European exploits in Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by goalcrazy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. goalcrazy

goalcrazy Red Card

Mar 7, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which team do you think would rely most on their European players to succeed in this year's Gold Cup?

2. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    guadeloupe!

3. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Or Canada - not sure how many MLS-based Canucks will be called/allowed to play. (ie, can't see DeRo playing, and probably not Jakovic or Hainault....RSL always released Will Johnson though)

4. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i'd say canada but Jamaica could if they chose to use European born players. there are so many players thats born in the Uk that could represent Jamaica to the point where if Jamaica chose to use them they could put out at least 2 solid teams for the gold cup.

if the Jamaican coach ever decided to call up those English players with Jamaican background, Jamaica could easily be as good as mexico & the U.S.

5. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    That's quite the grand statement re: Jamaica. So if they could seriously be as good as USA/MEX with those English-based players why in heaven's name aren't they being used?

6. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Same reason a lot of guys don't cap for Canada; they think they can make England.

7. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    @RedCoats....yes, I know that's the reason. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of that lads statement above!

8. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, that was pretty obvious...I honestly don't know how I didn't pick up on it.

9. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    you're acting like mexico is miles above Jamaica. Jamaica has beaten mexico in the past using mostly Jamaican born players, so how ridiculous is the comment ? for some unknown reason the JFF don't like calling up too many European born players. Jamaica has a lot of quality options in Europe but they just don't call them up, they rather use players born in Jamaica. a lot of the Jamaican supports been asking for the jff to use more euro born players.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCzxAsnkzc"]YouTube - Jamaica vs Mexico( 1-0) Ganaron los Reggaeboys HD[/ame]

and they play Argentina in a hard fought 2-1 loss

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpszd4_egM"]YouTube - Argentina 2-1 Jamaica[/ame]

10. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Don't recall saying Jamaica had poor players - I was suggesting, I thought clearly, that it isn't that JFF does not want the players but rather, much like Canada, the Jamaica-eligible lads from Europe have no interest in the JFF (a prime example being David Hoilett who seems unwilling to select either Canada or Jamaica).

Mikey - you cite excellent performances for Jamaica v. these other nations. What then of their performances v. Canada - not exactly a world power. Results have been close barring the 3-0 loss when we fielded a C-team in a meaningless game.

11. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    any team in concacaf can be beaten on any given day... Guadalupe proved that at the last 2 gold cups. mexico beat the U.S 5-0 does this mean the U.S is not world class ? then you got canada that shocked everybody and won the gold cup in 2000.. the top 10 team in concacaf are not ridiculously for apart from each other.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gold Cup is an official FIFA competition, if coaches call in the players, they have to be released or the clubs can be sanctioned.

I.E. if Canada wants DeRosario, New York has to let him go.

13. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Costa Rica NT will be calling around 10 Europe-based players for the Gold Cup competition.