European Opportunities for Mike Da Fonte?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arsenalfc08, Oct 22, 2009.

1. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    http://www.jbsfc.com/#

Father is from Portugal. Mike played college ball at Bryant University.

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/msoc/2009/News/5-6_NLI#

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I take this kid left and is not finishing out the season at Bryant. Talk about a kick in the teeth for the program. He couldn't at least wait until the season was over? His stats aren't overly eye catching. The coach quoted is not the Bryant coach but this guy seems to think Mike has the tools to make it abroad though it won't be an easy road. I wish the kid luck. I'm interested in where he trials and who is looking at him. Does anyone know much about his game? I'm interested.

Edit:

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/msoc/2009/Stats/mountbry.htm

Maybe he hasn't left. He played on the 18th against Mt. St. Mary's, a 2-1 loss, where he was a sub. Overall Bryant are 3-11.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Does Fonte rhyme with jaunt or jaunty? :)

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I was suprised by that quote too Vann. I hope he realizes what he is doing. Does trialing with a club effect NCAA eligiability if you do it during the season? I thought you had to wait until a school break or something?

I'm guessing from the article he is looking at spanish/portugese leagues. His father is from Portugal. If he can get a passport it would open up more countries to trial in.

Bryant plays today at 3pm.

5. US Soccer Rep4

US Soccer Rep4 New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    This kid is legit. I saw him play at Bryant a few times and we recruited him. Coach Purcell at Bryant likes to play kick and run and this kid trys to play soccer. He would do well in a program that plays or trys to play real soccer. I believe that he stands a good chance of making it in europe, but I agree he should look at a few other clubs while he is over there.

6. US Soccer Rep4

Dec 23, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    I researched this and found through my contacts that he will be training with Benficas first team. I also found out that they have already seen him play and may sign him upon arrival.

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benfica? I'm excited and scared at the same time.

8. US Soccer Rep4

Dec 23, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    We see that he actually signed with Benfica and they loaned him out to the Spanish 2nd Division side, Ferrol. The local news in La Coruna, Spain even mentioned that he was coming over and joining the team.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Very interesting. I think Racing de Ferrol is actually in the 3rd Division, the Segunda B which has something like 60-80 clubs spread out in groups. Typically some of the La Liga clubs have their reserves sides in that division so there's some good young talent floating around. Nonetheless, I'm impressed if he did sign with Benfica and they thought enough about him to loan him out for some experience.

10. US Soccer Rep4

Dec 23, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    This kid was playing for Rio Ave in the Portuguese first division. Right now he is in the DC United training camp which starts tomorrow. I saw him play on TV in Portugal and this kid is a hidden gem. If he is an American someone needs to get him on the US National Team.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the head's-up! If he's that good, I hope he sticks with DC!

12. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chances are hes not that good.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Confirmed in preseason camp with United:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ews-and-notes/2012/01/18/gIQAVxom8P_blog.html

Perhaps interestingly, lots of foreign connections in that camp. In addition to Da Fonte, you've got Andrew Dykstra (played in Germany, recent trial in Scotland); Seth C'DeBaca (season or so in Mexico I believe); Jed Zayner (trials in Europe after high school); Robbie Russell (long career overseas before returning to MLS); and even Matt Oduaran, who has had looks with Nigerian YNTs.

14. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Trial fails at DC United. Maybe there is a place for this kid to play, but if he can't make DC United things aren't looking too good for him.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Transfermarkt says he's now at a Portuguese club called Sporting Espinho, which I believe is in the third division. I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A thorny situation?

17. Soccer 48

Soccer 48 New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    New York, NY
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, he is at Espinho. Its a division three side and is just a slight step above the PDL. No real pay, but hey, if he gets seen by someone he could get lucky. The kid is very good.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kid?? How old is he now? 24?

If he doesn't make a breakthrough by the end of this season, he'd better go back to college and finish up the degree

19. Soccer 48

Soccer 48 New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    New York, NY
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Think hes 21 or 22 now. Two years of hard work and maybe he will make it? Do you know anything about Espinho?

20. Soccer 48

Soccer 48 New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    New York, NY
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just saw an article on him on the USL site, but they got it wrong. He was playing at Espinho in Portugal in the third division or as they call it, 2b. He was released by Espinho and then picked up by Chaves, another third division team and they loaned him out to an amateur team. Kid seems to be pulling the wool over every ones eyes.

21. Soccer 48

Soccer 48 New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    New York, NY
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's an interview on the USL site:

Q: What led you to play in Portugal with SC Espinho and now Pedras Salgadas (on loan from GD Chaves)?

dF: Well I had been playing for the Flames and luckily enough my agent had come and watched me a few times. We we were able to come to an agreement and then he brought me over to Portugal where I first went on trial with Olhansense in the 1st Division. I wasn’t able to stay there because they had very bad money issues, but then my agent brought me to SC Espinho where I was able to work hard enough to receive my first contract. During my time at Espinho, the coach took me under his wing and showed me how to play my position. I was able to play and start the entire season. My first season was a huge success because I was able to learn so much.
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/745535.html

Testudo repped this.
  23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. Testudo