Europe tour--June 2017 (USWNT v Sweden and Norway)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, May 26, 2017.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    #101 sitruc, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Rose Lavelle may have just pulled her hamstring.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's not good either...Lavelle pulls up with what looks like a hamstring injury.

3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My stream went out. Anyone got a stream?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jackdoggy and YankBastard repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thought. Did someone punch the 4th official?

873978540919738368 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd came in for Lavelle.

I guess that means there were no other available forwards.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's over. US wins.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An unspectacular and unconvincing win. Now everybody, back to NWSL! (And we all know that Boston is not happy at the moment)

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leroux? I would've liked to see her get a few minutes, but I guess not.

sitruc repped this.
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    They leave Scandinavia with two shutout wins. So, that means everything is ok, right?

Gilmoy repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as poor as the US looked, with my optimistic hat on, I'll say that 2 wins on the road against strong opponents (who are in tournament form) is nothing to sniff at. But still I'd check the "room for improvement" box on the report card.

13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I predicted Lavelle would be a participant in a goal -- and I can blame my mistaken prediction on her hamstring. She was on her way to the goal -- or so I can say.. Bad news for Boston.

I guess Rapinoe is out of favor. I think that with Rapinoe on the left flank the US could have created more chances.

Dahlkemper is looking good at center back. Press was player of the match. I saw some intensity from her.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that Horan added something in the middle that helped; and when JJ came in there was a marked improvement on the right side of the field. Of course, Norway was getting tired.

Wagner's commentary seemed on point -- this team can play a lot better, there just wasn't much flow when it came to the attack.

And I agree, Press was WOTM.

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    fairly pathetic outing. I know that its a friendly BUT we still are not looking good that often under Ellis. As somebody else posted, why drag Leroux along then give her nothing? Stupid

Also, specifically, Casey Short is terrible

EbaJones repped this.
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

See what you did? Now I'm on to a two hour Marley fest.

No woman no cry might have been closer.

blissett repped this.
  18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized after the West Coast swing in early August, the USWNT will have played 8 of the 10 next top ranked FIFA squads in 2017......Korea DPR and the Fightin Tancredi's being the exceptions.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

To bad....just when we get a player who can bloody opponents.

jackdoggy repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think Short did quite well across the two games. Good defending for the most part even if her distribution was lacking. She definitely did enough to stay in the mix, imo.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In the 2nd half, Short had to defend against Caro Hansen, who's arguably the best dribbler in woso. So it was a tall order,and at least the US kept a clean sheet against two teams that have been a thorn against them in the past

22. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Of course, I'm a Thorns fan..."

Enough said.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Twice.

24. LetItReign

LetItReign New Member

Seattle Reign
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Seems likely, on both counts.

Alternative take from a friend, though: Not playing her for a while is allowing folks to miss her enough to forget they were mad at her about the kneeling, because frankly, they haven't actually looked any better without her, so that's not a reason to not play her. He described it as a non-suspension suspension. As in, the people mad at her for the kneeling get the satisfaction of feeling she's out of favour (so experienced a consequence for her decision to kneel), but she's not outright suspended, so the folks who supported her don't get up in arms.

And the team isn't actually playing better without her. You can ever argue they're playing worse without her - that her creativity is needed. So Jill bides her time a bit & then can get away with letting her back into favour.

Her days as a starter are likely over, except for rare occasions where they want to rest a starter prior to a big game. But the players given a chance to generate more offense in her stead haven't measured up.

Couple that with the fact that any of the younger players could be injured at any time, and that Heath's got back issues now (I've found that once players get back injuries, they're never the same), there should be a spot for her in a more limited role, as long as she stays healthy to 2019.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So I thought they were two good solid away wins against a really good opponent we've had a lot of trouble with and an up and coming traditional rival, both by a team somewhat limited by injuries.

If we're going to complain about beating lesser teams 10-0 at home it seems graceless to also complain about 1-0 wins against good teams on the road, but I guess that's just me.

I thought Short played rather well, shutting down Schelin to the point that they moved her away, and reasonably well against one of the truly dangerous players on Norway. I thought Long played very well, except for her traditional awful giveaway. I thought Pugh played unobtrusively well; she seemed committed to making other folks look good.

I thought Carly played okay-- Pia's book on her seems to be to mug her at every opportunity; I expected Sweden's number 3 to point at her and yell "Neener Neener!" at any moment. What goes around comes around.

I thought Horan should have been red-carded for drawing copious amounts of blood-- that's how my prep-school games were called, and the foul looked intentional to me. I think she's auditioning for Carly's role in due time.

I'm gonna assume that Naeher had a good read on the cross off the bar and was more concerned with where it would wind up that it might go in-- but I'm by no means sure of that.

I thought O'Hara played well.

I think Dunn and Brunn were the heart and soul of the weekend, but have we ever seen Dunn gassed before? She sure was about the last ten minutes against Norway.

jackdoggy repped this.