EURO2016 #tousenfrance

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Blondo, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Indeed no suprise at all for the ones who have seen this squad the past 4 years under Wilmots.

The only thing that disappoints me is that the players never stepped up against Wilmots. Now they're critisizing him but they had 4 years to do anything and they just stood by. Though the players are good they lack any intellect on the pitch and seem to lack personality off the pitch.

avdmeers repped this.
  2. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tough match...

Midfield got shredded... Fellaini came on to "fix" it, defense struggled w/o Verthongen/Vermaelen

Wilmots should most definitely go. Can't blame this loss on him due to the lack of those two missing. Should have brought in Michy earlier. Lukaku missed a lot of chances. De Bruyne not his best. Hazard was pretty good

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    If Wilmots resigns who will be the next coach?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wilmots should go, but there are issues with this squad that go far beyond the manager.

They showed footage of Wilmots going crazy on the touchline before Wales even equalized at the defensive positioning for that corner. Which were confirmed after the match when he admitted they had trained on defending that block move they used on the corner, only his players ignored or forgot about what had been agreed upon.

This is a recurring theme with this generation, dating back all the way to the Vandereycken/Vercauteren period. Managers like Advocaat and Leekens each in turn were confronted with that nonsense.

We will be helped by a more tactically astute manager, but only in so far that these players finally learn to be tactically disciplined in a consistent manner. For the full 90 minutes. Too many of them have proven incapable of it.

avdmeers repped this.
  5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who knows? Everyone just assumes that Michel Preud'homme will just take over, even though it would mean accepting about 60% of the money he now receives from Club Brugge and working with a smaller staff.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I want Yannick Ferrera, though he might find it hard to work with some of the egos in the dressing room. But he is a good coach, certainly tactically and he would play positive football.

7. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No Belgian coach is good enough to actually get decent results with this (overrated) squad.

A good foreign coach is too expensive unfortunately

8. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    There's three Belgian coaches who I rate pretty highly. Preudhomme, Gerets and Vanhaezebrouck.

Preudhomme may be hard to pry away from Brugge, and the same goes for Vanhaezebrouck and Gent. Gerets is retired but I wonder if this job may entice him since it's less intense than being a club manager (except for the lead up to a tournament).

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not sure if I agree. Preud'homme's tactical work was praised even in Holland. The issue is more the fact that even with a tactically strong manager, this side lacks the mental fortitude to play disciplined football for 90 minutes.

Sad to think that we have already seen the best of some of these players. Kompany, Vertonghen, Dembelé, ... all have another tournament in them, but they won't be on the peak of their abilities. There aren't even any guarantees that Hazard will still be such a dynamic player two years from now. KDBs skillset should age better. But I think we will decline somewhat in terms of our average level. Which is what makes this lost opportunity such a shame. We should have had a top manager in charge these last four years.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think Gerets is a bit past it too as a coach, imho. He is 62 years old and his last proper job was Marseille (already 7 years ago). Don't believe in Hein as NT manager either, even though he would be tactically superior to Wilmots.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    - With his health problems Gerets will not take the job
    - MPH, I feel, would take the job if offered ... even taking a pay-cut or maybe the portrait rights cover the difference. He has a bit of Goethals in him ... the obsession ... studying every minute detail ... exploiting the slightest weakness of an opponent ... preventing them from showing their strength ... he does his homework thoroughly, while knowing very well what our squad can and can not do
    - Heard that in Danish media Morten Olsen is being rumoured
    - Van Gaal, despite the MUFC debacle, has shown interest in the past and more recently ... he's tactically astute ... will chew you up and spit you out if you don't exactly do what was demanded of you.
    - Hiddink ... fell in love with his very attacking brand of football in 1998 ... he even set up the likes of Australia and 2nd best Korea to play very gutsy ... IMHO he redeemed himself at CFC and has been a longtime admirer of our players and the Belgian taxman ... he's my favourite and I'm guessing the one who most likely will deliver sparkling attractive football.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't really want Hiddink. The disaster that was Oranje's Euro 2016 qualification proves that he is no longer the manager he once was. Morten Olsen seems like a figure who is equally past it. Van Gaal... He might be worth a chance, but I'm not sure how this group of players would respond to such an authoritarian. Can you imagine how much he would clash with Hazard?

13. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Painful defeat. I know the feeling. We've been there as well many times. It's a shame because I don't think you will get a better chance to reach a final or to win a tournament in the near future. Maybe with a better coach. At least a lot of players are still young so you still be among the better teams Europe has to offer in the coming years.

14. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Belgium's line-up was the youngest to start in a tournament in roughly 50 years (basically since the beginning of the EC) ... these kids will be hungry and will be ready to prove themselves to a new NT manager. Also, don't forget that we were missing our best defenders to help organise the defence and that showed in the goals we conceded ... no Kompany, Lombaerts, Vermaelen and Vertonghen is a huge loss ... no excuses though ... I said earlier that anything less than SFs would be a failure ... another way to be wasteful.

15. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Only the Iceland GK had to make more saves than Courtois :oops:

Belgian guy repped this.
  16. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    That Denayer guy and That Lukaku Jr should be nowhere near the NT.

However , I dont know if Belgium does in fact have anyone else to add in its defensive line , with Kompany , Vermaelen, Vertonghen injed.

Should have scored more to the defense of no-namers of Wales.

What About WCQ 2018. Who do u guys "fear" the most, BiH or Gre?

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Lombaerts and Engels.

If we don't qualify comfortably from that group, whoever takes over from Wilmots will come under immediate scrutiny.

18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Bielsa rejecting club offers .. can only mean ... welcome Marcelo
    Hiddink and Van Gaal, reportedly, being courted by moneybags England and Russia
    The KBVB wants the next manager to have loads of experience according to Belgian media ... what can we afford? ... maybe we should start paying peanuts because Wilmots is worse than a troop of disorderly monkeys #discipline #yourmonkey

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-R...Louis-van-Gaal-is-financieel-onhaalbaar.dhtml

Linard saying we'll only pay peanuts ... the only way we could attract a top manager is if he doesn't mind taking a huge pay-cut ... sounds like they're playing the waiting game (and the bobos are on holiday) ... hoping to get rid of Wilmots cheaply and then praying there's anybody decent left that needs the job badly. Bielsa took the Lazio job (but yea that was just tongue-in-cheek) ... Hiddink reportedly refused the Russia job but is interested in the England job (Hiddink's experience in Russia should give him an extra boost ... another reason why he remains my favorite for the Belgium job).

Looking at the likes of Ireland, Austria, Portugal, etc. ... those aren't big countries ... according to Linard they should be poorfags like us.

20. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    So right. I don't believe J.Lukaku is the best left back in our country. If so we are in big trouble. In Denayer's case, he was our 5th choice CF, after vermaelen, lombaerts, vertonghen, kompany and engels. Could have played Ciman instead in left back, not his position but a much experienced man than Lukaku. Even meunier wouldn't have got a chance if lombaerts was not injured. Fact is Wilmots is never a coach who will take a chance for the improvement of the team, he would just put quality players(loads of them) in particular positions and hope they will individually win every matches. Thats never gonna happened. The teams that we have in WC 18 qualifiers, we will win the group I think, hopefully with a new experienced coach.

21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It's a shame that there's no prize for topping your country's leaderboard ... still had a more or less decent ranking globally but worse than in previous tournaments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm kind of shocked Belgium did so well. Didn't feel like they created that much on the pitch.

25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Usually we create lots of chances (IIRC both KDB and Hazard got plenty of love from opta, whoscored, UEFA barometer, ... and the like) ... but it's a shame that many of these are not that great or we're too wasteful ... what baffles me is that we're up there together with Germany and even Spain with regards to expected goals per game ... IMAO the eye-test didn't confirm that or I have to get my eyes checked.