a few U20 games and also in the Cal Poly game this past fall. I just didn't see anything THAT special that I don't see sometimes in other players. And he hasn't exactly been coached well with the NT ... long throw ins over and over? Ugh. So I would worry about his tactical awareness and range of creativity if that's the solution that Rongen tells him to do. We do not have a hugely creative NT team that moves well off the ball, which is something of which the European teams are very skilled. However, I hope he is successful as I root for all Americans. I'm willing to eat crow later if he gets picked up and gets substantial playing time :)

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I thought his off the ball movement was very good, especially compared to Americans at this age. His movement help set up his goals, the two 1v1's against Guatemala and that header he narrowly missed as well.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Still no link for Rowe being at Rennes at the moment?

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He posted this on his Twitter yesterday: "Checking out Renne France"

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh man Rennes would be just about as ideal as you can get.

11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bshredder should have an article up about Rowe's trials in Europe soon.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Maybe Rene is just a chick from France that he is checking out.

13. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSS has a article on Rowe at Rennes:

"I finished my second day of training [Wednesday] with an inter-squad scrimmage. I have played fairly well, but as always there is room for improvement, which I plan to change. The staff and players have been great to me, making this experience that much better."
    He goes to Germany next month, but no teams are named.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    If that's really his biggest factor, it'd be wise to postpone Europe for a while. Not exactly common for teenage first time pros to walk into Bundesliga/Ligue 1 starting lineups.

If he decides against Europe, would the plan be another season at UCLA followed by MLS Superdraft? Or are one of those supplemental draft things an option? Admittedly I've given up trying to follow MLS' various rules and regulations about such things.

16. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, if he decided against Europe, then I would think his best bet would be to finish school and go into the draft. Am I wrong? All these MLS rule are extremely confusing, but I don't see after the transfer deadline he could be signed... or would he be put into some draft at this point.

Doesn't seem like he is in a rush to leave UCLA though.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I wonder who'll be the first player to break MLS's 4-5 year ironclad contract rule.

It probably won't be Rowe though.

PS. "I'll play for whoever wants me" is a redundant phrase.

18. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take that to mean he'll sign for whomever give him first team training/minutes, no?

19. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Belgium, Holland, Denmark, and Portugal should be in Rowe's mind. The better teams in those leagues would be a good development environment. The competition for playing time is not easy, but if he performs well he will be given a shot. France will be a little more difficult.

Go to Germany or Spain? He could be riding the pine and fall off the radar quickly. He is a good young player, but he has some learning to do.

20. alexanderjs93

alexanderjs93 Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a lot of the countries you mention, the foreign player rules are also significantly more liberal than Spain or Germany... another thing to consider, especially in light of the fact that, as reveal in bshredder's interview, he has no EU connections.

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Belgium is good because of being able to get a passport in 3 years. Holland has a non EU minimum salary which is pretty high (expensive) and Denmark can have some high taxes. Portugal has been a mixed league for YA's.

Norway could be an option as well at least the top 2 leagues. I believe the 3rd division recently had a rule change and they now have restrictions on non EU players.

There is always Sweden, its been a good destination for YA's.

22. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Belgium - It also has a minimum salary requirement, but I think it will be a landing spot for a lot of YA's.

• Holland - It is still a league that must buy, develop, and sell talent. Rowe may be good enough for a team to invest in.

• Denmark - Taxes are not applied for the first 3 years, I believe.

• Portugal - a more difficult cultural transition for many Americans, but I think a potentially very good league for some of the US's more technical players to develop.

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ceres mentioned in the now defunct Feilhaber thread that the tax breaks have been extended to 5 years.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I believe that a U-20 can ride at half-salary for 2 years.

15% for 3 (or now 5?) years.

And I like the Danish League style a lot.

Because it's a good league, currently ranked 6th over the 5 year average but 3rd in UEFA in 2010-11.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to be 25% for 3 years, then jumps to around 50% or something. Now they changed it to 26% for 5 years. That's why Benny was considering renewing his 3 year Aarhus contract.