European opportunities for Wil Trapp?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Clint Eastwood, Dec 10, 2012.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm not sure if there is any correlation between relocation and wanting to off-load your best players... The San Jose - Houston transition was really awesome because the team was kept together.. I know that from anecdotal experience

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's a correlation between relocation and the club wanting to off-load players. There may be a correlation between relocation and the players wanting to be off-loaded.

Winoman repped this.
  3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    work permit issues?

4. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Greek passport

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greek grandfather and Greek passport.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $1.25 million is quite low. I think he'd be willing to move, especially after taking the steps to get his Greek passport. But midseason, Columbus in the playoffs and he's the captain, he's coming off a bunch of USMNT caps.

$3 million actually seems fair since it would likely cripple the Crew's chances this year.

neems, ChuckMe92 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh, I'm going to leave that post because it deserves to be mocked, seeing as how I just read about the passport

largegarlic and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I thought it was low too but would Blackburn really have the money to throw around like that? I know in the past they've been a PL club, but they just got promoted from League One.

Hopefully there are more suitors

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Looks like he is signed through 2020 - so two years after this season... $1.25 million might be low but it's a starting point... so the sides maybe able to work something out..

Personally, I doubt he moves give the reason Brian states with it being the middle/late part of the MLS season, Trapps importance to the team and Columbus being pretty much in the thick of things.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Based on my unscientific perusal of transfermarkt it looks as though Blackburn hasn't spent hardly at all on transfers in the last 3 years... the only significant one I see is Adam Armstrong a striker from Newcastle who was on loan at Blackburn last season and did really well. Rovers bought him for $2.2 million (or about)... so.. It doesn't appear as if Rovers are big spenders these days... not sure how the promotion to the championship will effect that.

neems repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Would be cool to see him and Weah on the field at the same time.

But bleh it’s still the SPL. Celtic used to be okay since they’d get more CL games.

At least the Rangers are making a comeback to make the league a little competitive.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing out there other than this "MLS Transfer Alerts" tweet. Are we to believe that this account has inside sources?

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moved to YAA.

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Haha would be comical if weah, trapp and Perez all move to Celtic this window.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can’t see this. Not now anyway unless Celtic sees Trapp as the heir apparent to Scott Brown. Brown’s 33 and will be 34 at the start of next season but he hasn’t slowed down. There is significant interest and rumors surrounding Olivier Ntcham, who mans the middle of the park with Brown, but he’s more of an attacking presence than Trapp. I haven’t heard a lick about this in all the usual, reliable Celtic blogs, forums, etc. so my first inclination is that this rumor was pulled from thin air.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to believe these "out-of-nowhere" move reports more than the ones that get all the press week on week. But this one would seem pretty thin.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's got Greek citizenship, so let's see him at Olympiakos. It would make the pee bags of Central America seem like child's play.

20. Alex Blanton

Alex Blanton Member

Queens Park Rangers
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018

BostonRed repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has the Greek passport so I would assume because of that he would not be subject to the minimum salary requirements of non-EU player in Holland. But if the transfer fee is too high then it’s too high but i think the wage demands could be worked around.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  22. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Midas Mulligan and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  23. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Jeff Carlisle at ESPN:

"One source said that Blackburn Rovers, who made a $1.25 million bid for Trapp last season that was rejected, has renewed its interest, but Columbus president and GM Tim Bezbatchenko sounded as if he's inclined to keep Trapp stateside."

24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is the real question. Worth paying Blackburn that much. We could probably crowd fund it just to make him go away out of tv reach.