European opportunities for Aaron Long

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 23, 2018.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And that's what RB should be asking for. The idea of a trial run for an arguably NT starter is just offensive. It's either they will buy him for a discount price or he gets "not good enough" stamp.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think RBNY would be against a loan to buy deal. Their roster for this season sucks, losing Long will not be the difference between winning MLS Cup and not. If they manage to retool the roster over the next couple of transfer windows, they may welcome the option to add back one of the best defenders in the league and make a real push for the Cup. If they still suck, they can sell him.

Now whether Long likes this setup, I don’t know. Personally I would stay away from anything West Ham.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They have the joint-fourth worst defensive record in the league and started a left back at CB in their last league game. With Winston Reid probably on the way to MLS, I think they're mistaken.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm listening to Herculez Gomez's interview with Aaron Long from a couple days ago. One thing Gomez says that I hadn't heard reported before was that MLS/Red Bull rejected offers for Long from not only West Ham, but also Eintracht Frankfurt and a French team.

I don't know when the Frankfurt bid would have been, but that rumor started off this thread during the 2018-19 winter transfer window, so it could have been as far back as then.

Aaron later says that based on the interest he's received, he sees himself playing in either the Bundesliga or the Premier League.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    that’s interesting. Red Bull’s know the international transfer game so it’s likely either the offers were quite low (indicating a player that the buying teams viewed as a high-risk or that RBNY didn’t want to receive large sell on clauses) or that MLS squashed it (which I don’t think it would).

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long is a high risk purchase. In his late 20s, he has never been tested at a high level.

largegarlic and DHC1 repped this.
  8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He better get to it turns 28 later this year.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta imagine he's decent quality for many sides who may not want to or not possible to spend big this summer.

10. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder why not a Premier League club? Surely some might see him as some decent depth for the next few crucial months.

13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    maybe get on the field immediately and impress quick and garner some interest from a prem team? Or just get on a team where he can start and play every game and make some real money?

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He'd legitimately make Liverpool better right now.

dougtee and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember........ Reading are managed by Veljko Paunovic. He knows Long from his time in MLS. So there’s definitely some familiarity. Paunovic didn’t do squad in MLS - mostly down to the fire ownership - but he’s turned Reading around. They are decent squad to watch. Good landing spot for Long, i think.

17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup and still in contention for a promotion. If the move happens we could have guys in 3 championship clubs that could all jump to the premier league next season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to seeing Aaron Long shut down Paul Arriola in the Championship Ply-Offs.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think (hope) both are gonna be on a redeye from Orlando to London Sunday night so they can talk about it then.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here comes Bogert again, bogarting the reporting that a transfer move from MLS is almost a done deal. Did that w/ Cannon & Reynolds too. Now is saying this one could also take a late turn.

The French clubs we'd have to deal w/ the non EU limit crap again. Loan team loans him in hopes of buying him. No thanks.

Considering he can get a WP no worries, rather he go the English route. Probably fits his style better too. I hope one of those English clubs could lead him to sneaking into the bottom of the PL again.

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here you go!

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hell, even if he only got 4-8 games, sign that ASAP.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long has a Scouser haircut. He'd be a perfect fit in Liverpool. As for playing for Liverpool FC...... I don't know about that. The again, what the hell do I know? :D

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hell yeah, willed that rumor into existence. :D

Gorky and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.