Europe tour--June 2017 (USWNT v Sweden and Norway)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, May 26, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT heads to Europe soon. They will first play Sweden in Gothenburg on June 8. The game will be televised at 1:30 pm ET on ESPN2. The team will them travel to Sandefjord to play Norway on June 11. That game will be televised at 1 pm ET on FOX.

Ellis has named the 21-player roster for the upcoming games:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), Abby Smith (Boston Breakers)

DEFENDERS (7): Abby Dahlkemper (NC Courage), Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars), Jaelene Hinkle (NC Courage), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash/Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)

FORWARDS (5): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC), Sydney Leroux (FC Kansas City), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/Olympique Lyonnais), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (Washington Spirit)

Ellis will name 18 players to each game's roster.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...layer-roster-for-matches-in-sweden-and-norway

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...on-in-adverse-conditions-europe-sweden-norway

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 lil_one, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    First an important note from the USSF article: The players WILL play in the June 3 NWSL games and then travel to Europe for the start of camp (my assumption from reading the note in the article: they'll travel on the evening of June 3 or on June 4, and Chicago and Seattle players will miss the June 4 game).

Then, some notes on the roster:
    --Dahlkemper and Hinkle return after months of not getting called up. Brian and Horan also return after injury, and Leroux returns after pregnancy. Ertz returns with her married name.
    --Harris is out with injury, and instead of calling up Campbell, Smith gets named to her first roster (previously only called into a training camp).
    --Heath is out with injury.
    --Morgan is named to the roster despite sitting out recently in Lyon due to a hamstring strain. No Williams, McDonald, or Ohai.
    --Krieger is not named to the roster. (speculation: perhaps one of the previously unknown players dropped from contract???)

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late to edit, so I'll just apologize for my poor reading skills. :oops: I reread the note in the article and it says they'll play the matches "on the weekend of June 3" and NOT "the matches on June 3." So no players should miss the NWSL games; the team will likely travel after the June 4 match.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Whether or not Krieger's USSF contract is dropped, she's been one of the better defenders in NWSL this season. On form she deserves to be there.

Morgan Brian has been injured and/or pretty poor for Houston (part of the malaise inflicting that whole team). Right now I'd rather see Colaprico. But again, seniority and/or contracts dictate.

Leroux is obviously there because her contract mandates it. Lynn Williams misses out as a result.

It seems like Dahlkemper and Sonnett are competing for one spot. I can see them both on the 2019 team with a roster of 23 (especially if Ertz is moved up to midfield as I would suggest). For now Sonnett has proven more mistake prone. She is actually quite good at passing and shielding attacking players off the ball, but she gets overconfident in those abilities and commits one costly turnover every game or so. Dahlkemper plays it safer.

Good choice on Abby Smith as the GK backup. Now give her playing time! At least a half.

EbaJones repped this.
  5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yep, I'd like to have seen Williams included. It's crap that after all the crap from the women about wanting the same deal as the men, they women's system is still saddled with long term contracts and basically guaranteed call ups.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #6 luvdagame, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    ...wouldn't good players leave the game without long term contracts tho? even with the new increased salaries, club soccer is poorly supported, and doesn't suggest "career" to good young footballers.

...agree that I would have liked to see williams included. but I expect that as the game develops, we'll see more and more good players develop in nwsl, and more good players left off each roster.

more stuff for us to argue about.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't think so. Let's say Syd was called in because ... contract.

If she wasn't under contract, would she have retired after having a kid? I doubt it. I think she still would be back. The veterans that continue to play at a high level will continue to get called in and get (probably bigger) paychecks. The long term thing may keep a player or two playing longer, coming back after birth or injury. But, it may not. Maybe that calculus is driven by whether the player graduated from college - what their other options are.

On this point, an interesting person to look at is Rodriguez. She is, apparently, still on contract. I think that the terms of the contract are such that she will be on contract through her recovery period. She's all "I'll be back!" Is it possible that she's saying that because her contract would be terminated if she said "I'm done, it's been a great ride." I don't know.

So, she's going to rehab and come back. How long is she on contract after she returns to the field?

My bigger point is that they *Never* really wanted a CBA that was like the men's. They were lying.

But, my smaller point is that, imo, having roster flexibility - the ability to vet younger players and give them a nice WNT payday is better than keeping the A-rods, and maybe Sydney's around.

*I'm a big fan of Syd's, btw. I hope she returns to be a contributor to the WNT.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    veterans?

most people on this board seem to want the veterans to be cut adrift. without the long term contracts, the occasional wnt check along with club football's pittance will not keep good players around for the length of time it takes top experienced teams to develop.

absolutely.

they did what any union group would do. present an opening offer they could negotiate down from. it was just outrageous. but part of the reason it was outrageous was that club woso cannot support it's players like the men's game can. and until it does, the imperfect system of long term contracts is where it's at if you want good players staying in the game..

as club woso gets more financially able (it'll take a while - fans still support the wnt way more than the weekly game), long term contracts will die out.

