Julian Araujo at UD Las Palmas FC (olf Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Jan 21, 2019.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Araujo (an '01) was a member of the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship team.

UniversalAdvice and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    until Galaxy shows they have made systematic changes, do NOT sign a contract with them.

ChuckMe92, UniversalAdvice, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Unless he has a Euro passport, say no to an English club and being part of a loan army.

sakibomb523, eliwood and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach is hinting he might be gone overseas before the season is done:

http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/2020/09/17/araujo-has-the-right-stuff-for-the-galaxy/

Head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto foresees big things for the youngster — and they’re likely overseas.

“He’s growing and learning a lot,” he said of Araujo. “It’s very weird sometimes to find players that can grow and learn as fast as he can. We are very excited to have him because I think he’s a wonderful player.

“He’s playing with us right now, but I don’t know where he can finish. Right now we have him, but I think the future for him is really good. We are very happy with him.”

thedukeofsoccer and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor Twellman said he has conversations with Euro scouts who follow MLS Araujo's the name that comes up among the most.

I'd like him to go in the offseason because the Galaxy is a dumpster fire. But I don't know if he's ready for one of the top leagues, because his touch/comfort on the ball is highly suspect at this pt.

You'd like to see him work thru it, while getting more experience, below a top level. But you also don't want to see him drop to u-19's or some reserve team playing at really low levels. That would signal a major regression.

He practically didn't play at all in usl. Went virtually straight to MLS. And his experience there has been off/on for a year and a half. Maybe going to an Ajax 2 for a 1/2 season, then integrating w/ the 1st in preseason, wouldn't be sod bad. Replace the guy he backed up (playing up a level) in the u20 WC.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    europe gets julian away from the galaxy and el tri recruiters too while helping him hopefully develop his best position

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like see him go to a top 10 league but it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to stick around for another season in the MLS. I expect we will see a completely different Galaxy next season... new coach... and several new players.

BTW... do El Tri recruiters not deal w/ European Players? I get that LA is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from Mexico but I would think that a move to Europe would make Mexico want to steal him even more and there is Skype/Teams/Zoom etc... As a matter of fact... I would think his chances of getting a call-up might be improved by being in the MLS. But I am not sure.

9. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  10. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
  11. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1348230440591745026 is not a valid tweet id

True or not what a crazy window for Americans

ShortyMac, PalmettoSpur, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know anything about Ekrem Konur and why a Turkish journalist would know about the transfer of Araujo to Spurs before anyone in the US or England?

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not a fan of this particular rumor. The whole big club loan army thing isn’t ideal.

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32 repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor had to be be generated off some shred of truth. It didn't stem from MLS Transfers' Twitter.

I would glean there's interest from Tottenham, maybe even an offer at around 5m, but Galaxy aren't very interested in selling him. They cleared out their rb's for Araujo to start. So they may have to be blown away.

If the options are join Spurs' loan army or remain w/ Galaxy another year, I'd choose the latter even if they are dysfunctional. We see what the EPL loan armies did to Yedlin, Miazga, & EPB.

Araujo needs someone invested in his further development, especially technically, & hopefully play at an intermediate level. Ideally it would be the type of move Aaronson & McKenzie got.

However, it may even come at Galaxy under Vanney. Schelotto was a hot mess. And he's the only pro coach Julian's played for.

Plus he could get plenty of int'l fixtures between now & the end of the season.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    galaxy would be absolute morons to keep him instead of 5m+

EPL loan armies didnt do anything bad to the players you mentioned...i dont prefer it...but they are all still on track to do big things...yedlin has had a fine run by any measure

if the options are staying with lag or go to epl....i would leave in a second...even if that means loan army status. Vanney aint develping nothing. name a player that has stayed in MLS and developed into an international difference maker....maybe you could count those on one hand over 20+ years of mls...meanwhile there are scores amongst those who have left. its a no brainer. leave.

i agree he and all players should pick carefully their transfers....great to have a good developmental destinaton...but I think the totenham move is awesome.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    That’s ridiculous. Osorio, Lareya, Akinola, Delgado have all improved and even thrived under Vanney.

