Europa League 2016-2017

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Sep 14, 2016.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the 24 clubs that advanced, 10 came from Pot 1, 8 came from Pot 2, 3 came from Pot 3, and 3 came from Pot 4. 3 of the 6 worst clubs accodring to the club coefficients advanced. Here are some average club coefficients by Group Stage performance:
    Clubs that advanced: 46.838
    Clubs that were eliminated: 21.979

First place clubs: 51.202
    Second place clubs: 42.474
    Third place clubs: 25.946
    Fourth place clubs: 18.011

2. Gio-13

Gio-13 Member

Aug 26, 2007
    watching skywalkers
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    You're little biased there I guess.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Here's my predictions

Athletic Bilbao - APOEL
    Legia Warsaw - Ajax
    Anderlecht - Zenit St. Petersburg
    Astra Giurgiu - Genk
    Manchester United - St. Etienne
    Villarreal - Roma
    Ludogorets Razgrad - Copenhagen
    Celta Vigo -
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Olympiacos - Osmanlispor
    Gent - Tottenham Hotspur
    Rostov - Sparta Prague
    Krasnodar - Fenerbahce
    Borussia Mönchengladbach - Fiorentina
    AZ - Lyon
    Hapoel Be'er Sheva - Besiktas
    PAOK - Schalke 04

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a feeling Legia Warsaw will advance.

Here are Mine:

Athletic Bilbao - APOEL
    Legia Warsaw - Ajax
    Anderlecht - Zenit St. Petersburg
    Astra Giurgiu - Genk
    Manchester United
    - St. Etienne
    Villarreal - Roma
    Ludogorets Razgrad
    - Copenhagen
    Celta Vigo - Shakhtar Donetsk
    Olympiacos
    - Osmanlispor
    Gent - Tottenham Hotspur
    Rostov
    - Sparta Prague
    Krasnodar - Fenerbahce
    Borussia Mönchengladbach - Fiorentina
    AZ - Lyon
    Hapoel Be'er Sheva - Besiktas
    PAOK - Schalke 04

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How so?

6. Gravizapa

Gravizapa Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Latvia
    My predictions:

Untitled.png

7. Gravizapa

Gravizapa Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Latvia
    My another pedictions

Безымянный.png

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    APOEL - Anderlecht
    Copenhagen - Ajax
    Rostov
    - Manchester United
    Celta Vigo - Krasnodar
    Gent - Genk
    Lyon - Roma
    Olympiacos - Besiktas
    Schalke 04
    - Borussia Monchengladbach

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke 04 and Borussia Monchengladbach are in the bottom half of the Bundesliga (although that could change this weekend). I wonder if there has ever been a Champions League, Europa League, or UEFA Cup game between clubs from the bottom half of the same league.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Juventus vs Sevilla last season. Juventus and Sevilla were in terrible league positions at that time last season. Also remember Dortmund 2014-15, although I am not sure if they faced anyone else in that position. Actually the whole Group D last season in UCL was all bottom in league except Man City. Juve, Sevilla, and Monchengladbach all started the season in their leagues terribly.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about two clubs in the same domestic league (like Schalke 04 and Borussia Monchengladbach), who can only meet in the Knockout Rounds.

12. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Aren't seeing Ajax winning away against Copenhagen ...

Ajax is a shadow of its historical self (even recent history) and other than a few star players they're feel rather average.
    Ajax comes directly from a badly played draw, where they were unable to rest their key players
    Copenhagen might well have their strongest team ever.
    Copenhagen comes fresh from a 5-0 fleecing where their key players were rested for half the match
    Its over 1100 minutes ago that someone scored on Copenhagen when they had home advantage.

Sure, Ajax might well be better over 2 matches (frankly I'd be surprised if they doesn't win in Amsterdam, and then its only a question about how well they do that), but in Denmark I'd say that its Copenhagen's match to lose.

13. Persian Empire

Jan 26, 2016
    California
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Rostov 1-1 Man Utd

Wish Azmoun played more

14. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Get a bet on Man U winning this. Free entry into next seasons Champs League they aint going to miss. 11/8 buy some money :)

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It will likely either be Man Utd, Lyon, or Schalke. Even if Man Utd are serious about it, I am honestly not sure if they could overcome Lyon and Schalke especially over 2 legs. I am still not convinced by them in the EPL. They are still dropping silly points.

Lyon appears to be a strong contender. I was especially impressed with their performance against Roma. Even though they lost the second leg, they had 2 open goals that they missed. Lacazette, Fekir, Tollisso, and a few others can be really hard to play on their day. They also have extreme team spirit which is something Man Utd don't have.

Schalke is another team that is not to be underestimated and have great team spirit. Konoplyanka, Caligiuri, and Huntelaar are good players. Their defense is also solid as well. Can be extremely strong at home, and seem to really be prioritizing the Europa League.

I expect it to be one of those three.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The only way Man Utd win the EL is if they put all their eggs in that basket. They have too many injuries and too many difficult matches coming up in England to battle effectively on two fronts.

17. So you're saying they will try to go as far as possible in the CL and try to make it in the top 4 of the league, but to do the same while being in the Euro league is to heavy a burden. While the chance to win the EL with automatic access to the next season's CL plus successfully fighting for a CL top 4 spot is far bigger than to do the same as a CL contender.

Then it comes down to only one reason to get into the CL and do nothing whatso ever to win it....the big pay out cheque for being in it.

18. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schalke totally outplayed by Ajax. 90 minutes of domination.

It's a miracle it only stayed 2-0 in the end. Schalke's goalkeeper did well.

19. Well, Ajax sofar this season, has been iffy when converting chances into goals. I hope it doesnot cost them against Schalke. The good thing is they kept a clean sheet, so Schalke has to score 3 more than Ajax. When Ajax manages to score 1, it almost becomes impossible, given the form of Schalke this season.

20. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    True, if they manage to give this lead away they have only themselves to blame.
    Schalke at home will be another story so I hope Ajax wil take the return very serious.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Man U got lucky drawing Celta, but I suspect even that matchup might be harder than they anticipate.

The Lyon-Ajax match should be really entertaining. I remember about 10-15 years ago being in Amsterdam as a tourist and attending an Ajax-Lyon CL match. The atmosphere was incredible.

22. I really regret Ajax didnot get ManU as they are far the weakest of the three. Koeman had a go at the quality of ManU and I think MoMo will hate him now:D
    With ManU I would set a Final for Ajax at 65%. With Lyon I donot have that confidence, as FCS04 managed to score 3 times while being far less in quality compared to Lyon. Hope for the best though.

23. soccerstreams

soccerstreams New Member

Manchester United
    British Virgin Islands
    May 4, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europa league Semi Finals
    Predictions : Celta Vigo vs Manchester United
    My Prediction is Manchester Will Win 0-1

what is your's ??

EvanJ repped this.
  24. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wow, Ajax beat Lyon 4-1 with a team consisting of an average age around 21/22.

Biggest chance for them to reach an European final since 1996. Would really be great!
    I think United will beat Celta so that would make a great final with 2 big historical teams.

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Probably 1-1 for first leg, and Man Utd to win the second leg somehow. However I hope Celta Vigo goes through.