Euro qualifiers - Holland vs. Germany and Estonia

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Voorselectie. No idea what Strootman is doing there.
    Malen is called up

Stand poule C
    1. Noord-Ierland 4 - 12 punten
    2. Duitsland 3 - 9 punten
    3. Nederland 2 - 3 punten
    4. Wit-Rusland 4 - 0 punten
    5. Estland 3 - 0 punten

[​IMG]

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Glad to see that Ryan Babel is called up again. He's going to be the go to guy on the front line!!

3. Pre selection of the Orange squad
    Keepers:

Marco Bizot (AZ)
    Jasper Cillessen (Valencia)
    Jeroen Zoet (PSV)
    Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord)

Verdedigers:
    Denzel Dumfries (PSV)
    Hans Hateboer (Atalanta Bergamo)
    Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale)
    Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus)
    Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
    Daley Blind (Ajax)
    Nathan Aké (Bournemouth)
    Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace)
    Terence Kongolo (Huddersfield Town)
    Joël Veltman (Ajax)

Middenvelders:
    Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo)
    Frenkie de Jong (FC Barcelona)
    Donny van de Beek (Ajax)
    Tonny Vilhena (FK Krasnodar)
    Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)
    Davy Pröpper (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille)

Aanvallers:
    Quincy Promes (Ajax)
    Steven Bergwijn (PSV)
    Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon)
    Luuk de Jong (Sevilla)
    Wout Weghorst (VfL Wolfsburg)
    Ryan Babel (Galatasaray)
    Donyell Malen (PSV)
    Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord)

4. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Such a disappointing selection. So many players that should never be touching an international team like Oranje.

We know what we have with Babel, Strootman, Berghuis, etc

Bring on the young players like Stengs, Boadu, Koopmeiners, etc who have all been much better and are much younger.

Also no Dest for Jong Oranje is a heartbreaker. He clearly wants to consider the Netherlands if they call but it seems like they just aren't calling. Will probably get the call for the US team and he will take it.

Time to move on from the old and start implementing the young talent to go with the core group.

Brilliant Dutch, Oranje98 and bunbohue repped this.
  5. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I also agree that it is time to move on from the old. Bring the young players who start from the bench; they are hungry and Estonia is a perfect game for the attacking young players to get some minutes ( ;) after we build a lead :):thumbsup:).

Oranje98 repped this.
  6. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Disappointed with the selection. I thought Koeman would make some changes with the new season but nearly the same old selection bar Malen & Veltman who are welcome additions.

Koopmeiners > Strootman,
    Stengs > Berghuis,
    Boadu > Babel,
    Krul > Zoet

And not calling Dest for Jong Oranje is a stupid decision, which I really hope we won't regret.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To be fair, Dest needs a few more eredivisie games under his belt before he should get called up.

He's played all of 2 games, you guys

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ...and the CL match yesterday and he might very well start next week as Mazraoui is suspended. American supporters are pretty angry that he isn't being called up to their senior team. He's already been a US youth international and I don't know if that rules him out for Jong Oranje.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I read that wrong, I thought some of you wanted Dest called up to senior Oranje.

My bad

10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like u21 selection better than to that of the senior ones. I just dont belive in van der looi. if this squad doesnt qualify for any of the big tournaments then the whole bag (management) are rotten.I also think for some like boadu,stengs this will lay the platform for the transition to the NT. like groeneveld.

Goalkeepers: Kjell Scherpen (Ajax), Jan Hoekstra (FC Groningen), Thijmen Nijhuis (FC Utrecht), Maarten Paes (FC Utrecht)

Defenders: Perr Schuurs (Ajax), Kik Pierie (Ajax), Owen Wijndal (AZ), Deyovaisio Zeefuik (FC Groningen), Justin Hoogma (FC Utrecht), Tyrell Malacia (Feyenoord), Rick van Drongelen (Hamburg), Jordan Teze (PSV), Sherel Floranus (SC Heerenveen), Armando Obispo (Vitesse), Danilho Doekhi (Vitesse)

Midfielders: Dani de Wit (Ajax), Noa Lang (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Ludovit Reis (Barcelona), Azor Matusiwa (FC Groningen), Ferdi Kadioglu (Fenerbahçe), Mo Ihattaren (PSV), Abdou Harroui (Sparta Rotterdam), Deroy Duarte (Sparta Rotterdam)

Attackers: Justin Kluivert (AS Roma), Calvin Stengs (AZ), Myron Boadu (AZ), Kaj Sierhuis (FC Groningen), Tahith Chong (Manchester United), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Mitchell van Bergen (SC Heerenveen), Jay-Roy Grot (Vitesse)

Oranje98 repped this.
  11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Also am disappointed with the current selection... :thumbsdown:

But players sometimes do sneak into the final selection even though they are not selected provisionally. So still there's still a chance for the AZ trio (Stengs, Boadu and Koopmeiners), especially if they do well in the Europa League this and next week.