...and my reply is maybe. but i'm not sure. if you're not going to be on a wnt contract, you're not going to postpone starting your real career for very long even if you get an occasional callup (unless dad & mom continue to support you). those first few years of foundation in starting a real career can never be made up.

there are no shortcuts. you have to pay the women handsomely if you want them to put aside everything - including career - train at the top level, and stay in the game. we do it for the men with club contracts. until we support club woso, we have to do it for the women, with the imperfect nt contracts.

*big fan of syd as well. but with some limited flexibilitly creeping in, i know i'm not going to see all my players in every roster.

cpthomas repped this.
  9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    She made the roster.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changes to the roster:
    --Morgan Brian out with injury and not replaced.
    --Alex Morgan out with injury and replaced by Lynn Williams.

The roster stands at 20, and 18 will be named for each match.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect there is a bigger story behind this, but for now, I'll just leave this here:

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the personal reason was aside, I sure hope she didn't take 10 days to make this decision & deny someone else a roster spot as a result. Players can't always drop everything & fly over seas for a week long camp the day before the camp starts. There is a reason they typically give them 3+ weeks notice before the friendly/game.

If I were any of the half a dozen wide / wideback players on the cusp of making the USWNT roster I would be pissed that someone took 10 days to make a decision like this, & the reasoning would only be the cherry on top if indeed it ends up being for what everybody is insinuating.

blissett repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If Jill Ellis is short of players, by pure coincidence the U23 are in the neighbourhood playing the 4 nations tournament.

Reading the speculation, I can't see a player refusing selection for this reason. And I think FIFA rules force players to accept a call-up ( defo in the men's game)

14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forces players to accept call-ups & then allows them to drop out at the last second for personal reasons?

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What she said a week ago about the call-up:

The personal reasons may have been sudden and unplanned. And before we go the way of twitter, I'll add that, imho, the speculation that I've seen there is baseless rumor at this point.

Under FIFA rules (at least for the men), a club is required to release a player called up for international duty within a FIFA window. A player is also "obligated" to accept the international duty, and if a player refuses, FIFA can impose a ban on that player playing with his/her club for 5 days past the FIFA window. I've never seen that rule enforced on the women's side although I can remember a couple instances of it being used for the men. But we also know that players are often excused from international duty for a variety of reasons (deaths in the family, weddings, etc.).

blissett repped this.
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That 5 days extra is not a great punishment to be honest. It probably means like a one game ban most of the time.

17. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate that there seems to be a bit of underlying resentment towards Hinkle over this.

jnielsen and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an odd punishment as it's really designed to punish the team for not releasing a player. It does hit those teams that play during a FIFA window, but otherwise it's pretty benign. Still not sure why FIFA wants to force players to accept a call-up.

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If FIFA don't do that the clubs will win the power struggle ( in men's football) and will stop players from playing for their national team. See Sir Alex Ferguson with Ryan Giggs and Wales.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I understand the weird dynamic and power that clubs have, but there should be a better way to allow players to decline calls.

Here's how it's worded in the rules:

As a general rule, every player registered with a club is obliged to respond affirmatively when called up by the association he is eligible to represent on the basis of his nationality to play for one of its representative teams.

There should be more room for player voluntary decision, especially if the player is eligible for more than one country (and especially if the call-up is potentially cap-tying). I'm not sure the best way to do that.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of any situations where its been used to strong-arm a dual national although there may be some. But we do see players "waiting it out" if a call-up would be cap-tying. Coaches have those discussions beforehand in private because no one likes the optics of forcing a player to play who doesn't want to be there. Actually the rule, imo, is more to prevent clubs from strong-arming a player, asking them to refuse a call-up; its to take that decision and pressure off the player. However, it has been used by federations to threaten marquee players, but it usually doesn't end well optics-wise for those involved, imo (I'm thinking of Ribery with France and more recently Matip with Cameroon).

Of course, all of this more applies to the men's side and doesn't fit Hinkle's situation.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speculation as to why she pulled out
    http://blackchristiannews.com/2017/...o-wear-homosexual-pride-jerseys-during-games/

23. CrewFan56

CrewFan56 New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was already familiar with the speculation. The point was more that, regardless of the reason, if Jaelene knew 10 days in advance & still waited to the last minute to withdrawal, then that likely cost someone else a chance to get called up. Hard for most to drop everything & race off to a camp the day before it starts, especially one in Europe.

blissett repped this.
  25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, it takes time to make a decision like she apparently made.

If she's made the decision it appears she's made, that's her right. And, for having made the decision she pays a price. That's how it works.

(I don't agree with her beliefs, they're ignorant. But, I won't complain because she's willing to stand on her beliefs and pay the price.)

blissett repped this.