News: Euro takeover of the Premier League?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by JaredSS07, Nov 20, 2008.

1. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League and British government in battle to prevent Euro takeover
    The British government will move next week to block French plans to pass control of English professional sport, including Premier League football and Premiership rugby, to a pan-European sports "super regulator".

Something tells me Platini has way more to do with this than just tossing in his support.

2. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The FFF want to run European football in the same way that they govern their own game. Basically, rather than clubs going into debt to develop themselves and then paying their way out, they want clubs to be part owned and part funded by local councils and government instead and all major decisions to be made by a central body of lawyers and accountants.

The practice is flawed and if you ask me, it's just another way to limit the development of the EPL and bring it in line with the rest of Europe so that they can catch up without having to really make the effort.

Pratini will inevitably throw his suppor behind it, and seeing as it follows his own countires flawed example, he'll give it all he's got.

It won't happen though. FIFA like as little government intervention as possible in the domestic game. Plus, the EPL and it's clubs make far too much money and earn far too much success to suddenly change to a way that limits that success.

Seeing that Lyon have won 7 straight championships and look set for an 8th this year, I wouldn't have said the Franch way was the best, personally.

Let's see, every major decision concerning the EPL to be made by the rest of Europe? Hmmmmm......? It doesn't take a genius to work out that the systemis clearly open to abuse from those who look upon our game with envious eyes.