PBP: Europa League Final: Chelsea v. Arsenal

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, May 21, 2019.

1. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sarri said:

"I love the Premier League and I'm lucky I'm at Chelsea but at the end of each season you have to sit down and talk.

"In my opinion, I deserve to stay at Chelsea but my opinion is not enough."

David Luiz: "We had some ups and downs but we have improved a lot and learned a lot this season," the Brazilian said. "We finished well and won a trophy. It is my third title in Europe with Chelsea, they believe in my game. Sarri is a great guy, a great coach and he deserves this."

Pat Nevin said: "If Jorginho left right now, Manchester City would batter the door down to take him. That's how good a player he is."

Pat Nevin: "Maurizio Sarri's actually built something which is really nice looking and I've enjoyed watching it being built".

I am a big fan of Pat Nevin.

For me the Jury still out on Sarri. That said. You know it’s actually quite a sweet story a bloke winning his first trophy at 60 after managing mostly in the lower leagues in Italy. There is something very authentic about that.

Ninjatend0, Crawleybus and Wrath repped this.
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Undefeated in the Europa League.

Hazard, we shall see.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chelsea blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Genuinely happy for him. He was very emotional.

1133859527479185408 is not a valid tweet id

5. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Man this board can be a tragic bunch. Third, one final, one trophy (putting Arsenal to the sword). Every other club save Man City and Liverpool would take that. And as amazing as they were this year, Liverpool will be shut out again unless they finish off the Champions League. No trophies in a decade. I don’t want to be one of those clubs who’s like, “Yeah, you won trophies...but not all the trophies, so...”

I’m sad about Hazzard, too, but losing him won’t mean we will be Chelsea-Hazzard. We’ll be different. It’s a shaky analogy but the Warriors are better without the best player in the world. They flow differently; they play better as a team. We don’t have the same supporting cast, but if we spend well and Sarri has a full pre-season to continue developing his system, there’s no reason to think we can’t be competitive for fourth and grow into the squad over the next few years to compete for the League.

All that’s assuming Sarri stays and we can work around the transfer ban and maybe assuming we spend well is a big if...but I’m more of a glass-half-full kind of guy.

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If his name really was hazzard I would call him The Duke and make zero apologies for it.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well...let's not make comparisons to Dubs. Chelsea don't have anyone in the same galaxy as Curry...nobody in the same solar system as Thompson, and nobody in the same league as Green. Yes, I agree, Chelsea will need to play a different game w/out Hazard, but it's really not the same as Warriors w/out KD.

Wrath repped this.
  8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    And yes, I know you said "shaky" analogy. :)

JimWharton repped this.
  9. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Kante is an all-world player. Out of position, but still a core driver of success on two PL champions and a WC winner. We have young talent we like (Pusilic, CHO, RLC, Christensen) plus strong PL talent like Rudiger, Kepa, Dave. Not the Warriors, to be sure, but I don’t believe we’ll be mid-table...unless the transfer ban completely cuts us off from acquiring new talent. Do we really think we’ll be scrambling for a Europa League spot with Everton, Watford, Leicester, and Wolves? Not buying it.

lobomojo repped this.
  10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bruce buck caught having lunch with Juventus president. Was he negotiating sarris departure? If Sarri is being negotiated out....who next?

Sky pictures showing Chelsea team leaving hotel an hour after they were supposed to due to an audience with some Russian bloke.

Arsenal left baku already as they had already booked the day for their parade...:D:ROFLMAO:

Hazard didnt do the man of the match interview and to be fined by UEFA....really.
    UEFA really do hate us.

We have won a lot of Euro trophies. Only Liverpool have won more. We equal Man United on Euro trophy wins.

Today's word is Emphatic.

11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    2019 Sorri Premier League form. 18 played, 5 losses 5 draws, 8 wins 29 points, 25gf 23 ga for +2 gd, 6th overall, behind Crystal Palace, 1 more loss from being out of top 10.* Not good enough, especially since it is excruciatingly painfully dull to watch.

Great joyful win, great to destroy Arse's hopes and dreams but as DR I pointed out, most really came from not playing Sorri ball in 2nd half.

*only good news tots 10th in 2019, vastly overrated is pooch, how does he have offers and not job pressure

Yahtzee repped this.
  12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This win puts us into Pot A for the Champions League draw, as well.

Fantastic to see the players so happy about this trophy; a trophy that fans don't seem to know how to celebrate. I mean, you've got Giroud, who won a World Cup, drinking champagne out of it and acting bonkers. Cech, on the other side, crying after losing.

13. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm thrilled we won it, but there is something odd about it? I can't quite place what it is, maybe it's that there were no massive 2 legged ties with another heavyweight?

Paok
    Vidi
    BATE
    Malmo
    Dynamo Kiev
    Slavia Prague
    Frankfurt
    Arsenal

14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Arsenal faced more traditional powers like Sporting, Napoli, and Valencia. But still.

15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    StamfordBridgeLions and Wrath repped this.
  16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ninjatend0 repped this.
  19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal fans meanwhile have absolutely fallen apart. AFTV really is the gift that keeps on giving :D

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D gotta agree with most of what the guy in the hat was saying though

they need a rebuild and a spine infusion top to bottom far worse than us,

21. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, but he's somewhat wrong about the investment part. They do well with net spend, but they have spent a lot on players. Aub, Lacazette, Sokratis, Xhaka...

But I hope they keep Ozil. He's the gift that keeps on giving....Cups to other teams.