Araujo can use another year in MLS, and needs to stop picking up cards and committing silly fouls in bad spots.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the loan armies did something negative to those players. Miazga's defense regressed, Dre's offense did, & EPB has the same issues when he finally got pro experience. EPB is in a little worse league than MLS. Miazga is in only a little better one. Doing mediocre there. This after being so good at 19. Dre getting surpassed internationally by a few MLS players.

MLS isn't the only place you can stagnate. And joining a loan army is a much longer commitment on average than the 1 extra year he'd play in MLS.

Staying in MLS for the first 2 and a half years of your career doesn't impede a player from being an int'l difference maker. Dempsey spent 3 years then left. And here we're talking about a teen, not guy in his early mid 20's. I guess McKenzie can't be an int'l difference maker. He spent a few years, is significantly older. Same thing for Reynolds. He actually debuted well before Araujo & is slightly older.

This is the norm for our development track. So if you're right we're doomed. We're never going to be a very good nation having to rely on other countries for development. You're not applying any sort of nuance here.

19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. The link said that Juve was also interested, which makes absolutely no sense. It feels like some random journo went, "Well, Americans sure are coming to Europe recently. What are two teams that have bought American right backs before?"

No way Juve is interested in another American right back.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It already had been reported Juve were interested in Araujo, along w/ several other Americans (including Reynolds). Scroll a few posts back in the thread. So that's not a justifiable reason for a belief the report lacks any legitimacy.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are any of those players moving the needle at all interanationally? nope. not even close.

thriving in MLS is one thing....and one thing i am not concerned with. im talking about USMNT/international level development...which is simply not happening in MLS.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you even know what tottenhams plans are for araujo? you assume a lot.

yedlin did not regress. he has a lot of miles on his tires, if anything.

Miazga has hit a lull but that has a lot to do with failed opportunities, imo. He was in a big 5 league with Nantes...it just didnt work out. Yeah I agree his ceiling was high af when he left MLS and now not as high...but i still think his story is not written.

I agree that I dont recommend loan army status for any nat.....but all things considered...getting out of MLS asap is a no brainer, imo.

araujo has almost double the minutes reynold does in MLS...dont know what youre on about if youre using reynolds as a reason for araujo to stay in MLS....

these guys should shoot for the moon.....stop aiming low, imo.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you sign a contract you're at the mercy of that club for however long. 1 is much less than 5, or even the remainder of Julian's current contract.

And you're not going to Salzburg or Genk thinking that's the end. Not even close. They are conduits. Teams who will probably play you, develop you further, then move you on to a bigger club before too long.

Our players made the same mistake you're advocating of trying to go to a big club straight away. Then they're not as financially invested in you, as trusting as toward other players, and you may well not be ready for that big of leap from MLS (who you're admitting is not a great league).

You stagnate from not playing, getting passed around to random clubs, possibly at lower levels than you were already at. Disproportionately more players fall thru the cracks from short-sightedness. This is not a strategy with a good track record.

And going to a Tottenham straight away doesn't make you a Spurs' caliber player. That happens independently. Can somewhere else first.

Now we should much more often do it the right way, demonstrating patience & strategy. Discretion is the better part of valor, as Philly's Ernst Tanner is showing.

Pl@ymaker and adam tash repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it all depends on what the plan is.

Do you know Tottenham's plan?

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't project to be very favorable. Two of their highest rated players - Serge Aurier & Matt Doherty are prime-aged right backs. And the rumored fee for Araujo would be the lowest they paid for anyone the last 4 yrs.

When it comes to Reynolds, it's a lofty goal to play for Juve soon, but I can see a coherent plan to have some optimism. There's an interactive but brief loan w/ a mid-table Serie A club in the interim. They need a right back due to midseason attrition. That would be good experience & allow him to prove something quickly to raise his value. Then maybe he's a viable player to Juve, and would potentially soon replace Cuadrado, who'll be 33 at the end of this season.