European Club Form Draft - Signup Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by poetgooner, May 16, 2017.

Tags:
?

Should we do optional rule/tournament?

Poll closed May 24, 2017.
  1. Yes, we should do the optional rule.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, we should do a tournament.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some people have expressed an interest in another draft, and since we've had 2 international all-time drafts back to back, I reckon it's a good time to do a club form draft.

The drafting rules are the following:
    1. Standard snake draft format. 4 hours window between 9am-11pm your timezone.
    2. A player can only be picked once, as per usual
    3. Every player must be assigned a club form. Only European clubs are allowed.
    - Example: If you pick Zidane (Cannes) you get the Cannes version of Zidane
    4. A club can only be assigned once per team
    - Example: If you've picked Maldini (Milan) you cannot pick Nesta (Milan) but you can pick Nesta (Lazio)
    5. A club can only be assigned to a maximum of 3 players (subject to change depending on number of participants) the entire draft
    - Example: If Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta have already been picked, Barcelona is no longer available for anyone.

Optional Rule
    Setting a maximum on the number of clubs that can be used. For example, if 12 people participate like last draft, it would take a minimum of 44 clubs. We can set a maximum of 55 clubs to be used so once that number is reached, people can only pick from those clubs, and no new clubs can be added.

This rule can be useful to help incentivise picking players from smaller clubs. Without this rule, there is no opportunity cost to picking from bigger clubs.

Player Evaluation:
    ASSIGNED CLUB FORM ONLY!

Voting
    The winner will be decided by a vote by the participants.

Optional Tournament
    Tournaments usually don't work because it's just a long-winded way of finding out the winner. If the majority of the participants are interested in doing a tournament, we can make it more interesting by doing two things:
    1. Winners of each round gets to steal one player from the team they knocked out
    2. Each remaining teams MUST do at least one trade of players with another remaining team (with the exception of a final.)
    3. Drafting rule #4 still applies, so if you have Messi, you can't steal or trade Iniesta into your team.
    3. Every participant must vote in EVERY tournament game or they lose points in the vote.

This is a signup thread. Please express your interest here. I'm setting a minimum of 12 participants. I'm giving this 7 days. If there's enough interest in that time period, we'll go ahead.

Please vote in the poll as well. You can vote up to two options. Once we have the final numbers of participants, if more than 50% of the participants favour the optional rule/tournament, we'll incorporate them.

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Don't really want the 4 hour window mate, sorry. But don't mind sitting out if everyone else wanted it.

In the 'old days' it was always 12 hours minimum before missing a pick, but of course it used to move faster mostly. The timezone windows idea I understand though, and probably I could easily do 4 hours mostly, but I just couldn't guarantee it, at least not unless you made it more like 8am to 8pm - I could see getting caught waiting for picks to be made at 10pm and getting very frustrated and literally losing sleep as I'd prefer to turn off my technology before that point (although I know evenings are good times for some people to pick, and sometimes later more than earlier).

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Although I suppose I could take a different timezone! Making it more like 5am to 7pm where I live or something which might even work better for me (not that I'd be around at 5am). I'll see how it goes, but yeah I'm not so much for a speed draft, even if I'm fine with a quicker one with no profiles done etc. In the past others have had more trouble keeping to deadlines than me though (even 12 hour ones sometimes).

5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We can always change the time window. Last draft was 6 hours window.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Although if it meant that if the previous drafter didn't pick by 8pm my time I'd not have to pick until the next morning that'd maybe be fine. Maybe I could also leave a choice or two with the following drafter if it didn't reveal my plans too much!

But yeah overall I just found that draft on the other forum La Maquina invited me to (you are there too Poet Gooner) too fast for my liking and with too much 'pressure' (not placed by other drafters though) to be making late evening picks, s well as not enough chance to have a day or majority of a day away from the draft (although again I could leave some instructions if I wanted to do that).

I think I liked the medium pace drafts the best, where we all try to be prompt and sometimes leave picks with others (I ran a draft once and was taking picks off others moreso than leaving my own, even by text messages!) but where missing a turn isn't so easy and sleep isn't interfered with potentially.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok mate cool (didn't see this until after my most recent post). I'll keep an eye on how things progress and let you know. I think it might be that people on Big Soccer do prefer a bigger window (maybe at least 8 hours) but like I say if not I don't mind sitting it out if you have enough without me anyway although I'd take part if I thought it wasn't going to inhibit my sleep etc.

8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That can never happen, even with a four hour window.

If your turn arrives at 7.01pm or later, it'll be 11pm before your 4 hour window is up, so you can make the next pick in the morning. With 6 hours, it'd be super relaxed, I'd imagine.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, in literal terms you should be right - cheers for confirming too. Logging off before 9pm might not be popular still though with other drafters though haha (and there might come the pressure from ones-self not to do that).

Like I say though, I could even take a slightly earlier window if it suited better, and be placed accordingly in the order.

10. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. Minty

Minty New Member

Celtic
    Scotland
    May 17, 2017
  12. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Count me in.

14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In ... I want a tournament too

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you for the interest. We still need a few more participants me thinks.

17. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    how many?

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Including me and PDG, we only have 8. I think we need at least 12 to have a have decent draft. Preferably 16 to have a decent tournament.