BTW, Ihattaren is selected in U21. Assuming he will accept the invitation (and that means turning down Morocco NT). That's a good sign, at least for the time being. Hopefully he's impressed in U21, lights up PSV midfield in coming weeks/months, and gets drafted up to Oranje NT soon.

Finally, Justin Kluivert needs to step up his game... he has been in Jong team wilderness for too long after making a debut in Oranje.

Oranje98 repped this.
  12. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    exactly the estonia game was suppose to be the one to inject new players. I think koeman is lossing the plot trying to maintain the same squad through out. babel for me on a decline, wijnaldum is struggling at liverpool, Promes is a bench player at Ajax, Blind s Blind, no introduction needed. I hope it doesnt backfire on him.

Oranje98 repped this.
  13. I would say he should have at least twenty CL/EL matches under his belt and impressed in those before we consider him.
    Owen Wijndal is in my eyes far better than Dest.
    We can do without untested players shit. Remember the last time we put in a rookie with no experience at all? We lost the 2018 qualification because of it and that was a guy who had impressed in Young Ajax and Uxx Orange teams. Dest wasnot even good in the Ajax Young team. Remember the 2-6 trashing at De Toekomst by SC Cambuur?

wilson00 repped this.
  14. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koeman must be kidding with some of these guys.
    Very disappointing.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You forget that de Ligt started for a club that reached the Europa League final. Yes, he was only 17 and maybe should not have started the match but there were other reasons the NT did not qualify.

16. Yes it was:
    upload_2019-8-22_13-35-40.png
    The 3 points after the 2 goals errors he made killed us.
    The first place was never to be won from France, so it was up to the second place to try to secure a spot.
    Anyway, he played 4 EL matches before entering the Bulgaria match at 17yo on 25/march/2017, not a Final.
    It however underlines my position that even with his talent (Dest is far behind that in quality) and those 4 EL matches "experience" he went down in flames.

Netherlands won all of their matches afterwards except the one against France! (Thanks to Dicky) So yes we missed 2018 because of his blunders as a result of incompetent coaching by DB.
    So anybody arguing for Dest is bongos.
    Edit: And donot forget how terrible the defending was in the EL matches against Schalke and that French club by Ajax/him.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nobody ITT is arguing Dest for senior Oranje

Oranje98 and Orange14 repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There were lots of other reasons for not qualifying besides de Ligt's inexperience. One wonders if VAR would have been used and Dost's goal against Sweden would have stood. Klassen muffed chances in the same game. Blind was a horrible NT manager and so on.

Oranje98 repped this.
  19. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I know people will disagree but I'd call up Ihattaren and drop Strootman. Ihattaren was once again fantastic yesterday and is exactly what Oranje need.

Play him a few minutes against Estonia. Can't let Morocco steal another one. I am very worried it will happen. Netherlands need Ihattaren

gabrielguilarte and Orange14 repped this.
  20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can understad koemans stances on strootman. He was one of the best midfielders before his injury and ACL recovery is not easy. I mean look at Khedira at Juventus but if anything had to happen it would have been apparent in his performance at marseille which is not. He sshould be looked again for WC if he can regain his form.

21. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. Ihattaren looks like a very special talent. I rate him above Gravenberch at this time.

22. bunbohue

bunbohue Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Just one more day then a big game with the most hated rivalry.
    What are our feelings?
    Hope for a win, but happy with a draw?
    Positive moods in the camp/squad?
    What are our starting 11?
    Did Koeman has a good prep talk, perhaps discussing the Euro 88 semi final for motivation?
    What will be our game plan?
    We have the best defender in the world, but I don't think we can play head to head with this Germany team in Germany. As long as we don't give them gifts, not making silly mistakes, work hard and do our best, I'll be ok. My guess will be a draw but my heart still wants a win. Let's go!

23. So it appears we can get a balance in away results if we beat Germany, as then we got 8 wins and 8 losses with 9 draws.
    Would be nice.